I just bought...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanna say:

:fireworks HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Glad you treated yourself to an early prezzie. Now if you'd just post ur address, I can send you some Cookies to munch on the big day.lol:D

MMMMMMM Cookies :D :D :D

Thanks for the early birthday wishes... finally on a Sunday so I can party on Saturday night... and the best part is... I do not have to have to work on Sunday... that is a present by itself :lol

It is nice to spoil yourself once in a while ;)

Jesseawilson said:
Exactly, for $150 it's a great conversational piece.

Ness knew exactly what she was doing.

Jesse

Maybe it's just me but when I found out that my poster with 40 cast and crew sigs was fake, I didn't want to frame it and put it up. Nobody would suspect that it is fake and it would be awesome and if it were real it would beat the rest of my collection (I have 130+ SSW items, incl Balrog of Moria AP). I know it's fake, a great conversational piece?

What really irks me about this, is there is some shmuck out there who spent 10 mins copying other ppl's signatures and makes $130 for it. This is called FRAUD. You can buy this script for like $20 without the fake sigs. You can pretend it's real, if that is what you are into, I personally don't understand it. Why not then copy the sigs yourself and save yourself the money?

Beren

Beren said:
Maybe it's just me but when I found out that my poster with 40 cast and crew sigs was fake, I didn't want to frame it and put it up.

That's because you "thought" you were buying a genuine piece.

Beren said:
Nobody would suspect that it is fake and it would be awesome and if it were real it would beat the rest of my collection (I have 130+ SSW items, incl Balrog of Moria AP). I know it's fake, a great conversational piece?

Again, because of the dissapointment of finding out it's fake.

Beren said:
What really irks me about this, is there is some shmuck out there who spent 10 mins copying other ppl's signatures and makes $130 for it.

Well to get them that close takes a little more skill then that but I agree with you.

Beren said:
This is called FRAUD. You can buy this script for like $20 without the fake sigs. You can pretend it's real, if that is what you are into, I personally don't understand it. Why not then copy the sigs yourself and save yourself the money?

Beren

Bringing me to my point in the first place, IF YOU BUY SIGNATURE ITEMS ON EBAY 99.9999999% OF THE TIME THEY WILL BE FAKES. It doesn't matter what nifty COA that they flash in front of you. It's buyer beware, if you dont do your research and buy on Ebay and get taken advantage of then there is nobody to blame but yourself.

On the other hand if you knowingly buy something like a signed LOTR poster on Ebay just to display in your HT room and spend $50-$75 for it, then I think your on the right track as far as how Ebay should be used for attaining signature items.

Jesse

Beren said:
Maybe it's just me but when I found out that my poster with 40 cast and crew sigs was fake, I didn't want to frame it and put it up. Nobody would suspect that it is fake and it would be awesome and if it were real it would beat the rest of my collection (I have 130+ SSW items, incl Balrog of Moria AP). I know it's fake, a great conversational piece?

What really irks me about this, is there is some shmuck out there who spent 10 mins copying other ppl's signatures and makes $130 for it. This is called FRAUD. You can buy this script for like $20 without the fake sigs. You can pretend it's real, if that is what you are into, I personally don't understand it. Why not then copy the sigs yourself and save yourself the money?

Beren

How did you eventually found out that its fake??

The eBay seller claimed that the poster was bought by him from New Line Online Auctions website and that it came with a COA from New Line. So I thought that could be plausible, that New Line would arrange for cast and crew to sign posters, to auction them off for charity possibly etc. When I received the item I called the number on the COA because I wanted to be sure. The New Line website states that their COAs come with a holographic sticker. This one didn't. The number WAS New Line so I called them twice before they referred me to the appropriate person. And that person was able to tell me with authority that they in fact never had auctioned off this poster. New Line contacted eBay, had them pull off the completed auction from the site and the seller was booted from eBay. Luckily I got my $250 US back from my CC company.

So I still have that poster and honestly, most sigs look dead-on but I can't bring myself to put it up... it's not real!

Beren

Jesseawilson said:
That's because you "thought" you were buying a genuine piece.

Why do you put 'thought' in parentheses?

Again, because of the dissapointment of finding out it's fake.

So what you are saying is that it is a conversational piece because it is fake?!

Bringing me to my point in the first place, IF YOU BUY SIGNATURE ITEMS ON EBAY 99.9999999% OF THE TIME THEY WILL BE FAKES. It doesn't matter what nifty COA that they flash in front of you. It's buyer beware, if you dont do your research and buy on Ebay and get taken advantage of then there is nobody to blame but yourself.

Well, I guess the point of this debate is whether Nessa knowingly bought the item, realizing that it was 99% probable that the sigs were forged?

On the other hand if you knowingly buy something like a signed LOTR poster on Ebay just to display in your HT room and spend $50-$75 for it, then I think your on the right track as far as how Ebay should be used for attaining signature items.

What does HT mean? :rolleyes:

Beren

Congrats Ness!
I have a signed and framed pic of the core four from Buffy(SMG, Aly Hannigan, Nic Brendon and Anthony Stewart Head) and I love it because I believe its real. The person has 100% and theyre exactly the same as sigs I've seen the cast do. So even if it was fake, I still believe its real and it means alot to me because it was a gift from my brother. It holds sentimental value to me and makes me smile whenever I see it.:D

Frame it. Display it.:chew

BDboystoys said:
Congrats Ness!
I have a signed and framed pic of the core four from Buffy(SMG, Aly Hannigan, Nic Brendon and Anthony Stewart Head) and I love it because I believe its real. The person has 100% and theyre exactly the same as sigs I've seen the cast do. So even if it was fake, I still believe its real and it means alot to me because it was a gift from my brother. It holds sentimental value to me and makes me smile whenever I see it.:D

Frame it. Display it.:chew

Exactly my view... as long as I believe they are real that is all that matters... :D

Last edited:
Nessasita said:
Exactly my view... as long as I believe they are real that is all that matters... :D As long as I know that my tits are real too I am happy too... jk :D

So they're not real? :confused:

***SMOOCH*** Nessa :lol

Should you ever find out that those sigs are not real, then please let me know.
I still have some AitO LotR swords that are dying to be tested :rotfl

Darth Loki said:
So they're not real? :confused:

I'm 100% positive that Peter Jackson autograph is not real. I have 2 real ones on my lithos and they look nothing like that.

Look at Chuck's sigs on his link. The "P" and "J" in Peter Jackson are dead give-aways. A signature might be slightly different each time, but there's no way that PJ changed the way he actually forms his letters.

My son won a Fellowship of the Ring movie poster signed by Elijah Wood in a Burger King contest. Your Elijah signature and the one we have look very similar.

As for buying signatures on Ebay....I bought a Tolkien letter several years ago. I was able to locate the original owner from 1964 and cross reference their info with what the seller (a diffierent person) told me. Also, the Basildon Bond watermark on Tolkien's private stationary (which can only be seen by holding it up to a light) was present. There are ways you can check on the authenticity of signatures but you must be thorough as the vast majority of these sold on Ebay are fakes...some of them very good fakes. I have another Tolkien signature that I'm reasonably sure is a fake so I have been fooled once.

Judge for yourself...

Real
pjcustom5vm.jpg

Fake
pj2small8kq.jpg

Note the obvious differences.

Back