If HT won't do a line based off of television characters, who else can?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First came Arrow, then the Flash...and in a few months time, we'll be getting Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow. They're all apart of a shared universe (although Supergirls connection is still up for debate, chances of it being in the same universe are very strong).

DC/WB have been crushing it with their TV shows. And the fact they're in the same universe (ala MCU movies) is a huge draw for fans like myself. Another great thing with these shows is that their title character, along with supporting characters, are wearing their superhero outfits. If HT wants to expand their DC lineup like their MCU line...well...it's right there!

I know they want to make product from franchises that has world wide appeal. The aforementioned shows DO have an audience in Asia, albeit a small audience...but personally speaking, I'd love for HT to make figures from them. I'd kill to have a proper Amell Arrow, Gustin Flash, Supergirl, and other supporting heroes featured in the shows.

It's such a shame that HT ONLY focus on the huge blockbusters, with the occasional video game release or quirky Johnny Depp figure. I honestly think there is a market for figures of Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and legends of tomorrow.

I just wish HT took more of a risk every now and then.

If not them...I hope ThreeA or three zero can pick up the license.

Customs are also an option, but they can get quite expensive for multiple characters.

I would LOVE both the arrow and flash as figures. But when there only around 1 million people that view either show on average, compared to tens to maybe hundreds of millions for a tent pole film...and a fair number of those films that get figures have figures who sell very low numbers....it's just a hard road to get a company to risk. But this is a new paradigm with these shows so they may take a flier on it someday. Especially with the dc stuff if dc gets its film act going and reignites it's fans

I don't think you're going to find a movie with hundreds of millions of people going to see it. The U.S. population alone is around 320 million. Movie tickets are around $8 on average, and a very successful film in the U.S. will make maybe 200 million domestically in many cases, which equates to around 25 million tickets being sold. But sure, movies are going to be more popular than TV shows on average.

Its pathetic, honestly. I doubt 1 million people care about the Iron Men armor that were on screen for 4 seconds, but tv shows with great and rising ratings gets ignored because "its a tv show" is sad.

Plus Flash is probably the best thing on Television. I would buy 5 Harrison Wells figures.

I know it's such a shame... I really want sideshow to make Rebels and Clone wars figs and they might based on their recent track record of trying new things that have been successful sooo if they do that I will be super excited (I really want a 1/6 Zeb and Inquisitor) and not to mention Ashoka and all the other great clone wars characters. I feel the only hope for the TV DCU is maybe sideshow, threezero or some new minor company looking for licenses like asmus or other new ones

Best of luck And HT I hope they can start doing TVMS

Its pathetic, honestly. I doubt 1 million people care about the Iron Men armor that were on screen for 4 seconds, but tv shows with great and rising ratings gets ignored because "its a tv show" is sad.

Plus Flash is probably the best thing on Television. I would buy 5 Harrison Wells figures.

I agree- guess DC can't find any interested licensor for 1/6 figures on their tv shows- a huge waste indeed

Feel free to start a company and spend your millions of dollars on making figures for people who call what you do pathetic.

I don't think you're going to find a movie with hundreds of millions of people going to see it. The U.S. population alone is around 320 million. Movie tickets are around $8 on average, and a very successful film in the U.S. will make maybe 200 million domestically in many cases, which equates to around 25 million tickets being sold. But sure, movies are going to be more popular than TV shows on average.
Domestic box office is pointless in this discussion, especially given hot toys is not an American company. And, films like fast 7 brought in 1.5 billion dollars. Im3, which was mentioned, brought in 1.5 billion(around about), avengers 1&2 1.5 billion. So yes, it's possible 100 million people watched: factor in Dvd/Bluray and digital download and I'm sure it's at least 100 million for all those.

And whether you like it or not, the HPP are some of the best selling figures for hot toys, imaginarium, ssc,(statues for them), KA, PI...so yes I think they would sell as well as flash and arrow. Sorry.

Feel free to start a company and spend your millions of dollars on making figures for people who call what you do pathetic.

If I did own my own figure manufacturing company, trust me, there wouldn't be 50 different variants of the same damn armor no matter how sad.

And I would be glad for someone to call me pathetic for being that pathetic.

Best of luck And HT I hope they can start doing TVMS

They HAD a TV line before (if you've seen those Prison Break figures), but they scrapped it to focus more on movies.

Threezero/ThreeA is the best in terms o f quality, who could do these DC TV figures, as well as the Marvels from Netflix. HOwever as aforementioned by a fellow freak, they already have too much on their plate and can hardly release on time all the figures they promised. 2 years and so far the Walkers are crawling.

Domestic box office is pointless in this discussion, especially given hot toys is not an American company. And, films like fast 7 brought in 1.5 billion dollars. Im3, which was mentioned, brought in 1.5 billion(around about), avengers 1&2 1.5 billion. So yes, it's possible 100 million people watched: factor in Dvd/Bluray and digital download and I'm sure it's at least 100 million for all those.
I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just realistic. By saying 1 million for a TV show, I assumed you were referring to Nielson ratings, which only measure U.S. audiences, so I wasn't factoring in the international audience, though I would assume the ratio of TV:movie watchers is roughly equivalent. A quick Google search tells me there are about 3.6 million views of a random episode of the Flash in the U.S. Factor that over a whole season, and considering you will often get multiple people watching the same set, it's not hard to imagine 20-30 million people or more will have seen at least one episode in a given season in the U.S. alone. And if you want to factor in DVD sales for movies then you should also consider that you get streaming and DVD options for TV shows as well, so you're also going to be underestimating the number of people familiar with it domestically if you go with Nielson ratings or whatever.

I don't think the risk is all that big for HT to be honest. I'm just assuming here, but wouldn't the ratings mostly come from fans of all things geek? And aren't those the same people that end up buying figures from HT, DCdirect and various other companies? Also, don't they usually only produce 10s of thousands of a figure rather than a million? Someone mentioned prison break. Let's not forget, that was during a time when HT was still in their infancy trying to learn the market. If the prison break figures didn't set the toy collecting world on fire...well, let's be honest here...a guy in prison garb isn't going to turn heads. The two leads and their outfits don't really make for a compelling collectible. THOSE were niche characters IMO. Sort of why HT didn't produce anything from inception, stating that the characters in suits are a hard sell. While I'm sure it saddens fans of the movie...there is a ring of truth to it.

If that experience soured HT view on making product from TV shows, I think it's time they gave it another shot. The DCTVU may not be a goldmine...but it's for damn sure a gold shaft.

I was enjoying the Flash until Grodd and Atom showed up with the bad cgi and animation that I suddenly lost interest. Howard Chan must have felt the same way.

Back