How to Make Headsculpts Help

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeviousDexter

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Would like to learn how to make and paint my own head sculpts for my customs. Interested in learning the craft, any good websites out there to get me started?

I'd like to know where to purchase the stuff I'd need to sculpt, mold, and paint my customs.

To sculpt, depends on how you go about it, either sculpting it from scratch or over a base head.
Over a base head I would recommend a 2 part putty eg Apoxy Sculpt.
If you are sculpting one from scratch I would recommend a oven clay which you heat up after finishing your sculpt.
This is the kind of stuff you need to make your mold for casting:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230910256865?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
and a resin to cast them in eg https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271137287415
Any watered down acrylic paints work fine.

There are also you tube videos, I use super sculpy and any sort of tools I can think of to shape it, ( whatever works) eyes either find beads or roll and bake separately, I also bake a rough skull shape or tin foil to save on sculpy an give a solid base to work on so I can apply more pressure then others probably do, smoothing seems to be a hard earnt secret using skill and rubbing alcohol.

Is there anything you guys use to hold the clay. My fingers keep pressing in on the sides I'm not working on.

For my Sculpey heads I make a little sculpey lollipop shape on the end of a wooden dowel, cook that and then carry on sculpting over the top of it.
As for tools; look for wax carving tools on eBay and buy a set of different sizes of sewing needles and darning needles, too.

I actually build my own sculpting base for sculpting heads. I sculpted the first one and then make a resin copy of that. Then add apoxie clay over the resin piece to form out the head a bit to where I want it. Then sculpt Super Sculpey over that for the fine details and finish. I always sculpt my heads bald then cast that to make any hair or beard revisions if needed. It's a slow process so take your time and have fun.

I actually build my own sculpting base for sculpting heads. I sculpted the first one and then make a resin copy of that. Then add apoxie clay over the resin piece to form out the head a bit to where I want it. Then sculpt Super Sculpey over that for the fine details and finish. I always sculpt my heads bald then cast that to make any hair or beard revisions if needed. It's a slow process so take your time and have fun.

Great tips, thanks

Hi Guys, I'm pretty new to 1/6 and all of this, but fancy a crack at creating head sculpts - which Super Sculpey would u recommend? The Firm Grey or the Regular Beige.

Also, what type of tools will I need? Would a set like this do?

[ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Wax-Carving-Set-Pieces/dp/B0038L97W0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362671171&sr=8-2[/ame]

Lastly do you use items such as vernier calipers to measure, etc...

Sorry - please excuse the noob questions! :)

50/50 mix beige and grey, tools any thing that works I use tools that have various size ball tips as well standard clay tools

Back