How do yo manage your collections

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoid2323

Super Freak
Reaction score
My collection is getting out of control.My problem is I get what I think is cool without thinking about how to display it.At this point I have a lot of Star Wars stuff from Code 3,Medicom,Master Replicas,Gentle Giant & Sideshow & I have Sideshow Bond PFs,Sideshow LOTR PFs,KISS PFs,Sports Memorabilia in my collection & now I cant resist the cool Marvel stuff from Bowen & Sideshow.Are all of you smart & collect just one line of collectables or do you have multible lines in your collections?Because I really love everything in my collection but displaying is becoming a prob.:confused:

Besides the Kiss PFs, we seem to be very similar as collectors go.

I have some Code 3, Medicom, Gentle Giant, and SideShow stuff in my collection. I collect game worn jerseys and hockey sticks (thus I am into sports memorabilia like you), I like the Marvel stuff from SideShow, and the SW stuff from Medicom, Code 3, and GG. I also have a LOTR sword, but that's it. I don't even have any of the films on DVD. Not a LOTR fan. I am more of a Buffy/Angel guy. But yes, I collect everything and anything. I am where you are, feeling a little bit overwhelmed by it all. I definitely need to sell off some stuff. I am all about the high end stuff now.

i've managed to have more impulse control since i got into the PF arena. due to the large scale i had to rethink my display arrangements. im going with select SW PF, select Marvel PF, select LOTR PF, and a couple others depending on how cool they are. however the 12" lineup is open game. im trying to limit it to strictly jedi, sith, some marvel figures, horror, but sometimes i can't help myself.

I manage my collection with ebay.

me too.It comes to a point where if there's no more room to display statues etc then off to Ebay it goes. Very difficult choices to make regarding which statue goes, but it's either that or have them stored in the loft which to me is pointless

I set a series of priorities, like how I manage everything. I decide which line I like most, and focus on it. Everything else is less important UNLESS something A- Super limited or B- Super cheap comes my way that's NOT part of the main line, than I make that priority.

In short: BUY WHAT YOU LIKE AS LONG AS YOU CAN PAY THE BILLS........even than, there's always Ramen:D

As far as clutter, I don't believe in it. Jam as much crap into 1 space as possible, totally classy:cool:

I set a series of priorities, like how I manage everything. I decide which line I like most, and focus on it. Everything else is less important UNLESS something A- Super limited or B- Super cheap comes my way that's NOT part of the main line, than I make that priority.

In short: BUY WHAT YOU LIKE AS LONG AS YOU CAN PAY THE BILLS........even than, there's always Ramen:D

As far as clutter, I don't believe in it. Jam as much crap into 1 space as possible, totally classy:cool:

Gruson should be along any minute to say the exact opposite...:lol

Honestly, I try to stick to a plan. Here are some of the rules I try to live and collect by. :)

-Don't be a completeist, buy only the things that you can't live without, and when things get too crowded for your liking or you lose touch with something- sell it to someone who will appreciate it more.

-IF you are buying something because everyone else is then I consider that a bad financial move and a personal collecting mistake. You will probably regret it.

-Don't just buy things that look cool either, save money and space by buying things you can relate to or have nostalgia about.

- Try to stick with a few companies not all of them.

- Try to think about your purchase for a couple of days if possible and then come back to them. We often buy things on impulse and upon arrival we can't find a place to put them and then have to pay the price later on.

- Don't buy more than one statue of the same character. I am guilty of this one though. I have several Hulk statues and three Spidermans in my collection. However, if you can follow his rule then you will cut down quite a bit on licenses like Marvel. Choose your favorite and let the rest go. :)

My #1 rule is quality over quantity! I like a manicured display. I pick and choose which very few items make the cut. Avoids the clutter and looks great.

DON'T BE A COMPLETIST FOR SURE! It will end you!

As far as clutter goes, some dislike it, I can get that, but I think sterile collections are boring, I like my house looking like some pop culture monster had the Hershey Squirts in it.

Sure El,

1. Quality over Quantity!
2. Clutter is Horrible
3. Ebay Rules

:)

That sum it up?

I rotate what I have on display. Somethings such as my Hulk PF and Capt PF will stay out. Others are shuffled around depending on my mood. I just put away some on my few Bond items so that I could display my X-Files stuff. In a few months, something else will have to do the same. Most of the things I own are things I want to keep, so ebay really isn't an option.

Stay clear of multiple versions of the same character unless he/she is the only thing you collect.

Don't buy into the hype. A lot of people on message boards like everything and you'll hear a lot of "Must OWN!!!" and such but they don't buy it themselves once is time to get it.

Try to only get what you can display now or in the very near future. Managing your collection also means managing your display. A lot of us struggle with the display factor.

My collection is getting out of control.My problem is I get what I think is cool without thinking about how to display it.At this point I have a lot of Star Wars stuff from Code 3,Medicom,Master Replicas,Gentle Giant & Sideshow & I have Sideshow Bond PFs,Sideshow LOTR PFs,KISS PFs,Sports Memorabilia in my collection & now I cant resist the cool Marvel stuff from Bowen & Sideshow.Are all of you smart & collect just one line of collectables or do you have multible lines in your collections?Because I really love everything in my collection but displaying is becoming a prob.:confused:

I only collect the characters I like which are from Marvel and DC and female busts and statues only. I don't really have an issue with star wars and the other stuff you mentioned cause I don't really care for any of that stuff and find them really boring but I can see where you would have issues. I suggest buying a bigger house lol or sticking with what you only like and not what you think is cool at the moment.

I've been complaining about space issues for a couple of years and still I buy! Sideshow makes it very difficult to go cold turkey, their stuff just delivers... that is, as long as it doesn't arrive damaged. I have dramatically cut bowen's stuff to stuff I really really like and for the most part, only bowens so I can get an autographed statue or bust. His thor is kick ass. I am going back and forth on the monsters and now I am back out. Bride was amazing, but I sent her back after getting bad fingers on two replacements. I also cut Master replicas a lot, glad I didn't get into the sabers, which would have cost a fortune. I still love the weta LOTR stuff, but I know over time, sideshow's PF's will overshadow those. Still kept most of those pieces which explains the lack of room. 12" figures I tend to flip more... I have kept some lines like the monty python and POTA, but that is because their prices have stayed down. Selling them off is the only way to keep a collection pruned.

Back