I Miss the 70's

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
Good times...

Di36i.jpg

L2Kfe.jpg

KgHmh.jpg

da7ND.jpg

1F7CC.jpg

Zo9Ki.jpg

nwxpy.jpg

K9jJf.jpg

Re: I Miss the 70s

:lol Awww....his chick has a bracelet! I bet it has a Hello Kitty on it!

This thread needs at least one serious, '70s-related post.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fofzrDD8IG8[/ame]

Carry on. :wave

poster-farah-fawcett.jpg

it's a god damn wonder i'm still alive with all that fappin' to this poster............:lol

1870:
Can Opener , 60 years after the Tin Can is invented, William Lions of Connecticut invents an efficient can opener.

Yellowstone National Park, Partly in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho, the Yellowstone National Park was appointed the United States' first national park on March 1st, 1872. It covers more than three and a half thousand square miles of plateaus, mountains and valleys. The park's fossils, lava flows, volcanic remains, forests and other mountainous features such as its hot springs and geysers (like Old Faithful) have made it a national treasure.

Montgomery Ward Begins First Mail Order Catalog, Montgomery Ward begins distributing a dry goods mail-order Catalog to rural customers offering wide selection of items unavailable to them locally. By 1883, the catalog, which became popularly known as the "Wish Book", had grown to 240 pages and 10,000 items.

Japanese Calendars, In 1873 the Japanese started to use the Gregorian calendar as well as the one that was based on the emperor's years of rule (with 1873 being Meijing 6). Before this, they had received lunar calendars from China.
Blue Jeans, Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis patent "Blue Jeans", using heavy duty cotton cloth and copper rivets they produce trousers that are virtually indestructible aimed at Miners, Farmers, Mechanics and cattle raisers. They were called originally "Copper Riveted Overalls".

First Impressionist Exhibition, The artists that had gathered their inspiration from Édouard Manet's art had submitted their own work to the Exposition des Impressionistes that took place in Nadar's salon in Paris. There were pictures by Renoir, Sisley, Monet, Pissaro, Morisot, Guillaumin, Cézanne and Degas. The name Impressionism had come from Monet's 1872 Impression: Sunrise that was shown at the Musée Marmottan and copied into Louis Leroy's article in Le Charivari magazine.
First Commercial Barbed Wire, Joseph F. Glidden of DeKalb, Illinois, received a patent for modern barbed wire in 1874 after he made his own modifications to previous versions.

First Practical Telephone, Patent 174,465, was issued to Alexander Graham Bell on March 7, 1876, by the U.S. Patent Office. Bell's patent covered "the method of, and apparatus for, transmitting vocal or other sounds telegraphically ... by causing electrical undulations, similar in form to the vibrations of the air accompanying the said vocal or other sound"

Practical Internal Combustion Engine, Nikolaus August Otto builds the first practical four-stroke cycle Internal Combustion Engine. Like all inventions before and since each inventor builds on knowledge gained from earlier inventions or multiple inventors working far apart who come up with similar inventions, so often it depends on the researcher and research material available to make the decision of who and when.

Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift Zulus Attack, Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift took place in South Africa on the 22nd and 23rd of January. The initial defeat had cost the lives of about 1,700 men, and whilst they had been attacked by nearly 20,000 Zulus it had made their colonial rule seem less tenable. The rearguard of the Zulu army went on to attack the 120 men that were left at the outstation of Rorke's Drift without success. It has become an extremely favorable demonstration of the British Army's ability to face insurmountable odds, and the larger forces went on to derogate the Zulu fighting forces at Ulundi.
Incandescent Light Bulb, Thomas Alva Edison filed his first patent application for "Improvement In Electric Lights" on October 14, 1878 (U.S. Patent 0,214,636). The first successful test was on October 22, 1879, and lasted 13.5 hours. Historians list 22 inventors of incandescent lamps prior to Thomas Edison but Edison's, although not first light bulb, is considered to be the first practical incandescent lamp.
1st Woolworth 5 Cents Store Opened, Frank Winfield Woolworth opens the Great 5 Cents Store in Utica, New York. Pledging to sell "nothing" that cost more than a nickel expanding over the next 50 years to 1000 stores, but due to changes in the retail market the last Woolworth's shop in the United States was closed down on July 17, 1997.
First Cash Register, James Ritty and John Ritty patent the first cash register in Dayton Ohio as "Ritty's Incorruptible Cashier", it was later sold and became "The National Cash Register Company" NCR.

Back