"How to Build Your HT Predators Correctly"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudshark

Plastic Figure Addict
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Someone expressed a desire for a new thread that gathers all of the most essential information one would need to build any of the many Hot Toys Predators that have been produced. There are already quite a few excellent threads dedicated to HT's Predator lines, but hunting for tips or trying to find specific information about putting them together usually requires sifting through hundreds of posts.

So the purpose of this thread, first and foremost, will be to provide the basic information that anyone new to building these awesome figures will need to help them assemble their Predator/s with complete confidence... without having to spend hours looking for the information in other threads.

Since I've personally built all of the Predators except Ani-Com Scar, and in some cases more than one of each, I thought I'd go ahead and get this thread started. There are many other veteran HT Predator collectors who also have loads of valuable tips and insight to share, so I welcome all who wish to contribute by posting their suggestions here, and I will then compile a list which can be updated periodically with new information and pics.

First of all, there will be a general assembly guide to cover all of the basics, but since there are so many figures out now, it would probably be best to categorize them first into basic groups, "AvP", "Predator 2", "AvP: Requiem", and eventually "Predator". Then each figure can be listed individually, so that we can gather specific information particular to each, as they all have unique characterisics and differences.

Note: This post is just to get things started... I'll edit/delete some or all of it once the lists are set up. After that I'll try to keep all the information gathered updated on this page. :D

Let's try to keep comments and photos related to assembly, painting and so forth, so we can keep this thread free from general discussion about Predators... please! Thanks everybody! :duff :bow

First and foremost have all of your tools out. You will need some boiling water to dip the parts in. They will go on much easier. Submerge them for a good 5 to 10 seconds. Do this to the heads as well. You should also have superglue on hand as accidents happen. Plyers and tweezers are good to have as well. Also be very patient or you are bound to break something. Also make sure you have photos for reference up on you're computer. That way parts don't get put on wrong. A good example of this is the Wolfs knee guards. I myself put them on upside down.

One tip for those that may be assembling AVP Preds. Take a rubberband and tightly wrap it around the lower part of the dreads and let it sit for awhile. I let mine sit this way for about a day. This will help them lay down a little better when you get around to putting the head on. Helps prevent the "afro dreads."

First and foremost have all of your tools out. You will need some boiling water to dip the parts in. They will go on much easier. Submerge them for a good 5 to 10 seconds. Do this to the heads as well. You should also have superglue on hand as accidents happen. Plyers and tweezers are good to have as well. Also be very patient or you are bound to break something. Also make sure you have photos for reference up on you're computer. That way parts don't get put on wrong. A good example of this is the Wolfs knee guards. I myself put them on upside down.

I strongly agree with having tools ready! On top of that, I'd also recommend the following:

-Hair-dryer as a substitute for those who do not want to use the boiling water method.

-Make sure you have TIME & PATIENCE, these figures can take a while to put together sometimes and you certainly do not want to rush things as it can lead to frustration and you can accidentally damage some pieces.

-Read and follow the instructions (closely but not always directly): Don't think you can just put this thing together without them! The construction of their armor is very unique and sometimes you need the instructions as a guide to know what you can pull apart and what you can't...as well as what goes on first, etc. I say follow them closely but keep an open-mind as some methods for putting armor on can work better than the instructions state.

-REFER TO BOX IMAGES & FELLOW COLLECTORS' IMAGES FOR HELP: If your questioning the way a piece goes on, refer to the Hot Toys' box images of the completed figure or an image of a completed figure online from your fellow collectors. Keep in mind to check and double-check because in some cases once a piece goes on, it can be a pain to change it and could lead to you damaging the figure to correct it.
Good Example: The first example that pops into my mind is the Wolf Predator's kneepads, I questioned the direction of which they went on. They have a unique rounded side and then the other side has two riveted cuts into them. I referred to the HT box and they showed the rounded side down. Here on SSF I noticed a lot of people had the riveted cuts down (some had the rounded side down). So I then referred to my ultimate source: the AvP:R design book I have which showed the rounded side down on the Wolf. So HT's box was correct and I placed the knee pads on this way. I noticed that HALF of the people posting images of their Wolf Predator here on the SSF Board had their knee-pads on wrong. Whether they care or not is their personal preference but this is just an example of what I was talking about and that critical nature to just "double-check" any sources.

FB: I do appreciate the humor, but please, let's keep this thread only for technical information. Constructive, strictly HT Predator-related posts are always welcome, but please refrain from posting comments like the above from now on. :nono

Some of the Predators are challenge enough to put together stone sober. Since a certain amount of manual dexterity is required for the job, alcohol is really the last thing anyone needs! :rolleyes:

You'd actually be doing us a big favor if you'd kindly delete that post, but it's entirely up to you. If you do, I'll delete this one as well. Your (serious) cooperation in helping to make this thread a useful source for anyone looking for definitive information on assembling, modding and painting their HT Preds would be much appreciated. :D

who says he's not serious?:confused: I've always had a nice cold Beer or three :drink while I put mine together. you asked for advice and got it. basically, relax. :D :duff

Holley hell!
I'm at a public forum, and basically being told to shut up? :confused:

I doubt my small ass posts bothers anyone.
But hey! It's YOUR thread right?

Oh and FYI, it seems like P!tu, mr.thrifty, and I DO have a drink when assembling a Pred.

[I'll delete this post soon too, so don't bother to comment]

it's stuck. I think most all do. :drink :duff :D

Holley hell!
I'm at a public forum, and basically being told to shut up? :confused:

I doubt my small ass posts bothers anyone.
But hey! It's YOUR thread right?

Oh and FYI, it seems like P!tu, mr.thrifty, and I DO have a drink when assembling a Pred.

[I'll delete this post soon too, so don't bother to comment]

Ease up, bro! Sorry if I offended you, I certainly meant nothing personal by it! I would never tell anyone to shut up on this board, basically or otherwise. I thought your comment was funny, btw. Go ahead and post away if you want, I really don't care.

I started this thread for other people, not for me, and I was just trying to suggest that we use this thread only for more "technical" information, in order to save them a lot of time hunting through hundreds of posts looking for the information they need. Sorry if I failed to explain that without offending you, I'm not much of a diplomat, obviously. Just forget I even mentioned it.

who says he's not serious?:confused: I've always had a nice cold Beer or three :drink while I put mine together. you asked for advice and got it. basically, relax. :D :duff

You're right, of course. Had a long, frustrating day and got home very late and tried to play "thread cop"... my bad. Now I know I should have just let it go. Sorry I didn't. Let's just forget it ever happened, shall we? :duff :bow

awesome of you to apoligize Mudshark. Thats a true standup guy for ya.

Ok , to put together all my hot toys predators I always have with me a drink for starters because of the time it takes and the frustration it can sometimes cause.
I always use a heat gun which are really cheap and soften the joints after about 10 seconds enough for them to stay secured but to easily slip in.
Be warned though they get very very very hot , I actually got a blister on one finger for putting it over the front whilst it was on.
As for putting the accessories in there hands ( spears mainly ) I also use a heat gun and open the palms wide enough for the spear to fit , quickly slip it in ( sounds very wrong :lol :lol: ) and then hold the fingers shut on the weapon after getting the right position on them.

All I can think of really for now . ;)

It was AA's post in another Pred thread gave me the idea to start this in the first place. Here's the original post:

What I really want is a "technical only" thread about the preds: how to built them, what to look out for. I have a couple of preds, but I haven't built them yet because there's no room to display at the moment. I'm not really looking forward to browsing through all the pred threads to find the helpful hints and comments you guys made regarding the assemblage of each specific pred when the day comes that I get to assemble mine... So, a "how to built your preds" thread would be a real asset to this board.

I thought it was a really good idea, and imagined a thread with just a few condensed pages containing only pics and explanatory text, listing the "essentials" for assembling, modifying and maybe painting the various HT Predators figures. That's about it... I haven't really had time to think it through beyond that. I don't even know if it this would work, but I thought it was worth a try.

Can anyone suggest a good way to compile all the information and pictures while keeping the thread itself as short as possible? I thought maybe the information could be compiled, everyone given credit for their contributions, and then maybe the original posts voluntarily deleted after being recorded and updated in the main file. Maybe that way the thread wouldn't get filled up with so many posts and it would be easier to get the information quickly.

If anyone can suggest a better way to go about it, please let me know. :D

You're right, of course. Had a long, frustrating day and got home very late and tried to play "thread cop"... my bad. Now I know I should have just let it go. Sorry I didn't. Let's just forget it ever happened, shall we? :duff :bow

You know what time it is?!!!!!

It's peace pipe time!!!!!!!:peace

That was nice of you to apologize.

Tip: When putting them together, never think that it would be easier to undo the straps to the thigh and shoulder armor, and then put them back together once on. I didn't, but my Wolf came like that and it was a ^^^^^ to get his straps back the way they are supposed to be.

FACEBOX PMed me the other day and we're good again. Who says Aliens and Predator Freaks can't get along? Hey wait a minute... I'm both! :monkey5

Still thinking about the best way to construct this data thread. Guess I'll start putting some lists together this weekend. I hope we can get eventually include some tutorials with pics. Any other suggestions you might have are definitely welcome, guys!

Last edited:
i was pissed when i put my predator together, and it took me so long that i started getting that aggrivating hung over feeling and broke the underarm sling for the wolf armor, so dont drink too much when your putting em together

Back