Ideal DVD or blu rays to buy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skytteflickan88

Super Freak
Reaction score
Finally buying all of the LOTR discs and I don't want to make the mistake of buying a edition I'll regret.

From what I gather, the 15 disc sets are the ones with the most material?

What's the diff between these two
[ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lord-Rings-Picture-Extended/dp/B003AQC1CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372202448&sr=8-1&keywords=lord+of+the+rings+extended+trilogy+blu+ray[/ame]
[ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lord-Rings-Trilogy-Documentaries/dp/B00586LYVK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1372202448&sr=8-6&keywords=lord+of+the+rings+extended+trilogy+blu+ray[/ame]
The documentary? I'm confused since it's the same amount of dicss, but a very different price.

Is there any difference between Region 1 and 2? I don't want to miss out on clips or materials. For some reason it also says that the Swedish(that's where I live) edition is longer. Could that be the subtitles?

The green tint I've heard of on the blu rays, is it really bothersome, or are the blu rays worth it? I don't know if I should splurge and get the blu rays if the DVDs aren't very different.

They're both the extended editions, so I think they're both 15 discs (my US version is 15)... don't know what the heck the "26 HOUR Exclusive Extras Features & Costa Botes Documentaries" is on the second link. Don't think the US ever got that.

Never had the DVD of the set, but the blu ray set is nice. I'm not much of a videophile, but I didn't find any issues with the quality. Maybe it didn't blow me away like the TDK blu ray IMAX shot scenes. That **** was SHARP!

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I recently edited it. My Region 1 blu ray is 15 disc. Don't think I have that 26 hour documentary, but I'll check to make sure. I never went through and watched everything in the set.

I would be very grateful. I don't want to pay double for the same thing if all 15 discs are the same.

Just checked, my 15 disc set DOES include the 26 hours and Costa Botes documentry. That second link is just confusing as hell... it makes it seem like the other version doesn't come with it. I think they're both the same. I only had to pay like 35 US for my set.

Both those links are the same item, the cheaper price is being sold by Amazon, the other one is being sold by another seller hence the major price hike.

Ive bought every version of Lord Of The Rings thats been out and definately recommend the extend editions on blu ray, the tint didnt bother me. The picture quality and sound quality easily made up for it.

If your wondering about the extras its just the same Appendices that where on the extended edition DVDs. The other documentarys that are included where from the Limited Edition versions of the DVDs (the ones with the clear window cover). Nothing new unfortunately but for the price its at now its still a worthwhile buy.

Hope that helps you

Have you seen the extended editions? I have both editions and from what I gather the tint is not as bad on the theatrical for some reason. I have not done a side by side, and that is just what I remember from the reviews back when it came out. They do still look great either version. Don't waste your time with DVDs, Blu is the only way to go. You can pick up the US copies pretty cheap and they are region free.

Back