Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Indy trilogy is playing on tv today and I noticed something interesting, potentially...

Both Raiders and Last Crusade (1 and 3 in the series) open with quiet, mysterious, almost ominous music --

While Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull (2 and 4) both open with loud, bouncy, rollicking throw-back numbers -- a big band style dance number and an American Graffiti road race -- that really don't suit Indiana Jones at all --

Many of you like Raiders and LC, and not so much the other two... so how Dial of Destiny opens -- with what tempo and musical style -- could very well determine the rest of the ride.

Just something I noticed today...

The Indy trilogy is playing on tv today and I noticed something interesting, potentially...

Both Raiders and Last Crusade (1 and 3 in the series) open with quiet, mysterious, almost ominous music --

While Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull (2 and 4) both open with loud, bouncy, rollicking throw-back numbers -- a big band style dance number and an American Graffiti road race -- that really don't suit Indiana Jones at all --

Many of you like Raiders and LC, and not so much the other two... so how Dial of Destiny opens -- with what tempo and musical style -- could very well determine the rest of the ride.

Just something I noticed today...
Notice how Crystal Skull starts and ends in the opposite locales from Raiders? South America, Secret warehouse. Secret warehouse, South America. Coincidence?

Wor-Gar has never been more right.

Key words:

Bland

Not a-lot going on

Putters out

Legacy character at his worst (heartbreaking and depressing)

Not real Indy just grumpy Ford takes wind out of the sails

New music sucks more Hook, Potter than Indy.

Ending is weird and flat pulls you out of the movie

Too little too late

OUCH!

Music sounds as slow as 80-year-old Jones.

The first of many disappointing reviews to come. Even Mangold has given up defending the movie and says he won't do another one like this.

Indiana jones and the free Applebee's movie tickets

Movie is so hot, they giving tickets away

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230625-172348_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230625-172348_Samsung Internet.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 0
I don't need help. I'm sure the new film will get torn to shreds when it comes out. I don't care though, the film looks like it'll be fun and a nice break from comic book stuff.
One thing I learned long ago padawan, , Avoid reading or seeing any reviews for a film you are excited for until after you have actually seen it, and figured out if you enjoyed it or not....

Because no matter how good (or bad) it is, people have learned to criticize first, as its safe and gets clicks....Youtube videos being critical out number positive ones 10-1....on everything. Negativity sells and is safe.

This should he obvious to anyone; no sequel will ever live up to the film that spawned it. Especially in modern film making. That does not mean they cannot be enjoyable films. Anyone looking to relive the 80' is always going to be disappointed.

But with so few interesting films you may want to see in a theater, its a fun night out, and forgettable if its not good. If an adult person is counting on some sort of religious experienece from a film ....they have bigger problems to combat.

Ill see it , judge it on my own. and if I get 2 hours of fun out of it...great....if it sucks....oh well.....and if it DOES turn out to be a legendary film wonderful.

Avatar 2 was a great example of this. I enjoyed both films in the theater, had a great night out with the family with a fun film. Was it legendary? No. Was it a memorable night out with the family, YUP!

What else can you really want?

Modern Hollywood will never recapture the golden years of the 80's-90's

Got get butts in the seats somehow. Disney terrified after The Flash weekend.
Comparing the trash Warner Bros puts out in the superhero genre to Disney films isn't really a comparison.

I doubt they are worried (or have ever worried) about the DCU.

More comparable recently.
IDK, MCU quality may have dipped lately but relatively speaking they’re still rolling out smash hits. Flash is tanking big time meanwhile GOTG3 just passed Wonder Woman’s worldwide box office and will finish with earnings somewhere between the first two Guardians films. Flash won’t even reach Ant-Man Quantumania numbers.

This should he obvious to anyone; no sequel will ever live up to the film that spawned it. Especially in modern film making. That does not mean they cannot be enjoyable films. Anyone looking to relive the 80' is always going to be disappointed.

Modern Hollywood will never recapture the golden years of the 80's-90's

Generally I agree with what you're saying, but...

Personally (and most people I know directly that have seen it), feel that Maverick was far better than the original, in every facet. It built on, developed, and had more emotion than its predecessor. The craft was also next level; directing, cinematography, etc. It was polished within an inch of its life.

But at the end of the day EVERYTHING, comes down to quality writing, first and foremost. Indy (and 99% of modern Hollywood fodder) is because of ****, unimaginative, dialed-in, writing.

All the carping and shredding probably won't change the fact that this movie will likely make a fortune. Like TFA, it'll coast along grabbing money from average movie goers who will see it on name recognition alone. "Oh yeah, let's go see that new Indiana Jones movie after we grab our big macs." They won't remember a thing about it, and Disney will have another franchise-breaking hit.

Oh well. Some of this is on Ford, who seems quietly determined to destroy all of his classic characters at the end of his career.
Heck, it wouldn't be surprising if Weir asked him to revisit "Witness" and he would say "Only if I can burn down the barn ".
Good thing the late night talk shows are switched off over the writers strike or we'd likely witness Ford destroying another Hot Toys figure.

I'm old school and I'll always fondly remember anticipating movies with no internet, no YouTube yammering. Just party-like lines to get into crowded movie theaters and the electric giddiness of anticipation.

Oh well. Those were the days indeed. Now, it's the cynical practice of getting spoiled by forums and YouTube self-promoting screeching that ends with "never mind, I'll catch it on streaming" and then not being able to make it 20 minutes in.

The good old days, indeed. I'll miss you, Indiana Jones...
I usually just avoid all Youtube videos and discussions before I see something, it gets rid of a majority of your complaints.

My biggest issue is that when I go see a movie and the trailers show off an entire movie and spoil a lot of the better moments. I suppose I could roll in after the trailers, since I usually have a specific seat, but I like to be on time for things...

Besides that nitpick, the influence of the internet never really does much to affect my enjoyment of something. Same with TV shows. I only look at the sentiments around a release after I've watched it for myself.

I usually just avoid all Youtube videos and discussions before I see something, it gets rid of a majority of your complaints.

My biggest issue is that when I go see a movie and the trailers show off an entire movie and spoil a lot of the better moments. I suppose I could roll in after the trailers, since I usually have a specific seat, but I like to be on time for things...

Besides that nitpick, the influence of the internet never really does much to affect my enjoyment of something. Same with TV shows. I only look at the sentiments around a release after I've watched it for myself.
Thats good ....but I think group think is real and it becomes self sustaining beyond rational discourse.

I'm an Indy freak so I absolutely adored it. I read all the reviews and don't understand why some don't like it.

Phoebe Waller Bridge was great fun though I'm sure a lot won't like her. The de aged Indy looked fantastic, a bit ropey in parts, but I loved seeing Nazis, actors speaking German and throwback cues from the old movies.

The opening 1944 sequence is peak Indy. Loved seeing him tear around on a bike again.

The runtime flew by. The locations were great, from Germany to NYC to Greece to Sicily. The film looked absolutely gorgeous.

Harrison was so great, mucking into physical action more than he did in Crystal Skull. I'm sorry if people don't enjoy it as much as I did but James Mangold and everyone pulled it off.

Back