how scale size grading works

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abananafarmer

Super Freak
Reaction score
Guys, maybe you can help me understand how the higher end statue production works on the size scale side of things.

i know the scale represents a set portion of what the original size is, however i feel its inconsistent but maybe im missing something.

If you look at this for example, if both are 1/4 scale statues how is it that stider is so much smaller then the horse and the dark rider ?

nv40b8.jpg

hopefully someone can let me know how this scaling works :dunno

If they were both true 1/4 scale then the discrepancy wouldn't have existed

Clearly one or both are over or undersized to some degree

so when a reputable company like sideshow say a statue is 1/4 it may or may not be true ? that just sounds off to me. false advertising tbh.

does the scale grading generally run of the height of the original ? is mass or width taken into account in any way ?

I think the Strider Statue is 1/6 scale. Don't think its a PF, since theres no Cloth Material.

these scale sizes are for a 6ft tall person standing straight not including base...1/12 scale is 6 inches tall, 1/9 scale is about 8 inches, 1/6 scale is 12 inches, 1/5 scale is about 15 inches, 1/4 scale is 18 inches, 1/3 scale is 24 and 1/2 is 36 inches tall

so when a reputable company like sideshow say a statue is 1/4 it may or may not be true ? that just sounds off to me. false advertising tbh.

does the scale grading generally run of the height of the original ? is mass or width taken into account in any way ?

Obviously the height and width are supposed to be equally considered...otherwise the item wouldn't look proportional.

Mass is a function of what materials are used in production. A 1/4th scale item can weigh anywhere from less than 5 pounds to 20 pounds. Obviously they aren't going to produce a PF of a horse and rider wearing armor that the statue itself would weigh 300+ pounds. :rotfl

Obviously the height and width are supposed to be equally considered...otherwise the item wouldn't look proportional.

Mass is a function of what materials are used in production. A 1/4th scale item can weigh anywhere from less than 5 pounds to 20 pounds. Obviously they aren't going to produce a PF of a horse and rider wearing armor that the statue itself would weigh 300+ pounds. :rotfl

Weight to size ratio works differently...If a statue is 1 ft tall and weighs 5 pounds and you double the size using the exact materials it would weigh 8x as much meaning 40 Ibs...basically double the length,width and height of a piece increases weight by 8 fold...A 200 lb human 6ft tall...make him 12 ft tall and he's now 1600lbs

Weight to size ratio works differently...If a statue is 1 ft tall and weighs 5 pounds and you double the size using the exact materials it would weigh 8x as much meaning 40 Ibs...basically double the length,width and height of a piece increases weight by 8 fold...A 200 lb human 6ft tall...make him 12 ft tall and he's now 1600lbs
That's assuming that the item is solid and or everything in the item is scaled exactly the same. If you had a bronze statue and doubled it's size, you wouldn't necessarily double the width of the outer bronze layer.

these scale sizes are for a 6ft tall person standing straight not including base...1/12 scale is 6 inches tall, 1/9 scale is about 8 inches, 1/6 scale is 12 inches, 1/5 scale is about 15 inches, 1/4 scale is 18 inches, 1/3 scale is 24 and 1/2 is 36 inches tall

dark rider is 31" tall, knock off 1 inch rough for the base making the horse standing at 30" in the current pose.

30"*4 = 120"

120" to feet = 10 foot.

10 foot to hands high is about 30 hands high.

this is wrong. worlds tallest horse is just over 20 hands high ..

all these are rough stats of course.

Last edited:
Guys, maybe you can help me understand how the higher end statue production works on the size scale side of things.

i know the scale represents a set portion of what the original size is, however i feel its inconsistent but maybe im missing something.

If you look at this for example, if both are 1/4 scale statues how is it that stider is so much smaller then the horse and the dark rider ?

nv40b8.jpg

hopefully someone can let me know how this scaling works :dunno

lulz
the Strider and Legalos are obviously not 1/4 scale.
Most likely they are 1/6

...though lately Sideshow have decided to go into 1/5 statues to ensure everyone is as confused as possible :D
The Star Wars Mythos line and the new Indy Pursuit of the Ark statue are all 1/5.

dark rider is 31" tall, knock off 1 inch rough for the base making the horse standing at 30" in the current pose.

30"*4 = 120"

120" to feet = 10 foot.

10 foot to hands high is about 30 hands high.

this is wrong. worlds tallest horse is just over 20 hands high ..

all these are rough stats of course.

Look at the picture of the statue. It's standing on its hind legs. :slap:slap

are you saying they are sculpting the size of the original in a 6 foot form ? asin if they sculpt a 1/4 hobbit they sculpt him as if he was 6ft tall ?

Of course not.

The 1/4 Frodo is smaller than the other 1/4 items.

Sometimes there are minor scale issues here and there, such as a company may make R2D2 too big or too small, or sometimes they'll make a 5'8" character the same size as a 6' character, because of the cost inefficiencies of manufacturing multiple base figures (usually with 1/6 figures). But nothing stupid like making a hobbit the size of a normal figure.

Back