[iminime] (The Cowboy), The Bounty Hunter & The Bandit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this company should just make head and clothing kits and sell them for less. JMO. I enjoyed Ric's review. I do understand the custom collecting dynamics, but this particular company I sort of find in a grey area between custom and production, and it seems as though that gap is slowly getting wider. That being said, much respect to all points of view. It's cool to see different collecting styles and perspectives on this hobby.

I actually think that's a great idea. I've seen a ton of people who just say that they replace the body with a TT, anyway, so, why not just cut that aspect out of the production process, entirely? Have the full figure on display when it goes up for order, tell people what type of body they'll need, and which was referenced when tailoring the clothing, and sell the H & C sets the same as if it were a full figure. Don't exclude the boots or shoes, or the accessories; just let people provide their own bodies, rather than having to pay for one on top of what they already paid (since those bodies are certainly factored into the cost of the figure).

When you've got a team of people producing multiple copies that look exactly the same, I think you've moved out of the arena of handmade artwork.

I actually think that's a great idea. I've seen a ton of people who just say that they replace the body with a TT, anyway, so, why not just cut that aspect out of the production process, entirely? Have the full figure on display when it goes up for order, tell people what type of body they'll need, and which was referenced when tailoring the clothing, and sell the H & C sets the same as if it were a full figure. Don't exclude the boots or shoes, or the accessories; just let people provide their own bodies, rather than having to pay for one on top of what they already paid (since those bodies are certainly factored into the cost of the figure).

That is an outstanding idea, I just know it's nice to pull out a figure completed but there is always some accessorizing time anyhow. I got Bill v2 head and clothing and Rick DX complete and it really didn't matter to me, I actually enjoyed dressing Bill

It is less the "value" of a figure and more it's relative worth to the purchaser. If the difference between a $40 Hasbro GI Joe and a $200 HT figure is evidenced in those offerings, than it is difficult to say that a $450 Blondie is $250 better than a $200 HT figure - I can freely admit that. What I can also say is that no one else will likely offer a 1/6 Blondie, so if I want one, and one of quality, than $450 is what I had to pay. Is $450 worth it to me? Absolutely. Some people, like ClipperKing, don't put as much value in to the character and may not see the worth. Would I spend $500 on, say, a Guy Pearce from Memento? No, but I can understand people who would be willing to do that. It helps that Denny (and Wake!) are so eager to solicit advice and feedback from the community.

Also, that Carlito figure is an amazing figure and one of the best 1/6 figures available PERIOD. Tough comparison there.

When you've got a team of people producing multiple copies that look exactly the same, I think you've moved out of the arena of handmade artwork.

What are they making it with? Their teeth?

Also I think you all don't realize how small a team it is. Denny packs figures in boxes. He's got one primary painter. Only one sculptor ever works on a release. The size of the team is only a factor in that it allows more figure Protos a year

Hot toys makes figures with injection molding and paints them using dot matrix printers.

I'm going to have to aggressively defend iminime here because some of the comparisons thrown around here is just ludicrous , comparing them to hot toys or Enterbay? Get a grip here. When they make official releases, you can cut your losses and be bummed you spent the big bucks on a custom such as what just happened with Marty Mcfly. No official releases? Want the figures? Deal with the fact that they cost what they do and don't buy it and ***** about it.

These guys saying iminime overcharges because they have a team... Do you realize that these figures are PAINTED BY HAND and not a machine?

I know how long it takes me to paint a head. What I would charge for that time that the going rate for a good paint job is would earn me less than 10 dollars an hour in my real job and I don't even have the raw talent that iminimes painters have.

All clipper king does in his reviews is ***** about the prices of these figures, many times in the mass released reviews also. I'm not saying that these things aren't bloody expensive but I'm saying that if it bothers you so much why do you continue to buy all of them? The kill bill review was 90% complaining about the price for the value when the good the bad and the ugly figures were right on the heels of those. Why was he expecting anything different?

I'm going to have to aggressively defend iminime here because some of the comparisons thrown around here is just ludicrous , comparing them to hot toys or Enterbay? Get a grip here. When they make official releases, you can cut your losses and be bummed you spent the big bucks on a custom such as what just happened with Marty Mcfly. No official releases? Want the figures? Deal with the fact that they cost what they do and don't buy it and ***** about it.

These guys saying iminime overcharges because they have a team... Do you realize that these figures are PAINTED BY HAND and not a machine?

I know how long it takes me to paint a head. What I would charge for that time that the going rate for a good paint job is would earn me less than 10 dollars an hour in my real job and I don't even have the raw talent that iminimes painters have.

All clipper king does in his reviews is ***** about the prices of these figures, many times in the mass released reviews also. I'm not saying that these things aren't bloody expensive but I'm saying that if it bothers you so much why do you continue to buy all of them? The kill bill review was 90% complaining about the price for the value when the good the bad and the ugly figures were right on the heels of those. Why was he expecting anything different?
All great points Ray!

definitely cannot compare Hot toys to custom work, that's rediculous but on a side note: Does anyone know if hot toys print their heads? Are the basic skin tone and stuff applied mechanically with human touch up? I swear, Chinese factory workers can paint better than me.

I have to say Clipper has made a video of debate and I was tempted into an offer for buying a Iminime Blondie. The price definitely was a risk and I did not take it. I find what Clipper said to be 100% of the truth. Yes you can't compare to high end companies but if they took on the task they will do as good as a job for half the price. These figures have some awesome qualities but lack in many areas. I'm not judging. For me to spend $800-$900 it would have to be 100% perfect. Awesome high end packaging, Head Sculpt, Paint, Clothing, Body, Accessories, Stand etc. I see 2 out 7 for this set. I know there is not a big team in this company but they certainly can upgrade some of the things like the bodies and maybe even the packaging to keep the figure safe instead of half assed. This debate will be a big one to talk about for the next couple of days but Clippers video definitely got a debate worth talking about.

Ok guys, some people might don't have idea how custom works are different from mass produced one.
Let me clearly explain why Custom works are much more expensive.

1. Please think about you make at least 1,000pcs to 10,000pcs ==>it cost a lot less
Most of works are done with masking mold and machine..some handwork(very simple works only)
That's why the cost can be lower because the quantity is big enough to share the cost of work.

Making 70pcs ==>cost a lot. because all handmade....like Raymond said, think about the cost per hour, what is your cost to work 1 hour in your country?
think about it.
For example, Glue the Tatoo on Real Sammy(Memento) body, it takes few hours...after glue the decals, we have to put something more extra work so that the decal stays better. actually, the cost for the work is more than the cost that I offered.

I honestly say....some of our custom works costed me more than income sadly. Although my team is not big, the cost is based on salary.

It's all about the cost....the machine and masking mold help chinese workers work fast....for company like Hottoys, they invested huge on the system...and their quality is good enough.
But if you have custom head...it feels more like Human made...just different from mass production(PVC head)

So..what I say is...if you feel the price on custom work is not your taste....it's your free will to stick with Mass produced one.
it's custom work section, and if you think this is not worth for money, then...better communicate your words in general section of SSF rather than here.

what do you think?

Denny

Differnt strokes but i see it as a 6.5 out of 7 on the GBU set. The only thing i can see would be a TT body but you can hardly blame them for not including one purely on logistics.
Awesome high end packaging? What more do you need than than protective foam inside a box? Do you mean like cool pictures of the figure and instructions on how to use your figure like HT?

Ok guys, some people might don't have idea how custom works are different from mass produced one.
Let me clearly explain why Custom works are much more expensive.

1. Please think about you make at least 1,000pcs to 10,000pcs ==>it cost a lot less
Most of works are done with masking mold and machine..some handwork(very simple works only)
That's why the cost can be lower because the quantity is big enough to share the cost of work.

Making 70pcs ==>cost a lot. because all handmade....like Raymond said, think about the cost per hour, what is your cost to work 1 hour in your country?
think about it.
For example, Glue the Tatoo on Real Sammy(Memento) body, it takes few hours...after glue the decals, we have to put something more extra work so that the decal stays better. actually, the cost for the work is more than the cost that I offered.

I honestly say....some of our custom works costed me more than income sadly. Although my team is not big, the cost is based on salary.

It's all about the cost....the machine and masking mold help chinese workers work fast....for company like Hottoys, they invested huge on the system...and their quality is good enough.
But if you have custom head...it feels more like Human made...just different from mass production(PVC head)

So..what I say is...if you feel the price on custom work is not your taste....it's your free will to stick with Mass produced one.
it's custom work section, and if you think this is not worth for money, then...better communicate your words in general section of SSF rather than here.

what do you think?

Denny

Well said Denny. Economies of scale is everything.

Outside of protecting my figure during shipping, the box/packaging is the last thing I'm concerned with. Once the figures are on display and the boxes are put away, I never look at them again.

The Box is very high qualited one...used imported paper and magnetic...cost much.

but perhaps, we can change the box in the future more colorfully.

Back