Hulk Buster Ironman question ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooncat

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ive only recently become a fan of ironman and thats due to the movie, my relationship with comics and graphic novels has been up and down over the years

That said when I saw the Hulk Buster statue offered by SSC I just had to have this Uber cool piece

I was in Waterstones (UK book shop) yesterday looking through the graphics novels, (picked up some Civil war I hadnt got and a Batman Robin Frank Miller novel) and went through the Marvel Ironman section but couldnt find anything hulk buster related ?

Wondered if someone could tell me the origins of the Hulk buster suit and a really cool Graphic Novel with it in ?

Last edited:
It first appeared in issue 304. The origin is pretty, simple, just Tony wanting to take on the hulk without exhausting his armor. It was originally just a bunch of add ons to the modular armor. If you want a real good Hulk buster fight, buy issue 1 of World War Hulk. The fight gets pretty epic.

Well the hulk buster armor SS is making isn't really based on any of the hulk buster armors, its based on the argonaut armor android thingy.

Well the hulk buster armor SS is making isn't really based on any of the hulk buster armors, its based on the argonaut armor android thingy.

Can you elaborate please? I would like to know more about the hulkbuster armor SS is making. I'm going to pick up the first issue of World War Hulk today.

like the armor itself is not from necessarily from the comics. From what i could tell, its based on adi granovs design of the argonaut android, it was built by tony and later went haywire and he had to take it down. There only two actual hulkbusters, the one in wwh, and the first one which was really an exo frame on top of another, the modular armor. The one ss is doing was also by toybiz as an action figure and the upcoming bowen one. In truth iron man never actually donned this "hulkbuster". Its a really nice design and its hulk sized but it wasnt meant for the hulk in the comics. Ss is having alot of artistic license for this armor, but its awesome.

:cracks knuckles:

Okay the first Hulkbuster armor was built as an add-on to the Modular armor. Its considered the Mark I and like most said it appeared in Iron Man (vol. 1) #304. That looks like this:

imhulkbuster.gif

Now the Mark II Hulkbuster was done in World War Hulk made specifically when the Hulk returned from space. His also fits over his standard Extremis armor. Unlike the Modular version this one couldn't stand up against the Hulk. It did though get more usage because it was a host body for the demon Zom.

That is this bad boy right here:

hulkbusterII.jpg

Now, the most popular incarnation in terms of licensing is the Hulkbuster II. This not a Mark version because it was intended as an Argonaut drone. It was when he realized he could command several armors at once using Extremis. Hulkbuster II was just part of the Argonaut drone team that also included: Space Ghost (New Space Armor intended drone), Submariner (New Hydro Armor intended drone) this was able to defeat Namor, Adamantium Man which was laced with Adamantium. Digger an enormous drone according to the book it was about a hundred tons equipped with Vibranium (the same stuff as Cap's sheild only from a different region). Hulkbuster II was designed to take on The Hulk but could in fact take on the entire Avengers team with its specific controls.

That one looks like this:

irom012cover.jpg

If you want to read about this one, you can get most of it in the Extremis trades.

As an add-on Favreau confirmed that he planned to use "drones" in Iron Man 2. No confirmation though if they'll mimic the ones in the books or if they'll be new designs.

HulkBuster
Designer: Anthony Stark, HOMER
Worn By: Anthony Stark
Appearance: Iron Man #304

Design Notes :

Shell Composition: Its composed of impact resistant carbon-composites overlayed on top of layered "flex-metal" which can condense itself like a 3-dimensional accordian pleat. Micro-Scale suit tiles fabricated by genetically engineered metal affinity bacteria which assemble themselves in specific orderly arrays, then expire, leaving behind various metallic deposits which form all the metal shapes and micro-electronic circuits.
Power Source and Energy Information: Beta Particle Generator. Solar power converters. Laser Absorption Grid.
Control Systems Interface: Cybernetic Interface directly attatched to the artificial nervous system of Tony Stark.
Weaponry:
*Repulsors (Mark 3): Repulsors are electron beams which require laser ionized path of air to travel through the atmosphere. Beam is moderated using a pulsing beam and and early form of adaptive optics. The repulsing effect is limited to the surface of an object. Objects are jolted away from the beam path by the combination of ionized air and the accelerated neutron beam. This armor used the third generation palm repulsor. It was the smallest to date -- a cluster of 3, 18mm for improved heat dissipation.
*Unibeam: Multi-band light and force beam emitter. Can be adjusted for a variety of effects such as search light, heat beams,tractor beam, lasers, image inducers, ultraviolet light, and electromagnetic pulse.
Equipment:
*Magno-Hydrolic Pseudomusculature (IM #305): Greatly enhances the strength (rated at 175 tons) of the wearer to match that of the Hulk's (in his form with intelligence....not the savage form).
Sensors:
*Gamma Radiation Sensors.

Notes: This is not really a suit of armor but an exoskeleton for the Mark 11 (Modular Armor). It was specifically designed to be used in battle with the Hulk.

Wow! That was more information than I expected! Thanks for the thorough explanation and summary :rock. I'm going to try and pick up the Extremis series as well.

Wow lots of info ! This image

irom012cover.jpg

Is this from ?

51xhb61dQmL._SS500_.jpg

am I right in thinking this is volume 1 paperback ?

and this is vol 1 - 6 hard back ?

41NJchKtBpL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
My pleasure everyone I love talking Iron. To answer the question above as long as the Trade contains Iron Man Vol. 4, #12 then you'll be set.

Whats "the Trade" ?

A publication of a series of comics(for example,Marvels civil war series)comprising a series of maybe 20-30 comics condensed into one,maybe two bound volumes.Called "trade",at a guess,because you re effectively buying in bulk a story drawn out over several months and issues.

What you forgot to add Mike, is that the Hulkbuster Armor always failed miserably against the Hulk....:wacky

What you forgot to add Mike, is that the Hulkbuster Armor always failed miserably against the Hulk....:wacky

No. The Modular Armor version went toe to toe with him. Its the Hulkbuster Mark II that he used in WWH that failed miserably. :D

Whats "the Trade" ?

Trade Paperback, its a graphic novel done in soft cover as opposed to the others that are done in hardcover.

Back