If your computer is slow, clean the thing....amazing what it'll do

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off to unplug it and get it ready for a bath. Dawn dish detergent should do the trick. Hey, it's even safe for animals!! :lecture

You joke, but I know a guy who would have to open up and hose down the innards of an entire Apple][ lab to deal with the mice who would build nests inside the computer cases.

I assume you know somewhat heavy dust creates a static field and extra heat? Sky Digital hates any dust. Plays havoc with the channels/picture quality.

5-Star-Air-Duster-Can.jpg

Every few months. Never a build up. Ever.

Condensed air doesn't solve anything, really. Just spreads the dust around.

Dusting out your computer will only help if you're running into heat related problems. Most modern day computers will throttle down their clockspeed if they get hot.

If your computer is running slow, you should do some scans for spyware using malwarebytes, and maybe disable startup applications via msconfig. Google that for more info, but you can see major speed brought back to your machine.

Condensed air doesn't solve anything, really. Just spreads the dust around.

Really?

Is that why I would have one of these running while I would be spraying to collect any particles blown out. Or better yet, clean it outside. Thats what I usually do.

kirby-vacuum-702908.jpg

Or even better, don't let the rooms get manky.

The first time I had stripped down the PlayStation3 a few months back to change it's thermal paste and check for any dust thats been in use since 2007, it had very little dust.

Dusting out your computer will only help if you're running into heat related problems. Most modern day computers will throttle down their clockspeed if they get hot.

I don't like dust, nor do I like being lazy or a manky b*st**d.

Live across the street from a farm field, have a dog and live near a busy highway with a lot of trucks. It's hard not to be "manky." :lol

I keep my place clean but can't help dust that gets in. I need more purifiers in the house.

Really?

Is that why I would have one of these running while I would be spraying to collect any particles blown out. Or better yet, clean it outside. Thats what I usually do.

kirby-vacuum-702908.jpg

Or even better, don't let the rooms get manky.

The first time I had stripped down the PlayStation3 a few months back to change it's thermal paste and check for any dust thats been in use since 2007, it had very little dust.

I don't like dust, nor do I like being lazy or a manky b*st**d.
Yea, vacuum works tons better. It's what I use to clean my electronics.

man-washing-computers.jpg
washing-computer.jpg

Ugh........sorry these aren't showing up. It shows a guy hosing down the insides of his computer in the parking lot.

Last edited:
Yea, vacuum works tons better. It's what I use to clean my electronics.

Do I detect sarcasm?

If you guys really are worried about dust, you should put some filters on your intake fans, something similar to this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995048

You could also get some filter material and custom-make filters too.

They do help for big clunks but it greatly restricts airflow. More so for a radiator. I went the DIY route with thinner finer material.

Doesn't restrict the same. More or less like the mesh panels but the air dusters still helps to get the fine layer of dust off the parts like you would wipe off a surface. Or hard to get in areas.

No sarcasm, a vacuum is the best way to go about cleaning out electronics. Especially for things in enclosed cases where the canned air is just gonna spread the dust around.

You actually run the brush all over the graphics cards/motherboard etc?

Hoover bristles creates static for computer parts but everyone is different with static. Some worse than others. Thats why you leave the nozzle on the floor if you're going to dust inside. All the dust bits, if it's that bad falls to the floor after spraying and gets sucked in. Nothing is circulating.

Blowing any dust outside is better.

I cleaned up my family's dinosaur (Gateway Profile 6) about a month ago and after saving the critical files, re-formatted the hard drive and re-installed the software as well (as I do every so often).

Brought it back to like-new speed.

Like all of my computers, when I bought it, I bought all of the high-end hardware available at the time, so I have found so issues that make me want to get a newer one, yet. When I get a program that I need (or just want badly) and it says my system won't run it...then I will get a new one.

Either that, or when I stumble on to money that I have no better use for.

But until then...I have a saying that I live by and offer it as supporting advice for this thread...a clean computer is a happy computer.:)

I cleaned up my family's dinosaur (Gateway Profile 6) about a month ago and after saving the critical files, re-formatted the hard drive and re-installed the software as well (as I do every so often).

Brought it back to like-new speed.

Like all of my computers, when I bought it, I bought all of the high-end hardware available at the time, so I have found so issues that make me want to get a newer one, yet. When I get a program that I need (or just want badly) and it says my system won't run it...then I will get a new one.

Either that, or when I stumble on to money that I have no better use for.

But until then...I have a saying that I live by and offer it as supporting advice for this thread...a clean computer is a happy computer.:)

You must not do much, that thing is old. I have to upgrade every couple of years or so, but I do lots of 3D work. (and gaming, can't forget that)

You must not do much, that thing is old. I have to upgrade every couple of years or so, but I do lots of 3D work. (and gaming, can't forget that)

I am not in to computers the way I used to be. I do not game much any more. If I can surf the 'net, watch movies, webcam with my kids when I travel for work, and do my reports for work, I am golden.

The newest Microsoft Office is about the most intensive program that I use, now.

I burned out on being disappointed with games before I got half-way through them. I have a bunch that I never finished. Dungeons and Dragons games, Command and Conquer, HALO (for a game console), DOOM, Call of Duty (for a game console)...a lot of the pop games and a few off-beat ones as well.

Back