Hulk Grey PF Good Luck

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SolidLiquidFox said:
I also think a lot of people that secured a grey want the grey to look better because of it's limited nature.
For me its more the price than the ES. For a hundred extra bucks it better look better. Or at least look equal and have a cooler "story" behind it. And this story is that it was the original color of the character, its a color that was revisited in several well known storylines from the 80's and on, its ES is 179 (which in and of itself has a story as to how that number was reached) and Grey + classic Kirby sculpt is a great match (not that Kirby + green isn't), and it feeds off the "grey mystique" created by the skyrocketing Vs. Dio (and in a better format with better sculpt than the Vs IMHO).

The face might be based on an expression featured in an issue he happened to be green in but I'm guessing Andy was more about finding a classic expression overall as opposed to him going "okay let's just find the best face he made when he was green." The fact that the reference pic was green is more academic, IMO.

It's already been answered but, here's some additional info for all of you Hulkophiles:

The Hulk first appeared in the May, 1962 issue of The Incredible Hulk.

incrediblehulk1wc0.jpg

Co-creator/writer/editor Stan Lee's original vision was of a gray Hulk but, his skin color was subsequently changed to green in issue #2, after Lee noticed the printer could not consistently maintain the same shade of gray from page to page.

incrediblehulk2qt5.jpg

The Incredible Hulk was cancelled after 6 issues, but the Hulk returned as a co-feature in Tales To Astonish #60, October, 1964, through issue #101, March, 1968.

tta60ig3.jpg

With issue #102, Tales To Astonish was re-titled The Incredible Hulk and ran for 374 issues, until Marvel began to screw with readers and collectors alike by canceling, resurrecting, revising, and re-titling the Jade Giants adventures.

hulk102pp5.jpg

Thank you for that insightful look into the origins of the Hulk. I still like the Grey PF better, but you can get the green for about $150 less from a retailer.

In the case of the PF version, I think the "grey" looks better. In the case of the Hulk vs Spidey piece, I think the "green" looks considerably better. But it's all just a matter of opinion, folks. Get the one that you prefer and can afford.

FrankenFan said:
It's already been answered but, here's some additional info for all of you Hulkophiles:

The Hulk first appeared in the May, 1962 issue of The Incredible Hulk.

incrediblehulk1wc0.jpg

Co-creator/writer/editor Stan Lee's original vision was of a gray Hulk but, his skin color was subsequently changed to green in issue #2, after Lee noticed the printer could not consistently maintain the same shade of gray from page to page.

so how much does issue #1 cost on the seconary market?
and are they hard to find for sale...:cool:

Both Grey and Green look very nice on this sculpt.. Personally I prefer the Grey regardless of the ES..

Dassy your classy, you coulda sold your Grey when the time was right and gor a free Green outta it. :D

Bodie The Cursed said:
Both Grey and Green look very nice on this sculpt.. Personally I prefer the Grey regardless of the ES..

Dassy your classy, you coulda sold your Grey when the time was right and gor a free Green outta it. :D

Nah,not in my Nature.:monkey3

Bodie The Cursed said:
With that said I recently canceled all my Excl. SW 12" to make a Star Wars nerd happy out there somewhere.. :monkey3

I did the same. It was hard since I stressed so much on all those ordering days. At the end, I decided to prioritize what I collect. :cool:

SolidLiquidFox said:
I did the same. It was hard since I stressed so much on all those ordering days. At the end, I decided to prioritize what I collect. :cool:

Yes its amazing how fast those things sell..

But alas.. only 1/4 Marvel for me... And the vs. Dio's for you..:rolleyes: :D

the Doctor said:
so how much does issue #1 cost on the seconary market? and are they hard to find for sale...:cool:
I don't follow the secondary market anymore (I cashed-out my collection in the early 90s) nor do I have a copy of the Overpriced Street Guide — oops! I mean the Overstreet Price Guide for reference — but I recall reading about a CGC-graded 8.5 selling for around $30,000 in 2004.

Hey! I found the story: Incredible Price For Hulk #1

drprtrs.gif

Man, talk about a grail!

I've seen a couple pop up on Ebay for $1,200 or less... Mind you, these were pretty banged-up copies, but I was still very tempted.

Sideshow Andy said:
Man, talk about a grail!

I've seen a couple pop up on Ebay for $1,200 or less... Mind you, these were pretty banged-up copies, but I was still very tempted.

A cheaper alternative is the great Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb miniseries Hulk:Gray. It's sort of a retelling of the story of his origin. Very good read.

0785113460.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1110628277_.jpg

SolidLiquidFox, from one collector to another: I thank you.
I'm on the waitlist, and couldn't care for the edition size. But the first thought that came to me when I saw this piece was: this is the Hulk that I was waiting for, and I was blown away by it, but alas, I was on vacation and couldn't get the order in on time, so I missed it, and was condemned to the waitlist
Later I learned that it was based on the Kirby Hulk (while I thought that the Tim Sale Hulk was the source), and I was even more saddened that I missed it.
Maybe I'll have a chance now, thanks!

Only Thank Me if a Board Member gets it,How long does it usually take before someone is notified?

Cheers

Dassy:monkey3

Back