IKEA Klingsbo vs Detolf.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are everyone's thoughts on the Klingsbo?

Are they the new detolf's?

To me, no. The ways those legs bend out looks hideous to me. The entire thing looks more like something to display antique china in than action figures. At least that's how I feel about it :p

The KLINGSBO (Glass-door cabinet, black, clear glass) $139.00

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40128563/

with LEDs added this is excellent for displaying a theme of 1/6, although mine could use some work on setup, poses and hiding cables.

photo-X2.jpg

Personally I like the Fabrikor but they are very pricey plus they really only look good with vintage collectibles otherwise stick with Detolfs.

Well I guess the thing I like about the Klingsbo and Fabrikor is that they are both already elevated, whereas raising the Detolf is a chore coz you need to find the right base to put it on?

Raising a Detolf means putting it on top of something - you can however put it on top of pretty much anything, from a stack of books to a milk crate to a kitchen cabinet. How pretty the base looks it up to you - you can easily panel or surround any ugly base. Always secure a Detolf to the wall, at the base (if elevating) AND at the top.

The dimensions of the Klingsbo are not well suited to displaying certain pieces without some hacking. For instance, with 1/6 figures you can only have a single level of them, and without hacking, the top of the cabinet will be well below counter height.

If you're worried about the curved legs, cut them off. Or replace the corners with steel or aluminum corner profiles from Home Depot. Very basic cutting and drilling only required.

There's a lot of glass in the Klingsbo, plus the steel, which is why it costs more than 2x the price of a Detolf. You also don't need to use all the glass when you set it up, potentially giving you more supplies for other setups. Klingsbo comes with a lock and hinges that work the same way as those on a Detolf - it suffers exactly the same issues as a Detolf with regards to dust infiltration via the front doors.

Take a look at my office build thread. You'll see elevated Detolf cabinets, three hacked and stacked Klingsbo cabinets, extra shelving placed into a Klingsbo made from Detolf shelves and a custom cabinet where two of the shelves re-use Klingsbo mid-shelfs.

I use both the Detolf and Klingsbo. I use the Klingsbo to display an Iron man collection.
photo-X2.jpg

About six months ago I went to IKEA to buy a Detolf to display my miniatures, but I passed on it, as honestly I felt that the cabinet seemed pretty flimsy/cheap. (good for the price definitely but not what I was looking for back then). Now I eventually decided that I need one, so today I went to IKEA to pick up my first Detolf, but they were all sold out. Seems to be the case everywhere in Finland atm. Staff told me they have problems with delivery atm, but they will be getting them again at some point. And also a white version is coming up.

Then the Klingsbo caught my eye. It costs more yes but it's also way sturdier and it has more height to it. I didn't buy one yet, as I also had a few problems with it.
First of all, leakage from the front door: has pretty big gaps for dust to get it. Has anyone done anything to this, and if so care to say what?

The legs, I didn't like the way they bend outwards, making it harder to put two of them side by side. Also don't care for the "flowering" on the lowest portion. Then again, it would be pretty straightforward to just saw off the extra bends and putting some cushions under the legs.

Space between shelves, is this the same as in Detolf? I don't own any 1/6 figures yet, so do they fit nicely in the space that the Klingsbos shelves have? I figured that by leaving one shelf off you could nicely display the 1/4 figures, but how about the smaller ones?

Positives seemed to be: sturdier, comes with a lock, higher/more space. Might get this one and mod it a bit myself, instead of waiting for the detolfs.

Looks like IKEA discontinued the Klingsbo 40128563. Anyone know more?

Did you get your Klingsbos or did you find out they discontinued them?

About six months ago I went to IKEA to buy a Detolf to display my miniatures, but I passed on it, as honestly I felt that the cabinet seemed pretty flimsy/cheap. (good for the price definitely but not what I was looking for back then). Now I eventually decided that I need one, so today I went to IKEA to pick up my first Detolf, but they were all sold out. Seems to be the case everywhere in Finland atm. Staff told me they have problems with delivery atm, but they will be getting them again at some point. And also a white version is coming up.

Then the Klingsbo caught my eye. It costs more yes but it's also way sturdier and it has more height to it. I didn't buy one yet, as I also had a few problems with it.
First of all, leakage from the front door: has pretty big gaps for dust to get it. Has anyone done anything to this, and if so care to say what?

The legs, I didn't like the way they bend outwards, making it harder to put two of them side by side. Also don't care for the "flowering" on the lowest portion. Then again, it would be pretty straightforward to just saw off the extra bends and putting some cushions under the legs.

Space between shelves, is this the same as in Detolf? I don't own any 1/6 figures yet, so do they fit nicely in the space that the Klingsbos shelves have? I figured that by leaving one shelf off you could nicely display the 1/4 figures, but how about the smaller ones?

Positives seemed to be: sturdier, comes with a lock, higher/more space. Might get this one and mod it a bit myself, instead of waiting for the detolfs.

Did you get your Klingsbos or did you find out they discontinued them?

You can still get Klingsbo in the tall model - it looks like only the horizontal model has been discontinued.

If you need a large display cabinet, IMO, the best IKEA option at the moment is a PAX wardrobe with a PAX sliding door frame - you supply your own glass or acrylic/polycarbonate panels. Both wooden and glass shelves (with a wooden frame) available. This is both bigger and cheaper than stacking the old Klingsbo units (I lucked out as I bought some of mine used).

Thanks for the tip, Pixelpiper. But I really need just one of the horizontal Klingsbo for a display I'm planning.

Has anyone been to Ikea lately and seen if there are still any "floor model" close-outs, still kicking around?
You can still get Klingsbo in the tall model - it looks like only the horizontal model has been discontinued.

If you need a large display cabinet, IMO, the best IKEA option at the moment is a PAX wardrobe with a PAX sliding door frame - you supply your own glass or acrylic/polycarbonate panels. Both wooden and glass shelves (with a wooden frame) available. This is both bigger and cheaper than stacking the old Klingsbo units (I lucked out as I bought some of mine used).

Floor samples and returns go to the AS-IS section, which varies from store to store ad day to day in selection. I'd expect no chance of finding a horizontal Klingsbo in the IKEA AS-IS section. Your best bet is local classifieds now, such as Craigslist and Kijiji.

Back