I wonder how the new LOTR Premuim Line will effect the value

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since SSW is keeping the LOTR products going now, the older pieces will hold or increase in value, especially all the FOTR pieces.

?

Very hard to predict the future trends on value on the 1/6 vs the 1/4....

Personally i think the 1/6 will always be special the created by the people who made the movie was a big seller....

The 1/4 scale may be ok... However look at the current 1/4 Starwars ... most selling less than retail..... ?

I wont sell my 1/6 WETA statues for anything except my duplicates....

Michael

The PFs are taking a while to really find their footing, but edition sizes are growing.

I remember a time when people were dismissing the $300 Balrog as too expensive and not worth the money. It also took a long time to sell out and was going for retail on ebay for quite some time.

The Weta stuff is far superior in my opinion, just because of the fact that Weta worked on the movies and worked on the collectibles. That's where the value is. I don't believe you can have a more poseable or action orientated figure than a polystone statue. I've looked at the Star Wars stuff and there's still a feeling of 'doll' there....I know they're better than that, but when I think poseable....real hair and cloth.....that just turns me off.
But as I've said, I'm sure I'll get a couple, but hopefully I won't get hooked!
Let all who want to, sell their statues, and let the collectors that actually want them have them, and maybe at a slightly lower price.

re

Ebay prices shows that there are those who want to pay 500+ for the weta line and Cinemaquette has proved there definetely is a market for high-end collectibles/prices.

I personally think that SSW prices will fall on the big 5 but remain slightly lower on other pieces. However, the SSW line will remain the superior works of art to these IMO.

I can't wait to see the new line... and hopefully pick up a Strider, Eowyn, Faramir and a Fell Beast.

The new figures will be cool but I will not be getting them. As others have said, the fact that Weta created the statues is part of the reason to me they are soooo cooool. I don't have room for the new stuff anyway..:horror
As far as prices dropping on the statues, they will only drop if collectors who are selling drop them. If all the sellers hold fast on what they want to sell them for the buyer has no choice but to pay the price......
I don't plan on selling my statues except some of my duplicates maybe..:cool:
:D

I only have one PF and it is exc Luke. I wasnt too sure I would like the mixed media, but I have to say I like it better. My only problem is protecting it from dust, direct sunlight etc. because of its size. I am hoping SS will help direct people to display options that would ease these fears some have with the mixed media.

As for my SSW 1/6, I love them and I dont care what their value is. But for those who do care I can see how the 1/4 line could seem to threaten the value of them.

One thing we haven't seen mentioned is how the color on the current 1/4 PF line is holding up, since they use regular clothing. I suppose it's moot if they don't see much sunshine (and I'm sure polystone is the same).

I do agree with the action poses seen in the 1/6 statues is bettre than ones I've seen on the current 1/4 PF line. One thing that the 1/4 PF definitely can't do is beyond human figures. Anything beyond that is just huge, and space is a constraint. Unless of course you just happen to have a warehouse as a home.

I have to admit I did buy the 1/4 PF Han Solo, and Seven of Nine. Only because they nailed the likeness. Still, with LOTR, I'm not sure if likeness is the only thing that counts. If the clothing doesn't look right, it could make a big difference. Personally they can't go wrong with a 1/4 PF Gondorian or Rohirrim, or Prologue Elf ( even Gil-Galad) or Numenorean (even Elendil or Isildur). But, most major LOTR characters are best seen in action-oriented poses.

Again . . . we'll see.

I don't believe the 1/4 scale PFs will do anything to the value of the Weta 1/6 statues, they're simply way too different for one to affect the prices of the other line. Did Sideshows or Gentle Giants Darth Vader make the Attakus one drop in price?

"Trust me, sell now if you are thinking about it."

I would not take Gruson's advice on selling your Weta SS stuff.

Wait ans See

I'm pretty sure I'll still prefer the Polystone 1/6 scale, but it will be exciting to see what SS comes up with on these 1/4 scale projects.

I think there may beat least two different target groups for the new LOTR PFs. One is the dedicated SSWeta collector, the likes of many of us here, and the other is the LOTR collector in general, buying what they fancy and not sticking to one particular line. IMHO the latter is much younger on average (my wild guess is around 23), whereas the average Weta fan is probably closer to being 40.
I truly believe that the "maturer" collectors cherish their acquisitions more and hence will hold on to them no matter what the market advises. Someone spoke of his "babies", and that's probably what they are to some of us. The younger, more mobile, target group may enthusiastically delve into the new line, glad that there's something new on the horizon. With only 2-3 figures per year for starters, money won't be much of an issue either. So overall, the line should be quite successful.

Personally, I'm not going to collect the Premium Figures, I haven't got the room, and I'm a Weta (and polystone) addict anyway. I'm pretty sure that I will get one or two characters either out of curiosity or just because it's a character that has been completely neglected by Weta, like Faramir or Denethor. :naughty

PS: Questions from an ignorant: Are these Premium Format Figures poseable at all or static? Will they come with bases of some sort? What material would I find under the clothes/armour? The head is made of polystone, right?
Apologies, if these questions have been answered elsewhere, just point me to the link. Thanks.

PPS: And don't take Gruson's advice and sell. He wants to buy. :D

I would expect the SSW prices to dip slightly, but not as a direct result of the 1:4 line. The PF figures and the 1:6 polystone statues are two different worlds. Some people perfer one over the other. For example, given the choice between Attakus Vader 1 and SS Vader for the same price, I would choose Attakus. Others would choose Sideshow.

Here are some things the SSW line has going for it that will cause it to retain value:

1. Weta. There will always be the desire on the part of some to own a collectible produced by Weta. Watching the Gollum DVD gives the impression that PJ and Richard Taylor were deeply involved in the line. That fact alone will keep demand going, especially for the early limited pieces.

2. Limited. Some of the early pieces are so limited that demand will always exceed supply. We don't know how many exist of some open edition statues, but my guess is few.

3. Vintage appeal. Does a new super-articulated Darth Vader action figure drive down the price of an original 12-back? These statues will retain a sense of nostalgia for people, since the line was being made during the actual movie periods. This will be strengthened by the Gollum DVD.

4. Completeness of line. I doubt the 1:4 line will be as complete in offerings as the SSW line. I won't drag out the Faramir, Eomer, Denethor fiasco... but if the 1:4 line gets that close to complete I will be very impressed.

5. $$$$ 1:4 is expensive. Buying 9 fellowship members will likely run around $3000.

6. Cloth vs full sculpture. Different strokes for different folks.

That's just a few things off the top of my head. Different people collect different things for different reasons. That is why the SSW line will retain value. At best, I would predict the 1:4 line to prevent further appreciation of the SSW line. Any dips in price to the SSW line would be the result of many factors, the 1:4 line being only a small portion.

Gary

Some interesting points you guys have made, so just wanted to add my comments:

Not sure the new line would be appropriate for the younger collectors; after all, I'm not sure an average 24 year old can even afford the prices. I suspect it's the older collectors that would have the money to support the new line. $225-450 is a substantial amount of a person's paycheck, especially for someone who might have just gotten out of college, low on the career ladder, and trying to pay down debt.

Hehe, as for Gruson's advice...take it with a grain of salt. I remember him urging folks to sell their statues, then when I went to monitor his ebay interests, I noticed he was checking out the same statues and even sniped on a few =) Then there's the time he got in on some good deals in the Hot deals thread (in the old forum) and turned around and scalped em =)

Actually, I posted a LOT of the hot deals for you guys in that old forum if you remember...

No, I am not buying the Weta pieces anymore. They are very nice but I only collect 1/4 and 1/3 scale pieces now.

I know some people could never sell their Weta collections and I respect that. There are some pieces that in no possible way would be better in the PF version...like RWOS for example.

I am just trying to give some advice to those who do need the money and are thinking about selling. I have kept up with the secondary market on these pieces for years now. I know Elwood has as well.

Even without the 1/4 line, prices have been continued falling since April.

Actually, you posted alot of so-so deals if I remember correctly =) That's not to say I didn't understand your mentality--because I came to your defense when everyone was upset over the whole buy-Galadhrim-scalp-on-ebay fiasco.

I certainly appreciate the deals that you contributed, especially the Paypal code, but I'm just saying--and it's half in jest--when you say "Sell", my instincts tell me to get ready to buy =)

Not an exact situation, but close: The Sideshow 1/4 scale Star Wars
mixed media figures haven't hurt the Attakus Star Wars line any that
I've been able to tell. Vader 1 still goes for over $1,000. Boba is up
there, as well as Darth Maul, Royal Guards, and many others.

I'll be picking and choosing figures from the new LOTR line, as I will
only want the ones that catch my eye, not every single piece.

Armored Lurtz - Yes!
Legolas - Not very likely
Galadhrim Archer or Prologue Elven Swordsman - You bet!
Any cool looking orc - yep
Any on a steed - yes
Witch King - definitely
Mouth of Sauron - yes

Pick what appeals to you visually, and you shouldn't go wrong.

JS :)

Back