How tough it is for a Brazilian collector!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardofeitoza

Super Freak
Reaction score
Good morning guys

I just wanna share with you freaks a few info from Brazil
I live in Canada but I am originally from Brazil and have a lot of friends back there that are collectors and struggle every time a new piece come out and they have to buy it.

The monthly minimum wage in Brazil is
R$540(Reais) or $325( US Dollars). People get paid in Brazil monthly! :gah:

A few examples

I cashier working in a WalMart in Brazil most likely gets paid $325 a month. That would be 1 Sideshow Premium Format a month.

An Engineer usually gets paid around R$3500(Reais) or $2110(US Dollars).

A Bank Clerk gets paid around $900 ( US Dollars)

A regular JoB as a Primary School teacher, Driver, Construction, Sales, as examples pay you in between $480 to $1200 ( US Dollars) :mad:

Now comes the worst part of the deal!!!
We are the worst country in the world when you talk about taxes!!! They Hit you very hard in Brazil and they try their best to not let you import products!

I am gonna give you an exemple:

Let`s say i wanna buy the Sabretooth PF (IT has to be shipped by USPS Or any regular Postal Service from the country shipping to Brazil! I will explain WHY later!!! :mad:)

SideShow Premium Format $350

Super Expensive Shipping to Brazil( I do not know why as we are closer than a lot of countries that have much cheapier Shipping costs from US)

60% Import Tax

ICMS 17-18% State Tax

IOF 6,38% TX over any financial operation Abroad ( Straight charge on your Credit Card over any charge on Foreign currency)

So lets do the math and see what a fellow freak that lives in Brazil pays for a Premium Format Figure:

$350 + $120 Shipping = $470 (X) + IOF over X (6,38%= $29.98) + Import Tax(60%) over X= $282 (Y) + ICMS (17%) over X+Y $127.84 ( This is Tax over TAX!!!:gah: )

Remember all these taxes are charged over the Shipping Costs. They do not separate the price of the product from the price of the shipping. They see it as a hole. Like the Product costs the sum of Product + Shipping!

At the end your fellow Brazilian Freak will be paying $909.40 for a Premium Format Figure!!! Almost 3 times of what we pay in North America!!! All of that with a monthly minimum wage of US$325 :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Now you understand why brazilians ask you to declare a lower value on the customs forms when shipping to them!

Last edited:
I almost forgot! If you ship to Brazil by FEDEX, UPS or any courrier type of Shipping they charge you 100% of Import fees + their own service fees( Like the brokage fee by Fedex as an example- around $40 in Brazil). All of that because the government does not want any other Postal service company operating in Brazil. Only their own. What they do??? They over charge you if you use a competidor company!!!
It is almost impossible or you have to be crazy to import straight from Sideshow if you are in Brazil because they only Ship By FEDEX.

Importing via SideShow:

$350 + $170 Fedex Shipping = $520 (X) + IOF over X (6,38%= $33.17) + Import Tax(100%) over X= $520 (Y) + ICMS (17%) over X+Y $176.80 ( This is Tax over TAX!!!:gah: )

Total Importing directly from Sideshow= US$1249.97 :slap :gah: :gah: :gah:

Cool, I make in a week what an engineer in Brazil makes in a month! :yess:

Well, welcome to Canada then. I've seen your collection and its pretty good. Its a good thing you left Brazil when you did, its also the reason many others have flocked up here. You just need to tell your friends to follow.

Oh and btw there are Walmart's in Brazil? :thud:

Cool, I make in a week what an engineer in Brazil makes in a month! :yess:

Well, welcome to Canada then. I've seen your collection and its pretty good. Its a good thing you left Brazil when you did, its also the reason many others have flocked up here. You just need to tell your friends to follow.

Oh and btw there are Walmart's in Brazil? :thud:

I am going back to Brazil at the end of the year! A lot of positives in the return but a few negatives like having to buy my statues! :gah:
Maybe is time to start collecting other stuff! :)

Yep! there are Walmarts, Mc Donalds, KFC,Dominos, Dunkin' Donuts, Burger king, Carrefour and C&A ( For the Frenchies).
No Tim Hortons by the way. Too hot for cofee! :clap

No I know there are KFC's, McDonalds and all other fastfood places around the world, I just never knew Walmart expanded outside of North America. Still Brazil is a very beautiful country.

No Tim Hortons would kill me :thud:

:lol

Trade off

No Freaking winter!!! YESSSSSS! It is still there but you do not feel it
I am from Rio de Janeiro and my Worst winter there i got around 14º Celsius or 57º F and that was only for a few days or 1 week. Usually it is above 69ºF all winter long.

Trade off

No Freaking winter!!! YESSSSSS!
I am from Rio de Janeiro and my Worst winter there i got around 14º Celsius or 57º F

Yeah I guess you got a good taste of Canadian winter. :gah: That is an excellent trade off indeed. I don't think I can handle another winter here, 34 of them is more than enough. :monkey4

Yeah I guess you got a good taste of Canadian winter. :gah: That is an excellent trade off indeed. I don't think I can handle another winter here, 34 of them is more than enough. :monkey4

I have 7 in Canada out of my 33 winters and I am done with it! :) Do not get me wrong, I still love Canada!
Let`s come down and open a Comic Book store and smuggle some statues. Maybe we can get rich! LOL

I forgot to mention one crazy thing!

Only if you have Iron Balls and a big bank account you are able to buy a Hulk PF down there now. Think about paying around $1200 for a Hulk Statue. Because of its size you cannot ship it by USPS. You can only Ship it via FEDEX/UPS and the cost of shipping only is over $1000. That gets you a $2200 of value to get all those fees over.
It means that at the end the buyer of a Hulk PF has to pay over
US$6000 for a Hulk PF in Brazil. That is really a Grail over there!!!

Hey Paulo.. Just read your thread, and I am sorry to hear about the taxes OVER taxes in Brazil.

So since you're living in Canada, and tax is crazy in Brazil.. Why did you have me ship your Enterbay Jack Bauer you bought from me to your mom's house in Brazil instead of straight to Canada? :dunno

Hey Paulo.. Just read your thread, and I am sorry to hear about the taxes OVER taxes in Brazil.

So since you're living in Canada, and tax is crazy in Brazil.. Why did you have me ship your Enterbay Jack Bauer you bought from me to your mom's house in Brazil instead of straight to Canada? :dunno

He said he is heading back to Brazil.

You can get a 2 BEdrooms Apartament for $300 in the suburbs. Plus $150 for bills( Water, Hydro, phone). A lot of people cannot aford it so they end up in Poor neighborhoods known as favelas as you can see in the brazilian movies City of God and Elite Squad.

This is not for me. I already have one if you can see my Collection. This is a gift to my brother that is also a fan of the show.

Back