InArt - The Batman 1/6th Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are good at futzing, Black's photos are what the figure will look like in your house. Anything you see of the figure that looks less than that, is not useful, because you can make it look like black's photos if you have talent.
I think this is really the crux of our philosophical disagreement. There are a lot of factors that go into Black's photography looking as good as it does: his lighting, his posing, his photo editing, his overall setup, etc. Lose any of those -- or even more than one -- and your figure won't look the same. And I think it's safe to suggest that most people don't have the access to (or the talent for) it all.

Therefore, saying that you should only use the best possible photos of a figure is a bit like saying you should only look at fashion models when determining if you like an outfit. Just because a set of jeans look good on a supermodel doesn't mean they'll look as good on a normal person. There's a whole subculture of people posting pictures of themselves wearing clothing in online reviews so that people can see how they look in a variety of settings, on different bodies, etc. This is no different.

The truth of the figure doesn't exist in the best photos or the worst. It's somewhere in the aggregate. That's why people like referencing multiple reviews.

Wonder why Jedha and Justin are taking so long with the reviews. Is it a marketing tactic on Inarts part of theirs to gain as many reviews as there’s a lot of anticipation, is there things wrong? Starting to wonder now..

I think this is really the crux of our philosophical disagreement. There are a lot of factors that go into Black's photography looking as good as it does: his lighting, his posing, his photo editing, his overall setup, etc. Lose any of those -- or even more than one -- and your figure won't look the same. And I think it's safe to suggest that most people don't have the access to (or the talent for) it all.

Therefore, saying that you should only use the best possible photos of a figure is a bit like saying you should only look at fashion models when determining if you like an outfit. Just because a set of jeans look good on a supermodel doesn't mean they'll look as good on a normal person. There's a whole subculture of people posting pictures of themselves wearing clothing in online reviews so that people can see how they look in a variety of settings, on different bodies, etc. This is no different.

The truth of the figure doesn't exist in the best photos or the worst. It's somewhere in the aggregate. That's why people like referencing multiple reviews.
"like saying you should only look at fashion models when determining if you like an outfit."- That is an awful metaphor. The figure black has is the figure you will have. A random girl's body is not the same as a models body. A better metaphor would be to see a photo of the modeling wearing it, then see a video of that same model wearing it.

These are the variables you claim will make it look differentL
  • lighting
    • Yes, nice lighting makes figures look good. But it doesn't change the figure. You can find nice lighting photos of the hot toys figure to compare to. When it comes to lighting just don't reference photos with bad lighting. It's more about avoiding the obvious bad elements than making it seem like 'not bad' lighting is a cheat code. It's not useful to see a photo of a headsculpt with a bright phone flash 2 inches from it for example.
  • posing
    • The reference images I posted are of museum pose. Yes, good posing takes time but is attainable if you have patience. Compare it to equivalently posed hot toys
  • photo editing
    • there is no photo trickery happening here
  • overall setup
    • what does this even mean?
The goal should always be to compare a figure at its best- because that is what is attainable to you at your house.

"like saying you should only look at fashion models when determining if you like an outfit."- That is an awful metaphor. The figure black has is the figure you will have. A random girl's body is not the same as a models body. A better metaphor would be to see a photo of the modeling wearing it, then see a video of that same model wearing it.

These are the variables you claim will make it look differentL
  • lighting
    • Yes, nice lighting makes figures look good. But it doesn't change the figure. You can find nice lighting photos of the hot toys figure to compare to. When it comes to lighting just don't reference photos with bad lighting. It's more about avoiding the obvious bad elements than making it seem like 'not bad' lighting is a cheat code. It's not useful to see a photo of a headsculpt with a bright phone flash 2 inches from it for example.
  • posing
    • The reference images I posted are of museum pose. Yes, good posing takes time but is attainable if you have patience. Compare it to equivalently posed hot toys
  • photo editing
    • there is no photo trickery happening here
  • overall setup
    • what does this even mean?
The goal should always be to compare a figure at its best- because that is what is attainable to you at your house.
Photographer here, and yes, photos absolutely lie and distort reality. Using a different lens, or even slightly adjusting the angle or perspective of a subject can lead to wildly different looking photos.
Bad lighting absolutely can change the look of a subject.
Photo editing is not the same as photoshoping something, and it's not about "trickery." I can adjust a simple slider and bump up the shadows on a subject in order to hide details I don't like.

Always trust video over photos.

Photographer here, and yes, photos absolutely lie and distort reality. Using a different lens, or even slightly adjusting the angle or perspective of a subject can lead to wildly different looking photos.
Bad lighting absolutely can change the look of a subject.
Photo editing is not the same as photoshoping something, and it's not about "trickery." I can adjust a simple slider and bump up the shadows on a subject in order to hide details I don't like.

I am also a photographer and said all of that. We aren't talking about harshly backlighting a figure and hiding a bunch of details in the shadows while using a fish eye lens. We are talking about black's photos.

Photos or videos of a poorly futzed figure are not useful

Me watching Justin's videos

200w (1).gif

To be fair, Justin's review on Inart Jokor made it look ugly. So I can't really trust videos over photos on that merit.

IMG_2078.jpeg

Two of these are from a video (my video 😅)

IMO, as someone that doesn’t take photographs but takes videos…I always try to capture the figure under the best lighting and angle. It’s not so much different than what a photographer does right?

Unless @Wor-Gar is specifically looking for jedha’s video where the lighting is ‘natural’ like ones own living room, or over blown white like Justin’s…I think every blogger photo and early Chinese review so far pretty much has shown me all I needed to see…

And maybe some here just wanna watch and hear someone familiar talk about the figure.

What could be shown in the review that would sway you one way or the other that you haven’t already seen in blacks’s photos ?

Good question. Maybe just confirmation about things like working with the cape, the size of the head, any other unforeseen issues.

I don't trust photos anymore. Too much tinkering sometimes. I get a better sense of the figure from 2-3 video reviews.

IMO, as someone that doesn’t take photographs but takes videos…I always try to capture the figure under the best lighting and angle. It’s not so much different than what a photographer does right?
I should clarify, my main point is that I think it's much much easier to hide things in photographs.

Good question. Maybe just confirmation about things like working with the cape, the size of the head, any other unforeseen issues.

I don't trust photos anymore. Too much tinkering sometimes. I get a better sense of the figure from 2-3 video reviews.
Even if numerous reviews were currently available, my question is: Is there any of these left available anywhere (anywhere legit) to pre-order??

Usually I go for Jedha's reviews for the look of the figure. It is very close to how it looks in my hand. It maybe his camera/setup but The HT Batman, Inart Joker, Moonknight and almost everything looks similar to his reviews. Eagerly waiting. Hope he compares with the HT too

Even if numerous reviews were currently available, my question is: Is there any of these left available anywhere (anywhere legit) to pre-order??
If you want the All in set or Bruce Wayne, go for Toypanic based out of Malaysia. But the shipping might kill you for the All in set

1713374368180.png

Back