HT DX05 - Indiana Jones - in-hand images

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to ask. But didn't somebody here detach the sculpt from the PERs and remove some of the plastic (along with the guyliner obviously) to thin down the face? I just remember somebody doing this, and actually making the HT sculpt pretty spot on. Am I just remembering this wrong???

Rory did a mod which sounds like what you are describing.

Anyone happen to know the inner circumference of the hat that comes with the DX05? I want to get one for a kitbash I'm working on but want to make sure it'll fit the noggin of the my HS.

This has been the only pre-order I was willing and happy to forfeit my deposit on. I'll take my Sideshow version any day.

I recently picked up a mint dx05 for 300AUD and I'm actually seriously impressed. The costume, accessories and assorted parts are great. The headsculpt isn't 100% but skimming through this thread I get the feeling that herd mentality took over and it became cool to hate this. I completely understand why Dave closed the original thread.
300 AUD was a bargain as far as I'm concerned because once you get the pose right it looks fantastic.

Re: Hot Toys DX05- Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark) 1/6 Figure Full Specs + Pi

Yep, as I opined not far back, it's always the same unflattering pics that get used to hate on it, but there are just as many decent ones.

I recently picked up a mint dx05 for 300AUD and I'm actually seriously impressed. The costume, accessories and assorted parts are great. The headsculpt isn't 100% but skimming through this thread I get the feeling that herd mentality took over and it became cool to hate this. I completely understand why Dave closed the original thread.
300 AUD was a bargain as far as I'm concerned because once you get the pose right it looks fantastic.

Not sure I understand the "cool to hate" logic. This was indeed a disappointing HT headsculpt - and there appears to be some consensus on that, even if with custom work the sculpt can look decent. However, some of the costume is brilliant - boots, pants, pistol and shirt in particular - though the whip is rough and overscale and the belt/holster simplistic and wrong. The body is too buff for ROTLA Indy but is an awesome (and pricey) body nonetheless.

Overall, it is an impressive box set for sure but let's not try to pass off as "hate" or "herd mentality" dissenting opinions in this thread. Many of these opinions have been here a long time and know more than you or I about Indy accuracy details and 1/6 Indy collectibles in general.

Re: Hot Toys DX05- Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark) 1/6 Figure Full Specs + Pi

Yeah, that "cool to hate" crap is nonsense. If that were true all kinds of threads would be closed constantly. There was a reason this figure got tons of hate. I HAVE the figure and I can't bring myself to defend it. It deserved the ridicule. And the original thread that was locked was hilarious. :lol

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Agree to disagree I suppose. Not defending the sculpt as I said it's not 100%, nowhere near but I don't agree it "deserved" the ridicule but I will agree the thread was funny.
But at the end of the day if you still have the figure there must be something you like about it.

EDIT - just saw your mods and I may have to try the jacket one myself.

Last edited:
Awesome figure, awesome box set, likeness isn't there. Whole setup can look stellar when set up and lit creatively. With a lot of shadow details you can even pick up more Ford character, but that doesn't change the fact the sculpt is a big miss.

This is pretty standard for HT - they deliver more misses in face sculpting than hits, IMO, though not necessarily all off by the same degree as DX05. Look at their latest Michael Keaton - it's laughable, for those not crying. Contrast with another value (multi-pack) figure, Alfred from the Armory - that one is easily one of their best sculpts ever.

... though the whip is rough and overscale and the belt/holster simplistic and wrong. ....

Those two things and the jacket -- which is just too sturdy and "shiny" to look right for Indy -- were problems for me as much as the sculpt. I mean, Indy's jacket and whip are as iconic as his face. Alot of the other bits were very good though.

I gotta agree with the "haters". I also have it and look at it every day, and it never gets any better! :lol

There are some good parts, but the sculpt ain't one of them. The overall quality is good and certainly better than Sideshow's. But it just doesn't look like Indy/Ford. Definitely one of HT's worst. And definitely one of my biggest disappointments since all we Indy fans ever wanted was a quintessential Indy and when we heard HT was doing it, we all rejoiced! Then the previews came out, and we all hoped and wished and convinced ourselves that they would fix the sculpt before they released it. We even had the sculptor quoted as saying something like, "you will be happy with the final piece", suggesting that they were indeed fixing it. But no. It was pretty much the same as the prototype that we had all been seeing. If they did any adjustments to the prototype before release, it was barely noticeable. I ended up getting it anyway, in hopes that it would look better in hand, as they usually do, but sadly this one didn't. Like I said, there are some good parts, and it's a quality upgrade from Sideshow's, but it just misses on the most important part--the sculpt.

No denying the sculpt is off, and one of HT's worst, but some pics accentuate the "guyliner" to an extent that's not apparent in-hand. Thus they make it look worse than it actually is.

It's only a matter of time before HT revisits Indy with a 2.0 sculpt and who knows, if Sideshow's TOD Indy turns out as decent as their Han Hoth sculpt came out then there's hope.

Back