How many would have bought the throne if it had been made of durable plastic?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they added lights, magnets and lightsabers to this set it would have been $250 and rotted on their warehouse floor.

And yet Hasbro can release limited runs of their large Millenium Falcon and AT-AT playsets, each retailing well under $200?

How much did Hasbro sell their 1/6 speeder bikes (with figture) for? $50? (genuinely curious)

We are talking about a plastic toy chair here folks! How complex is this in comparison? It takes what...maybe two or four pieces at most that snap together on top of a swivel base.

Lights? Magnets? Metal for a saber hilt? As a toy/collectibles company like Sideshow, it would not be hard to source these items for very cheap. If this is too much R&D for them, then a plastic throne under $50 would still be profitable, sell a lot more units, and most likely surpass the profit margins of any polystone piece.

Well, to be fair Hasbro sells many times as many figures as Sideshow, even for their most limited releases. But I also agree that Sideshow could make these things a lot cheaper if they felt the need to. But people are buying at this price, so why bother?

And yet Hasbro can release limited runs of their large Millenium Falcon and AT-AT playsets, each retailing well under $200?

How much did Hasbro sell their 1/6 speeder bikes (with figture) for? $50? (genuinely curious)

We are talking about a plastic toy chair here folks! How complex is this in comparison? It takes what...maybe two or four pieces at most that snap together on top of a swivel base.

Lights? Magnets? Metal for a saber hilt? As a toy/collectibles company like Sideshow, it would not be hard to source these items for very cheap. If this is too much R&D for them, then a plastic throne under $50 would still be profitable, sell a lot more units, and most likely surpass the profit margins of any polystone piece.

If it's not that hard, make your own :dunno The throne should be cheap soon with the eventual clearance with gift cards . .

I think about the Djarik table, and whether I would have been just as happy had it been plastic. Nope. Djarik table would have sucked in plastic.

As one of the top Jabba fans in this place (I'm probably around #3 behind icruise and.... Jabbafan), I have to sat how much I love Jabba's thone. BUT. But, as Jabba was rotocast, and therefore exceptionally light, it seemed highly incongruous to have such an incredibly heavy throne. I don't think that, if they had gone rotocast with that mold instead of polystone, the quality would have looked any less. And we could have saved a LOT of money! Also, since I stupidly threw away the box, I wouldn't have to constantly fear that the brittle polystone teeth on the gargoyle heads were gonna snap every time I move from one apartment to the next.

There aren't a lot of the big debates i get involved in anymore. I pretty much steer clear of the Vader dome/height debates, Sideshow Vs. Medicom / Hot Toys, or Yoda's chin, but the question of polystone Vs. plastic is a no-brainer for me.
Cheaper, lighter, more durable? Yes, I do wish Sideshow would go in that direction.

... but the question of polystone Vs. plastic is a no-brainer for me.
Cheaper, lighter, more durable? Yes, I do wish Sideshow would go in that direction.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

The simple fact is that by making it out of polystone, SS believes that it implies "higher quality", perhaps due to the weight and the whole "polystone" mystic. Certainly, "polystone" sounds more impressive than "plastic". I'm guessing that polystone, being a cold cast process, is probably more affordable for them, as well.

I think I heard that it was cheaper. I wonder if there simply wouldn't be enough of a profit margin to make using plastic on environment pieces worthwhile for them.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

The simple fact is that by making it out of polystone, SS believes that it implies "higher quality", perhaps due to the weight and the whole "polystone" mystic. Certainly, "polystone" sounds more impressive than "plastic". I'm guessing that polystone, being a cold cast process, is probably more affordable for them, as well.

then the question rises: if the polystone is cheaper to made in the cold cast process then why is it more expensive than simple plastic? Is the material more expensive - though polystone is a type of plastic too? Or because SS keeps the price high? Or other reasons?

then the question rises: if the polystone is cheaper to made in the cold cast process then why is it more expensive than simple plastic? Is the material more expensive - though polystone is a type of plastic too? Or because SS keeps the price high? Or other reasons?

You may want to re-read my post. ;)

Back