Idiots guide to casting needed ...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Warrior

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have asked around before in posts etc but I am still out of my depth. Sorry to all that have helped in other ways, I just need a step by step approach for me to successfully understand.

I basically want to be able to take ITEM A, cover it with something to make a mould that can be pealed off and then filled with a liquid substance that will harden. I then want to be able to customize the new "copy" of ITEM A, be it paint or dremil. For instance a sideshow head. I want to make a copy so I can then try to paint it myself without worry of ruining the original.
I also want to make multiples of a few items for bigger display use (a few predator skulls for a totem poll). Not to resell as I feel my "artistic" attempt are not of quality and not really my own to sell.

As this is new territory for me I don't want large amounts of materials just incase its something I don't want to continue.
I live in England, from other times I have asked most are showing me products in the USA, which is great for the help and ideas of products but the cost and shipping put me off.

Can someone give me a link to a proven guide on the ins and outs please ?. I'd also love a UK link or two for some reasonable and usable products to try for myself. As posted, I see the materials as possible waste and not as creative supplies so small and cheap quantities please.

Thank you in advance. I just hope at some point in the future I can contribute to the forums than just ask and ask questions all the time.
:peace

this is a good casting tutorial :

https://www.paint-sculpt.com/tutorials/mold-making-tutorial/mold-making-tutorial-overview.html

Also this youtube video shows how to do it step by step:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jFfXT_Cjpuk" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

There is no PROVEN way to do it, as everybody has their way of figuring out the casting process, the best way to do it is experimenting, failing is the only way to success.

Thanks for the links. Will give them a good read.
A bit more information of what I am after. I hope more detailed information would help the board help me.

I should of put by proven I meant consistent.

I just want to be able to make a flexible mould to make 1-3 copys from. Not expecting the mould to last 10+ or to sell on currently. A kit would be great as they would have smaller quantities. I would be happy to remake the mould after a few castings if it turns out cheaper than making a expensive and prolonged use mould.

Would using some thickened latex to mould and then fill with some plaster of paris work ?.
As I am after making a head I would need to drill a neck hole and for the predator skull I would need a product that will stand up to the pressure of taking it out of the mould.

I can't give UK brands because I'm in the USA, but I would really recommend using silicone rubber for the mold and resin for the cast. Both should be easy to use and give you consistent results if you follow the directions.

Silicone pretty much only sticks to itself so once a mold has been used to make the casts you want, it can be chopped up and the bits added to the next mold you make (as long as it is not directly touching your ITEM A) so you don't have to use so much material making the second mold.

I would really, really recommend using a 2-part resin for the cast instead of plaster of paris which in comparison is extremely heavy and fragile and if you want to drill holes, will probably just fall apart. The resin will give you a nice surface for painting and will be easy to drill holes in or otherwise modify and can stand up to a fair amount of abuse that would utterly destroy a plaster cast.

Since you are in the UK, you should look up Dormal Snow over in the Star Wars area on this site and ask him for advice. He is in the UK and does tons of molding and casting and can probably give you some specific brands of the best stuff to get for what you want to do.

I can't give UK brands because I'm in the USA, but I would really recommend using silicone rubber for the mold and resin for the cast. Both should be easy to use and give you consistent results if you follow the directions.

Silicone pretty much only sticks to itself so once a mold has been used to make the casts you want, it can be chopped up and the bits added to the next mold you make (as long as it is not directly touching your ITEM A) so you don't have to use so much material making the second mold.

I would really, really recommend using a 2-part resin for the cast instead of plaster of paris which in comparison is extremely heavy and fragile and if you want to drill holes, will probably just fall apart. The resin will give you a nice surface for painting and will be easy to drill holes in or otherwise modify and can stand up to a fair amount of abuse that would utterly destroy a plaster cast.

Since you are in the UK, you should look up Dormal Snow over in the Star Wars area on this site and ask him for advice. He is in the UK and does tons of molding and casting and can probably give you some specific brands of the best stuff to get for what you want to do.

:lecture:exactly:

^^ Thanks. Such a daunting area to go into even with advice. Glad to see there is someone in the UK to ask about products. I will give him a polite message in a second.

Mr Snow has messaged me back. What a great response and guy. Cant wait to apprentice under him. :p

Big thanks to the board.

Last edited:
Check out the Smooth on website https://www.smooth-on.com/

They have mulitple video's using different methods and product type. I am sure you can find what you are looking for there to help guide you in the direction you want.

^^ Thanks. Such a daunting area to go into even with advice. Glad to see there is someone in the UK to ask about products. I will give him a polite message in a second.

Mr Snow has messaged me back. What a great response and guy. Cant wait to apprentice under him. :p

Big thanks to the board.

i use silicone rubber, and then easy flo resin for casting, pretty good results, necks and such can be demeled to suit.....i have made some pred heads and they come out ok

^ Thanks again for the replys. I am taking all suggestions in and trying to atleast read up on them. Talking to Mr Snow also.

I think to begin with I should aim for a small quantity to attempt the predator skull. As I am only wanting 1-2 of the head it may be better to just buy one due to material cost for 1-2 uses of the mould.

I am starting to think (again) that I am over ambitious when it comes to the cost and copys made. I would love to have loads of each item cheaply so I can try different paint apps and not worry about the outcome.

Back