How Does SSC Decide If A PF Should Have Fabric Or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterToyNYC

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just received the SSC Wonder Woman PF. It's a beautiful piece and I am very happy with it, but I was rather disappointed to see that there is no fabric used on it at all. It's basically a 1/4, completely sculpted statue. Granted she's not wearing much so there aren't many places where fabric can be used, but they could have at least used some "leather" around the bustier part of her costume.

I was just wondering, how does SSC decide if a PF should include fabric or not??? :dunno

Eric

300115-wonder-woman-004.jpg

Mixed media is more expensive to develop and produce than a fully painted piece. This is just conjecture, but I'd imagine that PFs that they think will sell higher numbers (like Batman, Superman) are more likely to get fabric costumes. Also aesthetically does fabric work on the figure or add to the realism of the piece?

Normally I'd be very disappointed that Wonder Woman used no mixed media - but the bustier is sculpted extremely well to look like leather. I hate it when statues have costumes that could be second skins on a superhero - with no allowance made for texture or folds in the costume. But if the sculpt allows for that I'm more forgiving of the lack of fabric.

I don't think that this lacks fabric because they're worried about it selling. If they were worried about that they wouldn't be making nearly 10,000 of them.

I'm sure it's based off whether or not it makes sense to use fabric. This piece has so little room for fabric pieces that I imagine only using a few of them would look odd. Like if they used cloth for only the fabric hanging off the spear. It would end up looking like something I had tied on myself.

I don't think that this lacks fabric because they're worried about it selling. If they were worried about that they wouldn't be making nearly 10,000 of them.

I'm sure it's based off whether or not it makes sense to use fabric. This piece has so little room for fabric pieces that I imagine only using a few of them would look odd. Like if they used cloth for only the fabric hanging off the spear. It would end up looking like something I had tied on myself.

The design is the main reason. They have sculpted the hair as blowing in the wind. The cloth scrap on the spear reinforces this image and the idea of capturing a moment in time, which is what an art piece should do.

I'm more interested in knowing how they decide which statues will have googly eyes and which should be rushed with paintwork done as sloppy as possible.

Technically, they could use a piece of wire in the cloth to achieve the same effect.

which would allow posability, but wouldn't convey that "blowing in the wind" feel unless we posed it that way. By sculpting it they enforce the vision for the piece. Originally PFs were supposed to be large action figures - most some had posable parts. That went away after the first couple and now they are being designed as art pieces like any statue and the artist must be able to control all aspects of the look.

which would allow posability, but wouldn't convey that "blowing in the wind" feel unless we posed it that way. By sculpting it they enforce the vision for the piece. Originally PFs were supposed to be large action figures - most some had posable parts. That went away after the first couple and now they are being designed as art pieces like any statue and the artist must be able to control all aspects of the look.

Huh, didn't know that. Glad they shifted the direction that they did. I love the mixed media look but like statues for, as you put it, being designed as art pieces.

Back