How do you deal with haters of this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you are happy with your collection, don't put to any thought into what others think. The people that criticize don't understand, and it's not like you are looking to get their approval. Collect because you like to.

The fact they're referring to them that way should tell you something. The only reason people call them dolls is because that's the status quo. It's what most non-collectors have called action figures since the dawn of time, so your friends are doing the same thing because they'd rather go with the societal norm than to come to their own conclusions.
Quite frankly, I wouldn't consider anyone who can't think for themselves a friend. Not worth my time and it's not something that changes easily. It'll be a bigger pain in the ass keeping them around than accepting they can't be helped. Screw 'em, as everyone here has said.

It's a doll. GI Joes were/are glorified dolls.

We have played with and collect dolls.

A doll is a model of a human being, often used as a toy for children. Dolls have traditionally been used in magic and religious rituals throughout the world. Dolls can also be collected.

I don't give a rats ass what people say about me.Best thing you can do is to speak openly about it if they ask,joke about it,whatever.Be proud of your collecting habits.

Your cousins are teens you say.Well you can't expect much else from people at that age.

So do I.

I also play with my dolls and take their clothes off, accessorize and dress them.

Hot Toys Predator is an Action figure. Hot Toys Iron Man is an action figure.

Hot Toys Terminator is a doll. Hot Toys Joker is a doll.

To be honest, my parents look at what I have accumulated, and don't understand too much of it. But they do understand it's a hobby; which is something a lot of people lack in having these days from personal experience. My mother understands a bit more than my father, only because she is a fellow collector too. Though I think her hobby in collecting hand crafted/painted dishes from Portugal is pretty lame. I still appreciate that she enjoys the hobby of collecting, even though its something that doesn't interest me what so ever. When it comes to my friends I think they're just more irritated than anything else, solely because all I talk about is my 1/6th collection. Well, to a certain degree. Some of them even ask to look at some of your collections on this forum, and the customs being made. But there are some friends that are oblivious to the fact I am in this hobby, not because I feel I will be ridiculed, but because I'd rather show them when I have my whole collection displayed. Because i know they will appreciate it. Now when it comes to dating women, they really can't grasp the concept. Or they just don't care. But they all say the same thing in so many words: "At least you spend your money on something you're passionate about." Mind you, I sometimes I never hear from them again.

So Ryan, I really don't give a rat's ass about what others think. All I know is, when I get home, and want to just go through and awe at my collection I can. And the best part is, I can come on here and discuss it with all of you. Especially when I can come on here to just enjoy with what the community has to offer.

Ps awesome little collection you got there, really nicely displayed :clap

if you collect the dolls you deserve criticism and to be laughed at imo

1038625-real_dolls_3_super.jpg

I gave up caring what other folk think of me a long time ago, life's too short. **** em :lol

Never met any haters of the hobby, all others I convert :wink1: you can buy figures or statues of most other peoples likes these days... even a guy who ridicules me (in a friendly way) I got to buy figures from his favourite band :lol

Well, it it's not that much of an ungodly sight.. I wonder why those kiddies ran away? Must be the smell of lavender in the room.

r36t.jpg

Last edited:
Just tell them that you are a member of a collecting forum where mostly grown men get together to discuss the colour of Joker's socks or the way a custom Vader cape flows so much better than the stock cape. They'll completely change their opinion about you I reckon.

Just tell them that you are a member of a collecting forum where mostly grown men get together to discuss the colour of Joker's socks or the way a custom Vader cape flows so much better than the stock cape. They'll completely change their opinion about you I reckon.

:lol:lol:lol

My collection, small as it is now, is kept in my office. My bosses (which happens to be my parents, as it's a family business) would probably prefer it if my office wasn't festooned with figures, framed Calvin and Hobbes prints, goalie masks, and such. But they're okay enough with it.

As for other people - if they feel the need to disparage you, **** 'em.

Usually when people walk by my office, they spot something that causes them to say something to me about it. Whether it's a figure, some Disney stuff, or whatever - most people seem to love the opportunity to talk about or at least look at something fun.

In my experience, the percentage of people who scoff at this are getting smaller. It's so much more acceptable now to like "uncool" stuff. If comics, toys, and Star Wars were as socially acceptable when I was in high school as they are now, I'd have had a much easier time, socially.

Back