How much varnish is too much varnish?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just finished painting a hair sculpt I did for HT Luke Skywalker, and after that I applied a satin sealant to the piece, but it came out looking a lot glossier than I had expected. So after waiting for it to dry, I applied a coat of matte varnish, but it didn't seem to have much effect. I'm thinking of applying another matte coat in the morning.

Is there a limit to how many clear coats of satin, gloss, or matte (especially matte in this case) I can apply to a painted piece?

I'm just trying to avoid stripping the paint and repainting, but it looks like gelled/slightly wet hair.

Are you using Testors Dull Coate? That should take care of it with one coat.

No I'm using Liquitex Matte Varnish, which worked pretty well for me the past couple times I used it, but this time it doesn't seem to be cutting the shiny. Maybe I laid the initial satin coat on too heavy. I will probably apply another matte varnish coat tomorrow, but I don't know what to do next if the second coat doesn't work.

I may switch over to testors though. I should've gone that route to begin with, I've heard all good things.

You know you've used too much of the Liquitex Varnish when it turns sort of cloudy and blueish. I like the Dullcoat and actually use the Liquitex Matte as a semigloss.

Yeah that was what I was trying to avoid, so I was afraid of using too many coatings. Once I reached 4 on one particular piece and it wasn't actually becoming any more matte, I think it was time to find a new sealant. Dullcote, here I come.

Yeah that was what I was trying to avoid, so I was afraid of using too many coatings. Once I reached 4 on one particular piece and it wasn't actually becoming any more matte, I think it was time to find a new sealant. Dullcote, here I come.

Unless you're going spray can, don't forget the special brush cleaner they sell separately. :gah:

Back