How to cast 1/6 heads

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The £12 resin set would do you 15 heads maybe and the shelf life will be a few months at best. Try and make sure to get the lids on quite quick as the air ruins it over time.

The silicone will last friggin ages as i dont think there's a shelf life. I'd get at least 1kg which would do lots of molds. Or the 550g for 1 maybe 2 large molds or 4-5 small molds.

The £12 resin set would do you 15 heads maybe and the shelf life will be a few months at best. Try and make sure to get the lid on quite quick as the air ruins it over time.

The silicone will last friggin ages but i'd get at least 1kg which would do several molds.

Thanks alot for the information! I'll see how it goes. Thank you for all of the help!

Crimsonbob has it...good process. Only suggestion i have is use styrene sheets as the 'barrier' around the head. Cut the sheets, bend it around the head, tape and then hot glue to the foam board. This process creates a round mold wich is easier to rubber band when casting. Try supporting the piece with wax sprues if you have a unique sculpt. This creates a natural poor point and very minor flashing and trim work on your final piece.

Here is pic which may help. You can get the styrene sheets at your local hobby shop. I did about 18 molds in one night with this process. Good luck and look forward to seeing nicholson.

Here is pic which may help. You can get the styrene sheets at your local hobby shop. I did about 18 molds in one night with this process. Good luck and look forward to seeing nicholson.

Thanks for the advice

whats better to do castings in:
Polyurethane pieces or Polyester casts?

is there a better alternative?

The easyist way is ot buy plastic cup's I put blue teachers tack in the bottom no need to use glue!

My advice is if u are going to do this do it write u need capabilitys to degass the silicone and pressure cast the resin other wise u will have mixed results. With vacuuming and pressure casting u are gauranteed 100% perfect moulds and castings.

I use mould max 40 silicone in my opinion its the best espeacialy if u are doing spit glove moulds u make your cut down the side and wiht other silicone when taking it out u will rip your mould with mould max 40 u make your cut and u caN PULL IT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT U WILL NOT MAKE THE RIP ANY BIGGER! The down side is if u are not vacuuming the silicone its useless.

Now i know others whom don't pressure or vacuum cast and there castings and they are pretty good but not 100% perfect ever!

Back