How to weather a leather jacket?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kam veitch

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am trying to weather and give an old look to a custom macready leaher jacket.

I am running some test, I have two jackets, one to practice and the second one that will go into the figure.

I put the test one in the washing machine, made a ball, also scrratched it with sandpaper, I think the next step will be to paint it in a light brown.

Would love to read a tutorial or word from experts.

Many thanks

TEST ONE
$T2eC16FHJFwFFZqkDBOrBRlI+uK0ug~~60_57.JPG

FINAL ONE
$_12.JPG

MACREADY JACKET
thething-007.jpg

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 139
I think all the steps you've done are good... and I'd go with the light washes of paint.

What I did was take some brown paint and did about 50/50 mix with water. Then I brushed it onto the jacket liberally and worked it in with my fingers. This seemd to give it a much more natural look and when it dried it wasn't stiff or flakey.

BTW, I'll be doing the same jacket mod in a bit... just trying to decide which jacket I want. I think the first one looks the most accurate, just can't tell if the quality is as nice as the ACI one.

When I do it, I don't use sandpaper or a color wash. Quite the contrary! Mix some acrylic paint ( brow, red brown, yellow ochre and white) and dry brush it on all the edges. Vary the mix to simulate different wear, in the central areas, dry brush some black or deep brown. It should do the trick!:)

EDIT: here's an example of the result

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...cuplts-by-Nek74!/page9&highlight=Supernatural

Thanks both of you. Despite what 16K says first I am going to try to make it older naturally, then after several tries I will paint it since I am not very good at it

BTW, I'll be doing the same jacket mod in a bit... just trying to decide which jacket I want. I think the first one looks the most accurate, just can't tell if the quality is as nice as the ACI one.

Now I cant show but I added buttons to the lateral pockets and some fur to the neck to look more movie accurate. Hope we get the Macready head soon!!!!!!

Your best bet is to use paint. 1/6 "leather" is typically synthetic and will not withstand the same weathering techniques used on 1:1 leather.

Now I cant show but I added buttons to the lateral pockets and some fur to the neck to look more movie accurate. Hope we get the Macready head soon!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. When WGP delivers it's good stuff... but damn do they take forever.

thanks to you all again!!!!!!!! I will try in a few weeks when I get back from holidays.

A link to the blog where I have more pics of the jacket under the macready tag since I am taking pics of the evolution of this custom work.

https://demenciasdelsigloxxi.blogspot.com.es/search/label/MacReady

This is before I added the tinted in black fur to the the neck but you can see the buttons added to the pockets. The jacket had no fur.

I´will have to weather the pants too, they are in olive green, what color should I use. After the weathering I will add sme touches of snow too.

I have a few days at home and this is my first try. What do you think? Its the test jacket and a WIP with half painted and half as it came from the factory to see the differences.

sura6yte.jpg
jequmy8y.jpg
ajepu3u8.jpg
eny4unav.jpg

I want to try now with the olive pants. Any suggestions? In this picture he is wearing the jacket but still with no weathering

6eretymu.jpg

Back