How Low Will Obi-Wan Go?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think his point is that you can find one for about $100 less than it originally sold for. Which is a very valid point for the title of this thread. I'd expect you to be able to find the regular edition of Obi for about $50 less than retail.

customizerwannabe said:
Ok. Maybe a bit more than a month. However, for those who paid the big buck, read it and weep.

https://www.toytracker.net/sideshow/tracking/sideshow.html/7116

No doubt that the value has dropped, and significantly at that. But look again, at the TT results, those include the 12" auctions too, and they needs to be remedied quickly. I certainly agree, that most if not all PF figures tend to drop to VERY low numbers after their initial release, but I think that the line is too new (at least in the big seller departments: Star Wars, LOTR) to make any long term guesses as to how they will hold their value. :peace

The Obi-Wan exclusive was so lame. It's cool that it's the training remote, but who the hell is supposed to use it?? I'll stick with the non-exclusive.

Vader AL said:
where have you seen luke for $125?

Actually, I've seen the 1/4 Luke sell for under $100 numerous times. Here is one quick example from a few months ago, and there were several others around the same price.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6004946112

My SDCC Luke only sold for $152.50 on Ebay when I decided that I didn't need both of them. That was after I relisted it 4 times because no one wanted it.

Collector Freak said:
The Obi-Wan exclusive was so lame. It's cool that it's the training remote, but who the hell is supposed to use it?? I'll stick with the non-exclusive.

Agreed. I think the exclusive is extremely nice, but it doesn't fit with any of the pieces. If I do keep the exclusive, I'll display it with Luke and Han.

I'm not making any claims regarding the long term value. My point was and is they can be had for 125.00 As you read there are 12" Luke's mixed in, but the proof is in the pudding. There are PLENTY that have made it through Ebay at 125.00 or less. Exclusives are fine and may well be a good investment at SS retail. The regular editions...well that's another story. I won't be buying any direct. I've picked up 2 PF figs so far and on the secondary market. Vader for 250.00 shipped and Van Helsing for 110.00 shipped. I was offered a Luke at 150.00 shipped. I just can't justify buying a regular edition from SS with those prices out there. No matter how good their customer service is.

customizerwannabe said:
I just can't justify buying a regular edition from SS with those prices out there. No matter how good their customer service is.

I am in total agreement there, no doubt about it. I think that this is why we were having the debate (or that spilled over into this board) a week or so ago; the retailers are losing out big time with the must-have exclusives. Exclusives are the only reason to go direct, ebay prices just can't usually be topped. When SS makes the exclusives must-haves (like most of the 12" line, and the PF Lurtz; just the few that come to mind), retailers feel the pinch.

LOTRFan said:
But look again, at the TT results, those include the 12" auctions too, and they needs to be remedied quickly.
This is definitely true for the moment -- A major resort, and the initiation of data sorting for the 150+ new items added to the Sideshow area is on the way. (Thus the "disclaimer" in red still at the top of that section) :peace

spaceman said:
This is definitely true for the moment -- A major resort, and the initiation of data sorting for the 150+ new items added to the Sideshow area is on the way. (Thus the "disclaimer" in red still at the top of that section) :peace

Excellent news spaceman. Your site is an invaluable resource. I do have one suggestion to make the site more navigable:

Is there any way that you can separate the Sideshow Star Wars sections into 1:1 busts, 1/4 figures, and 12" figures? They are all lumped together right now, which makes it somewhat difficult to read. I LOVE how the LOTR Weta pieces have a different section for all the types of products (Figures, Busts, Enviros, etc.) You could probably create a Sideshow Section, and then a section for each license. Each license could then have a grouping for each type of product.

Example:

Sideshow ----> Star Wars ----> 1:1 Busts

Sideshow ----> LOTR ----> 12" Figures

That sort of thing. Of course, the fact that this site exists at all is a labor of love on your part, so please don't feel like I'm demanding anything.:peace

I hate to see Luke selling for under $100.00, after I paid retail. Sideshow has to fix this problem. It just keeps happening. The editions are way too high for the PF line.

elwood49 said:
Excellent news spaceman. Your site is an invaluable resource. I do have one suggestion to make the site more navigable:

Is there any way that you can separate the Sideshow Star Wars sections into 1:1 busts, 1/4 figures, and 12" figures? They are all lumped together right now, which makes it somewhat difficult to read. Example:

Sideshow ----> Star Wars ----> 1:1 Busts

Sideshow ----> LOTR ----> 12" Figures

That sort of thing. Of course, the fact that this site exists at all is a labor of love on your part, so please don't feel like I'm demanding anything.:peace

Thanks Elwood & Customizer. I appreciate it. And no worries - polite & constructive suggestions/comments are always welcome! :peace

The problem with subdividing the Sideshow StarWars pieces is simply that they are already a subdivided category themselves, since Sideshow produces so many pieces. The Weta area was my first adventure into collecting and was the original motivation for the tracker. Since it is essentially just one product line, the subdivisions there tend to be more specific. I can see your point about a third category tier though, and it could be doable. I don't think it's justified yet, with the small number of items released -- but I'll definitely file the idea away for the day those collections may begin to approach the size of the Weta or Gentle Giant sets. THX!! :)

Let me ask a silly question here because I honestly don't know.

Why would anyone sell these figures at below retail? Do dealers get a discount for buying several figures at a time? I know if I paid $250 for a figure I sure won't turn around an e-bay the same figure for $200 or less.

How do people afford this? How do they make a profit? Or do they just lose money on them? I would suspect it's dealers who get discounted prices from SS to begin with??

Back