If you had no LOTR WETA would you start over?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fly, I think you and I are in the same place. When I look at auctiontracker and see how much money I've spent since 1/2004, it's rather shocking. That's a huge chunk of change, especially on my salary. And before anyone starts the "if you can't afford it you shouldn't have bought it" lecture, when buying pieces one at a time you don't necessarily realize how much you've spent until you see all of the costs arranged nice 'n pretty. And besides, if I want to live beyond my means for something that I'm crazy about, it ain't none of your beeswax. :wacky

But I love LoTR - it's the only thing I would ever have spent this much money on. Been wanting to collect stuff about my favorite book for over 30 years. And I would probably do it again if the hypothetical situation this thread is based on occurred. Though it would probably take longer to replace every piece now.

Yes, I would start all over again - not too worried about todays prices, since that is what I aquired my collection at anyways :horror

Chasing these things has filled my last year with a lot of joy :D - aside from some "not-so-joyful" episodes with Ebay sellers - it was great fun and I'd love to do it again :wacky

Nazgurl said:
Fly, I think you and I are in the same place. When I look at auctiontracker and see how much money I've spent since 1/2004, it's rather shocking. That's a huge chunk of change, especially on my salary. And before anyone starts the "if you can't afford it you shouldn't have bought it" lecture, when buying pieces one at a time you don't necessarily realize how much you've spent until you see all of the costs arranged nice 'n pretty. And besides, if I want to live beyond my means for something that I'm crazy about, it ain't none of your beeswax. :wacky

But I love LoTR - it's the only thing I would ever have spent this much money on. Been wanting to collect stuff about my favorite book for over 30 years. And I would probably do it again if the hypothetical situation this thread is based on occurred. Though it would probably take longer to replace every piece now.

I'm with ya Nazgurl.

Absolutely. But I would probably be a bit more selective in what I would rebuy. But, as with my original batch, my resolve would probably melt away and I'd be compelled to get a replacement for every one I have now. Such is the addictiveness of this line for me.:eek:

Wetanut said:
Absolutely. But I would probably be a bit more selective in what I would rebuy. But, as with my original batch, my resolve would probably melt away and I'd be compelled to get a replacement for every one I have now. Such is the addictiveness of this line for me.:eek:

Rumi sadly I think we are all that way. But I'm damn happy to be that way.:D

I'll be honest and say No. I would stick with my original plan which would be to pick up RWoS and only RWoS. The money I got from the insurance company would probably go towards making some extra mortgage payments and my other main collectible hobby; vintage movie posters.

Nazgurl said:

My sentiments exactly, Nazgurl! Even though I have made 90% of my purchases within the last year, it's been carefully done to avoid any financial complications, if you will. Each piece was carefully considered before purchasing. I probably have only 2-3 pieces that I would consider selling/trading at the moment. The rest are keepers and I would try to obtain them again if I had to. But the problem lies in that several of those pieces have risen significantly in monetary value (secondary market prices) and obtaining them again at the original prices paid for them would be impossible. Couple that with the scarcity of some of these pieces and it would not be a fun quest...

ABSOLUTELY !! Actually, I just started collecting this line lasy July, and in about 6 months had amassed 40+ statues and 20+ busts! I somehow missed out on these when they were released, as I was concentrating on other LOTR items ( Topps cards & autographs, Toy-Biz figures, etc). Then I happened on a Morgul Lord auction on ebay that I thought was pretty low ($120 or so), I won the auction, and that opened the door.
Once I saw that statue in person, I realized I had to have them all (or almost!). I have managed to collect all the statues except CAVE TROLL, BALROG, MORIA ORC ARCHER, MORIA ORC SWORDSMAN, GALADHRIM ARCHER, BABY ROG, SHELOB, and the BATTLE TROLL. I still want MOA, MOS, and GA, but the others I have no real interest in, especially at the high prices on CT & Rog. I have also collected all of the character busts, along with a few others, but don't really want most of the generic races busts. I look forward to the 1/6 & 1/4 lines, as well!

I would start over only if I could go back in time and order all of those Fellowship Statues at $125! Can you imagine .... Uruk Scout Swordsman, Moria Orc Swordsman and Archer, Aragorn all for $125 each!

Daveyjaro said:
I would start over only if I could go back in time and order all of those Fellowship Statues at $125! Can you imagine .... Uruk Scout Swordsman, Moria Orc Swordsman and Archer, Aragorn all for $125 each!

I only paid $260 for Strider.:banana

I really don't know.....
Part of the charm was, that new items kept coming out. So you could really look out for the next one, "what/who will it be". I would obviously miss that.

Back