How do you feel about real hair on 1/6 figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about real hair on 1:6 figures?

• Real hair all the way, including beards.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Real hair for everything but beards.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Real hair only for long haired figures, including long beards

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Real hair for long haired figures, but not the beards

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Real hair only for long haired female characters

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • no real hair, never.

Votes: 11 22.4%

• Total voters

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
There seems to be some division amongst collectors about if they want their dollies with real hair or sculpted. Some fans and developers have said that real hair is the future. Some collectors are completely resistant to it. Whether it's rooted, a wig or some other method, lots of companies are trying it.

I'm going to do a poll - but first I want to get feedback about what the choices should be so I make sure we cover the bases before we start.

I know it's a big assumption, but let's assume we're talking about real hair like HT Black Widow and not BCS Amy Pond.

So here's the categories I would use:

-Real hair for every figure - it's always adds to the realism.
-Real hair for long haired figures - it improves for articulation and looks better.
-Real hair only for long haired female characters.
-no real hair, never.

Please let me know if you have suggestions for other categories.

I think I'd get tired of cutting it every time it grew out.

Ba dum bum chhhhh!

Preferred, only long-medium length.

Short haired figures can't be mass produced yet to look good.

Most people don't have to ability/patience to futz the hair though, which is required. You can't expect it to look fine right out of the box. Maybe I'm just used to it, spending 30 min every morning on hair.

The real question here is... what constitutes good "real hair"? Or has it even been developed yet?

As you know Dave, I'm a big proponent of real hair, but I do see where it still needs to be developed. The wiry Barbie hair is what most people fear.

Also, what about beards? If you have real hair, but a sculpted beard -- think Gandalf -- that would look really weird.

You may need two more choices:
1) real hair for everything -- head and beard
2) verdict out until satisfactory "real hair" is developed

You could add a 'Real hair for male characters only' option and 'Real hair for animal type figures only', not sure if it would get any hits though. :lol

The real question here is... what constitutes good "real hair"? Or has it even been developed yet?

As you know Dave, I'm a big proponent of real hair, but I do see where it still needs to be developed. The wiry Barbie hair is what most people fear.

Also, what about beards? If you have real hair, but a sculpted beard -- think Gandalf -- that would look really weird.

You may need two more choices:
1) real hair for everything -- head and beard
2) verdict out until satisfactory "real hair" is developed

I tried to outline what I thought "good" real hair is - the last 2 HT Black Widows (not the first). I think the new HT Ripleys also qualify if the production matches the proto.

Beards is a good point too - that's another category to add.

I honestly would prefer real hair on long haired dollies regardless of their gender. The Thor figures are a pain to pose because of the hair, it's pretty bad - I find it funny that Black Widow's hair is shorter yet rooted and Thor's is sculpted... I suspect it's to pander to male insecurities - if Thor had rooted hair too many guys would freak (Honestly can't think of any other reason why BW would be rooted and Thor not). I think rooted is the way to go, including with long beards.

But if it's just stubble or short hair, a good sculpt and paint job should work fine in those cases, because lets face it - rooted hair is more of a pain to keep looking good and clean. If they can come up with good material to make rooted hair from that would keep its shape etc. that would go a long way toward being collector-friendly I would think. I think short to medium hair I probably prefer sculpts because of the care issues. But once it's Strider-length, go rooted, because that's when it starts interfering with articulation.

Thor's DW hair is intricate with braids and such... I'm not sure it would come out well mass produced. Unless you meant his Avengers and first movie's hair.

Any of it, but they could do it even braided - there's a head sculpt of a rooted version of Thor available on eBay with the braids and all, so I know it can be done. But certainly it could have been done for the first two releases of Thor from the Thor and Avengers movies at the very least.

I prefer real hair but more so on figures with long medium to long hair. I just think it adds to the realism.

The predators have rooted hair....
Sure they're like 1000x thicker than a strand of human hair but technically it's predator hair.
I say if they can pull it off and not make it look like a mop, or bad hairpiece, then go for it.
If they can find a way to keep the style from getting gnarly from handling, that'd be a plus....I don't want to have to go in and comb the hair of 1/6 figures with a little comb, even if it was molded in black....

I prefer real hair if it's done well. Right now there are only a handful of mass produced figures that pull it off, and those are females with long hair like Black Widow and Selina Kyle. However I am interested to see how ACI's Aragorn and Hot Toys' Ripley and Chewbacca come out. There are several fantastic customs with real hair that have been done folks like Elvis and Rahmier, but you're talking a couple hundred dollars or so per. If companies could match that level on a mass produced scale it would definitely take things up to the next level. I'm actually waiting for a good niche company to pop up that offers either real hair knock-offs or even something like the Kumik wig system. I understand the stigma of some folks not wanting "Barbie" hair, but I don't think having sculpted plastic hair suddenly makes a figure more "manly", and if anything if a step back from the level of realism and detail collectors are trying to achieve. Sculpted hair is a solution out of practically and cost, not for improved likenesses. For short-haired figures sculpted hair is certainly more practical. I've seen customs like Tyler Durdan and Tony Stark that look fantastic. But just like with any figure you've got to have a great sculpt to start with.

I like the idea of the poll and your questions are a great start.

No one has mentioned one important factor: COST This will surely add to and ever increasing amount of money these things are costing us.

I have the Avengers Widow and the hair is OK. I have a custom Joker and the real hair is off the charts--but it cost more than the entire Widow figure just for the HS.

As collectors we need to be careful of what we wish for: more realism, more money that is the reality we face.

No real hair, not ever. I have enough problems justifying this hobby to some people, I don't need more :lol.

I'm all for something different if it can be done with realisim. I think it would be cool, again if it can be done right. My only concern is, would they go bald as the figures age? Lol...

no real hair for me please.
I think its pain in the A$$ and over time it deteriorates ( in its own way) worse than cheap pleather
you should the beard and hair on my Gandalf from Toybiz from all those many moons ago..

He looks like a loon hobo ( nothing against homeless crazy people )

Back