How much $ have YOU spent??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 3 to 4k in the last 3 years. I started with lower end items that I knew would increase in value then resold and went to the higher end of the action figure market.
By "funding" myself this way I saved a few grand.

Why is everyone uncomfortable about telling how much they spent. Is it because deep down they feel guilty about spending money on something that doesn't really help the world much. Would you feel as bad if you were asked about how much money you gave to charity? I think in that case you would feel proud (yet humble of course).

Don't give into your materialistic desires too much. It's not 'worth' it.

Interesting point here. I don't disagree with you - material possessions do not bring happiness - but actually, I think that toy collecting is WAY down the scale of financial immorality behind, say, buying a fast car or a cutting-edge computer for gaming. It's just that those things are deemed 'cool' and therefore socially acceptable, while toys are not. This, I think, is rather a sad state of affairs - after all, at least a toy collector ADMITS that his expensive but useless items are just toys.

I felt (correctly, as it turns out) that I was spending more on my HT Predator collection than on any hobby theme I'd had before. However, what I've spent there is a fraction on what I've spent on relative necessities like a new car for my growing family (we're a single-car household, BTW) or have lost due to the recent stock market fluctuations. In fact, it's about the same as I've spent on newspapers over the same period. And even then, most of my money came from getting out of miniature wargaming (after almost 20 years in that hobby). So by any logical analysis, I've not really misspent - I mean, I could sell them easily and make a profit, which is more than I can currently say for some of my investments. And, equally, had the money been spent on a holiday or car, it would be GONE GONE GONE.

So no, I don't feel guilty. There are far better things I could have done with my money, yes, but also far worse. I'm somewhere in the middle, as are most of us.

Money is just money. Hopefully you can manage and keep a balance between buying what makes you happy and also saving for your wants and desires in the future.

When you die, your money won't come with you. You should have what fun you can while you can.... within reason. :D:lol

money sucks , my house looks like crap because I keep spending it all on figures..
that stay in their boxes because instead of buying shelves I buy figures !.

money sucks , my house looks like crap because I keep spending it all on figures..
that stay in their boxes because instead of buying shelves I buy figures !.
That would be me, but i still live with my parents, and they don't make me pay for ^^^^, although that's probably because I'm only 14.

Material possessions make me very happy :D and what?:lol

My bad for a trite statement.

Material possessions do not by themselves make you happy in any real sense. They can be a lot of fun, but that's not the same thing as really happy IMO.

my dog ate my digital camera months ago and i still need one but when ever i get money i always spend it on f'n toys ahhhhhh i also need to start taking driving lessons but obviously no money. im really gonna have to take it easy from now on but as soon as they release p1 and the crew ill end up spending all the money i saved. this collectables buisness is a serious addiction

Why is everyone uncomfortable about telling how much they spent. Is it because deep down they feel guilty about spending money on something that doesn't really help the world much. Would you feel as bad if you were asked about how much money you gave to charity? I think in that case you would feel proud (yet humble of course).

So, from the responses I see it seems that deep down people feel guilty about giving into their desires about Hot Toy collecting that results in limited personal gain.

Hopefully your degree wasn't in psychology, as you might have been ripped off with that analysis :lol This is a community in which people talk about their collecting habits and part of that can be what you purchases are.

I don't have any qualms about how I spend money or what I spend it on. I enjoy collecting and I find it to be a great hobby. Just because one person feels guilt over spending, doesn't mean others share the same feeling... we can't generalize from one example to all people.

"How much $ have YOU spent??"

More than anyone can even guess. :D

Have you seen my collection? :rotfl

Nothing like the amount i would have spent if i had nt quit my 20-a-day cigarette habit two years ago.:banana

The most for anything 1/6 ive spent is the Hot Toys Tumbler.Although i do nt know how much Enterbays Fist of Fury is going to be yet.

The material possessions equalling or not equalling happiness debate - I'd agree that they don't equal happiness, nor would they in any way compensate or distract from something really bad happening in my life - such as a death or breaking up with my g/f. I know this because the latter almost happened relatively recently - had me as depressed as I've ever been - the toys seemed superfluous and insignificant. Furthermore my g/f had a Big C diagnosis early this year, one of the operable ones but it still scares the **** out of me let alone her. I've become a hypochondriac on her behalf and again it makes the toys seem pointless. I still allow myself to revert into the escapism when things are going alright and I'm still ordering new stuff but I expect future worries to put things in perspective again, mentally if not in my financial reality (my current preorders may remain standing at least).

mmm i have spent $ 540 for 3 predators and $ 300 on 2 alien sideshow statues . i just started collecting Hot toys line this february
i don´t have mush space in my apartment and the wife wont let the collection be anywhere other than the tv room.
i hope we can get a house next year

man we should just add all our money 2gether and make the best Alien 5 / Predator 3 :lol
YES!!!! :rock :rock!!!!
new question, dose anyone regret spending the money?????

i do, but i don't. i regret spending the inflated prices because i didn't want to buy all the stuff at retail when all the AVP predators were originally released.

Back