how often do you 'settle'?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ortiz344

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know i do it...by settle, i mean buy a cheaper fig because its close enough?
Sure the hot toys joker is great ...but is the dc direct one good enough?
Id love to have a hot toys hicks but pricewise, i wont do it...so I just got the kaybee hicks.

Hey it aint great but is it enough to keep me going, probably...surely id upgrade if given the chance , but he serves his place.
(not a great example because the difference is SO vast in this case but, ya know).

Actually joker may be a great example:
dc joker>HT joker>BRjoker>DLX Joker>whatever the next even better joker fig is
Im sure some people need them all but, really?

Or maybe no company has even really made a decent rendition of a character you want? Then what (custom route is way expensive)...

Last edited:
What's the point? I'd rather have what I want, or save up until I can get it. Why should I buy something that sucks?

Never give up, NEVER SURRENDER.

Uh, wait, that has nothing to do with the topic. I don't settle. I don't like settling, unless it is into a new home and even then I don't like unpacking....

Personally, i collect a lot of lines/things and although i afford a lot, i cant always get the top of the line offerings in all of the lines i collect else id go broke fast.

As far as I can tell in the 12" range hot toys is the top...unfortunately for me, they are also priced very high.
roughly
Hasbro 12" =20-30$
SS 12"=40-90$
medicom= 130$
hot toys 150-$

Some figs have options (indy/han hasbro,SS,medicom)
some dont (dutch HT)

I guess i prefer variety and quantity over only selecting a few choice expensive pieces...and noone can convince me, no matter how cool it is, that the hicks hot toys is worth 200-300 bucks...no way...

I know i should focus more but geez
be it the medium (bust /statue/pf/figure/movie prop)
or franchise(SW/indy/pred/aliens/ghostbusters/marvel/dc)
I like em all, its not like this is 'sophies choice' here but gosh, how can anyone focus when so much great stuff is out there?

Last edited:
i been this road....get the one that you want ...dont compromise as likely you will regret ...then you buy it and dont know what to do with the earlier fig.

I'm not a fan of settling either. In some cases I don't mind having the figure that's "worse". For example, I like the Bank Robber Joker. Sure, the DX Joker is technically better, but I like his Bank Robber outfit and accessories best, so to me, that's the figure I want.

Of course, in the case of something like the PF Dr. Doom...I might have to settle there.

I find that "settleing" generaly makes you spend more money in the long run. you want something expensive, you cannot afford it, so you " settle" for something simular, but cheaper. HOWEVER, this does not work, as you compare it to other pieces i n your collection, and you find it lacking. slowly, over a long, LONG period of time, you grow to dislike the cheaper piece, untill you finaly break down and buy the more expensive one, generaly at a much higher price than if you had just bought it in the first place, and don't forget the 20-30$ you spent on this "it's just as good" piece.

The only times I 'settle' is when none of the better manufacturers have made it,

Or Hasbro or equivellant has so I use the parts and bash a custom

Id never buy the cheaper version just to get that particular figure in my collection

Space is at a Premium, if Im putting something in there then I want it to be the best there is

Sometimes,you cant be patient with certain figs, such as HT OC batman for eg. Once it's gone, you gonna have to fork out a huge chunk of money to buy him from other sellers

I have bought lesser figures not because I am settleing but because I don't care enough about the character to spend 2-3 times as much for the best one (or I don't think the quality is 2-3 times better.) I love my DC Direct Joker and until the DX was announced I didn't feel the need to upgrade to the BR or HT's one.

I agree that you should not 'settle.' I am dealing with the results of settling RIGHT now. For a long time, I wanted the Wolverine Comiquette, but didn't have the funds; instead I bought the Logan PF and a Bowen FS Wolverine. Now look at me, I am trying to sell my Logan PF and Bowen FS for the cheap to go back and buy the Wolverine Comiquette which has inflated in price over the last year.

2 things I regret selling is my Attakus Hulk and my grey Hulk Sideshow vs dio...:monkey2

Try not to settle, if I can't afford a figure/don't want to pay for it I just don't worry about it.

And with some, even if its a character I want... if the quality isn't there I won't buy it. I'd rather have a gap in my collection than a crap figure.

Back