I'm building 3 full-size R2 units!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you do get one finished before Dragon*Con. I can then spot you easier with it tagging along by you. ;)

We should have a SS freaks meeting at D*C.

Wow! Three at once? Very impressive! I've been working on one since September of last year. Here's a 2-months old picture of his progress, not including his legs & feet (I'm at work and this is the only shot I have on my computer.)

photo0278gj4.jpg

I'm assuming you've joined the R2 Builders Yahoo Group? Those guys have helped me and guided me through every aspect of building my R2. Can't thank them enough. I started with a wood frame and wood base legs. The dome is aluminum, the "skins" are aluminum, the feet are steel, and all of the details / accessories are also aluminum. It's been a hell of a lot of fun so far. Hopefully, he'll be ready by San Diego Comic Con but I don't want to rush anything to meet a deadline. Worst comes to worst, he'll be in San Diego next year :)

Good luck with your project and PLEASE update with photos! What kind of parts did you get?

- Joe

Hey, look! It's R2-D2's skeleton:

r2frame_01.jpg

Just finished the frame for one of my three fullsize R2 units. This one is made from CNC machine cut wood, designed for sturdy but lightweight mobility, with the 3rd leg, R/C, electronics, etc:

r2frame_02.jpg

r2frame_03.jpg

Next up... finishing the aluminum "skins" and attaching them to the frame. I may work on the frame for one of the others first (that one will be made of carbon fiber).

The project is now underway in ernest! :rock

Good luck IJ! From the looks of it... you are off to a good start. There are so many talented people on these boards. I would NEVER try to build an R2. Heck, I get intimidated taking a 1/4 scale figure from the box... and putting two pieces together.

I have full confidence in ya Irish!

-Swabs :D

Sweet work IJ. I'd love to build one of these one day. Keep the pics coming. :cool:

Good luck IJ! From the looks of it... you are off to a good start. There are so many talented people on these boards. I would NEVER try to build an R2. Heck, I get intimidated taking a 1/4 scale figure from the box... and putting two pieces together.

Yep, I am the same way. I wish I had the dedication to make an R2.

I wish you luck with this Irish!! Everything's looking good so far...

I'd probably do the same thing if I knew where to start...(although I'd just make one)...

Good Luck!!

Awesome start so far. Did you buy the CNC cut wood as part of the kit/parts deal, or did you have access to a machine to do it yourself?

Either way it looks sweet so far and that's just the frame!

Back