How do I explain...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa

Super Freak
Reaction score
So this weekend my father came to visit for a couple of days. My house is in disarray due to an in-process tiling job which is going really well, but slow because it's just me doing it. So maybe you can imagine half the furniture from one side of the house being stuffed into the furnished other side of the house (i.e. couch in the kitchen) and realize the obstacles it creates. In addition, all of these cool collectibles that I've been collecting but as of yet unable to fully appreciate due to lack of display space due to pending (now in process) home improvement job have been sitting in boxes in my spare bedroom where my dad is sleeping. Plus I have the whole boxed SSW LOTR display in my office (also due to lack of proper display space).

Needless to say, my fatherappeared a little worried. He's basically asks me what all this stuff is. I try to explain that they are worth money, but I would really like to display them in all their glory because I like them. His response, "Well, get the money now before the bottom drops out." My father is a very "unique" person that requires INCREDIBLE patience, but I love him regardless, as I'm sure all can relate. I proceeded to show him some of the past Ebay sales (stealth IM, green Hulk, doom, etc.) Didn't change his mind. I really think that having a few pieces on display may have helped change his mind, but that wasn't the case.

I can understand where he's coming from, because all he sees is some cardboard boxes taking up space. I also disclosed that I paid $300+ for some of these "boxes,"... thus further concerning him. Didn't seem to matter if those $300 boxes were now going for $700+ on Ebay. Shoot, wish my 401k did this well, rather than loosing the $ like they have these past year(s). I'm not getting rid of my collection and they will be displayed proudly in a short period of time when renovations are complete, but I still don't want him to hold some sort of intervention for my collector addiction.

Can anyone relate?

I think we can all relate Mesa. Anyone that see your collection will say WOW. When they hear the price, they just can't comprehend such an extravagant expense. Most say sell sell sell.

I wanted to insure my collection, but haven't as yet. The insurance salesman said my collection was more than my contents. Like derrrr. He wanted to know how come and why. What business of there's is it? You'd think insurance people would be accustomed to this sort of thing. He was very suspicious. I'd have to do a full inventory, take pictures etc. Yeah, when I get the time and inclination, I might. I bet it will be a huge premium to pay. Still, that was a year ago, and I still shudder. They'd probably think I was inflating figures to make a claim shortly after paying the premium. So my question is. Is your father in insurance? :lol

Are you an adult who is financially independant ??? If so, who cares about what your father thinks...

But if your father's pressure is too much, I'll gladly take some of those Marvel PF's off your hands.:D

Yes Shai, I'm a fully financially independent adult. But my parents (RIP Mom) have somehow managed to instill some everlasting fear of dissaproval in me that I will always be a slave to. I still hide the occasional cigarette that I may smoke from him. What can I say, my parents did well and instilled the FEAR OF GOD in me while I was growing up. Something which I would say is lacking in today's upbringing, but I digress....

Plasmid, My father has collected fossils, tools, and even some comics, etc.. Actually, this recent visit, he brought me all of his "Classics Illustrated" comics that he got as a kid.

But I still think it's hard for an older generation to understand how one could put down so much for something and even harder to understand how it could be worth that much more.

My father is 60. That generation has been through a lot where "disposable" income is a hard thing to comprehend.

My parents do the same when they come to my place. I straight tell them they are statues and I buy them because I love the intricate details and I love the characters.

I do what I want with my money and they understand that.

My parents love my collection as well, although they wouldn't display anything like that at their own place.

How hard this might sound, I'd say if your dad doesn't like your collection or can't understand you're keeping things, that's HIS problem, not yours. You obviously like the things you bought, and between the lines I seem to read that you also thought about it investmentwise (selling things for more money later on, if the chance arises or if things get financially difficult). You've thought things over, and you don't seem to regret your purchases.

So it seems to me you feel "guilty" (maybe not the right word) for buying the things you did because your dad doesn't approve. To me, that's just not right. It's a shame your dad doesn't like it as much as you do, but that's HIS oppinion, not yours. You have to make your own decisions now that you live alone, and if your dad can't approve of the things you do while you think you've done "the right thing", then I'd say let him be and enjoy what you bought.

Having said that, I can understand why such a thing would be hard for you to do, regarding your youth/relationship with your parents. But I don't think "fear" is a good thing to base decisions on. Good luck!

my mom thinks some of the stuff is cool... heck she even bought some of them for me as christmas/ birthday presents. the rest of my family thinks i'm immature and what not because i still buy toys and that they are a waste of money. i told them not to worry about what i spend my money on because i worked for it.
~~none of my GFs have ever understood why i spend so much money on my collection either.

Friends always say SELL SELL SELL, but for what? To BUY BUY BUY crap that's worth half what you paid the minute you use? I love my iPod touch, but as soon as the sseal on the box was broke it lost half it's value. Same with all electrical goods, cars, furniture, life...

Or I could go the route of most of the UK, laugh at how much others spend on a hobby they love, then piss my savings down the drain, literally, on booze. Or crappy food. My bro and his (somewhat large...) family were spending in excess of £120 A WEEK ($240+) on takeaway's alone. Thankfully they're trying to change their ways now, but if that's not a waste of money, nothing is.

Don't get me wrong - I don't collect as an investment. But it is reassuring to know that, if the worst came to the worst, I can at least get back most of the money I've spent, if not a little extra.

That's how I explain it to my wallet... :D

same here my parents specially my dad those'nt really agree with my collection. I started collecting dvd's 4 years ago and now with 800+ dvds not counting my dvd sets. I stared collecting collectables less than a year ago and every time they come over i always get the same question, why are you wasting your money? My mom bless her heart backs me up to some extent, i do the same i explain what they are worth and tell them they hold their value. When i show them what they are going for at the present time they go into why don't you sell them mode. But it's all good at the end they say it's your money do as you like but i always get that look from him, you know that look when they say "it's ok" but you can tell they are saying what a waste of money.

I guess fortunately for me both of my parents were collectors of one thing or another. Granted my statues cost a fair amount more than what they were usually in to, but they can appreciate them....or at least they pretend to. :lol Plus, at my age, my parents know they have no right to tell me how to live my life. If I was having serious financial problems because of this and it was more like an addiction than hobby, they would no doubt intervene because they care...but I've always been the mature and more responsible one, so they let me live my life the way I want and even if they don't "get" some of my decisions they still smile. :)

I agree with your dad. Sell them before it's too late. This stuff is just a bunch of clutter and you will be a much wiser person to make the money off of your mistakes while you can. Do you want to live in a pigsty of geekdom? :D

:lol:lol All this talk about parents disapproving is funny to me. You know what I didn't do yesterday or any other year for that matter....called my mother on Mother's day. I have grown up and I don't care what my parents think of me or what I do. I am no longer a child and I will never follow their advice unless I think it's good advice.

So why let your dad bother you? I feel that is kind of weak- seriously no offense. Do you secretly feel that he is right and that is why you are insecure about your collecting habit.

TO be honest, I think collecting is very weird. I have been in the process of quiting this hobby because it's insane to me to put so much thought and value into the material. I am tired of worrying about stuff all the time, like damage in the mail or if it will be stolen when I leave the house. Yeah, it's all fine and dandy that this stuff increases in value but it's kind of lame to think that is even a factor in our decision to clutter our houses. Seems we all just get caught up in the "Got to have it" mind set. This is just our form of cocaine that can be just as destructive financially and psychologically. Just my 2 cents folks. :D

:lol:lol All this talk about parents disapproving is funny to me. You know what I didn't do yesterday or any other year for that matter....called my mother on Mother's day. I have grown up and I don't care what my parents think of me or what I do. I am no longer a child and I will never follow their advice unless I think it's good advice.

So why let your dad bother you? I feel that is kind of weak- seriously no offense. Do you secretly feel that he is right and that is why you are insecure about your collecting habit.

TO be honest, I think collecting is very weird. I have been in the process of quiting this hobby because it's insane to me to put so much thought and value into the material. I am tired of worrying about stuff all the time, like damage in the mail or if it will be stolen when I leave the house. Yeah, it's all fine and dandy that this stuff increases in value but it's kind of lame to think that is even a factor in our decision to clutter our houses. Seems we all just get caught up in the "Got to have it" mind set. This is just our form of cocaine that can be just as destructive financially and psychologically. Just my 2 cents folks. :D

I like you.

:lol:lol All this talk about parents disapproving is funny to me. You know what I didn't do yesterday or any other year for that matter....called my mother on Mother's day.

:nono :nono :nono Unless your Mom is "Mommy Dearest", I have to say that's rather uncool.

I agree with you about clutter, though. I hate it.

Damn....that's cold. :lol:lol:lol:lol

my mom thinks i'm weird, but i'd have to say it runs in the family. :lol

Sorry guys if I was or am offensive. I consider MesaScott to be a good friend on here. He is very respectful and always a pleasure. I get carried away with my rants sometimes so don't mind me unless you think what I say is valid. I do talk to all my friends this way so hopefully you all can understand how I am. :peace

Back