How could Old Ben be so wrong?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's not forget that Alec Guinness was waaaaaay too old to be Ben by the time Luke (only 20) met him. But you could tell that George Lucas was flying by the seat of his pants on the writing.

He writes Star Wars... Luke and Leia together?? Sees the movie... ah, no chemistry, but Han and Leia, yeah baby.

Empire Strikes Back - tries a love triangle by Leia kissing Luke, but puts her with Han, and suddenly Darth Vader is Luke's father. Old Ben didn't know that in Star Wars. I bet my shorts on it.

Then Yoda says to ghosty Ben "No, There is another", Yeah, like Lucas had any idea he was going to make Luke and Leia brother and sister. He was leaving himself open to figure out who the heck he was gonna pick to play some random Jedi wannabe.

Return of The Jedi - Knowing he wasn't going to make any more movies after this story ended, and pondering how he could make the prequel's he probably thought making Luke and Leia brother and sister would make the audience more interested in their parents and how they met, leading up to totally disappointing the current 1984 audience with no other Jedi, just a feisty mouthed princess who suddenly got real nice through the whole movie, but finally let her hair down, got that going.

It pays to plan out an entire story arch from start to finish. Does this make me love Star Wars any less... Oh, hell to the 'No'. I will sit through the horrid dialog over and over, even the new trilogy set cause I'm a fan for life.

Kudo's to Star Trek with 10+ movies and 5 TV series and I don't know how many different writers, directors and producers, they always have their stories straight and in line with each other and they cover 200+ years of history. That's amazing.

Just my two cents.

as for the kessel run/12 parsecs thing, i thought the official explanation of that was Han was sizing them up, saying something that was impossible to see how much they knew/ how big of a pair of chumps they were. And by connection, how likely it was he could rip them off so he could pay jabba.

Granted, the REAL reason it's in there, is because George made a typo, but still.

Let's not forget that Alec Guinness was waaaaaay too old to be Ben by the time Luke (only 20) met him. But you could tell that George Lucas was flying by the seat of his pants on the writing.

He writes Star Wars... Luke and Leia together?? Sees the movie... ah, no chemistry, but Han and Leia, yeah baby.

Empire Strikes Back - tries a love triangle by Leia kissing Luke, but puts her with Han, and suddenly Darth Vader is Luke's father. Old Ben didn't know that in Star Wars. I bet my shorts on it.

Then Yoda says to ghosty Ben "No, There is another", Yeah, like Lucas had any idea he was going to make Luke and Leia brother and sister. He was leaving himself open to figure out who the heck he was gonna pick to play some random Jedi wannabe.

Return of The Jedi - Knowing he wasn't going to make any more movies after this story ended, and pondering how he could make the prequel's he probably thought making Luke and Leia brother and sister would make the audience more interested in their parents and how they met, leading up to totally disappointing the current 1984 audience with no other Jedi, just a feisty mouthed princess who suddenly got real nice through the whole movie, but finally let her hair down, got that going.

It pays to plan out an entire story arch from start to finish. Does this make me love Star Wars any less... Oh, hell to the 'No'. I will sit through the horrid dialog over and over, even the new trilogy set cause I'm a fan for life.

Kudo's to Star Trek with 10+ movies and 5 TV series and I don't know how many different writers, directors and producers, they always have their stories straight and in line with each other and they cover 200+ years of history. That's amazing.

Just my two cents.

Right. so you're simply disregarding enterprise?

Just my two cents.

I will chalk his looking older (His actual age aside) to living like a hermit on a desert world for 20 years. People who live rough in places like that look much older than they normally are.

thread already on page 21 just for ben being a liar... amazing. i wonder what would happen if the thread title is changed to "how could old georgie be so wrong?"

this entire site would implode, i'd think. :lol

Christ, the Star Wars prequels ended 6 years ago and people are STILL crying about them. :slap

thread already on page 21 just for ben being a liar... amazing. i wonder what would happen if the thread title is changed to "how could old georgie be so wrong?"

this entire site would implode, i'd think. :lol

Ben wasn't a liar, he just had a particular point of view.

i think lucas's greatest sin is not making ben a liar(which he did), it's not the creation of that abomination jar jar(which he is), it's not giving a face complete with family history to the mysterious fett(well, he's not anymore)... yeah all these stupid little things do add up and they stink, but those are trivial in the grand scheme of things. no, lucas's greatest sin is in turning one of the greatest screen icon of all time into a banta fodder. he completely neutered vader in the PT. the fact that lucas chose the worst child actor and a boyband wannabe to play the iconic role only add insult to the injury.

Christ, the Star Wars prequels ended 6 years ago and people are STILL crying about them. :slap

Yep. You are on a geek culture website. You shouldn't be surprised by discussions like this.

A better question is who forced you to read a discussion you didn't want to be a part of? Did someone force you to sit down and read this thread? If so, that person should be punished. Clearly you are here against your will. Seek help.

i think lucas's greatest sin is not making ben a liar(which he did), it's not the creation of that abomination jar jar(which he is), it's not giving a face complete with family history to the mysterious fett(well, he's not anymore)... yeah all these stupid little things do add up and they stink, but those are trivial in the grand scheme of things. no, lucas's greatest sin is in turning one of the greatest screen icon of all time into a banta fodder. he completely neutered vader in the PT. the fact that lucas chose the worst child actor and a boyband wannabe to play the iconic role only add insult to the injury.

Agreed. PT turns Vader into a weak, lovesick, misguided follower with mommy issues.

I wanted to watch Vader's rise to power. The PT is a missed opportunity to see Vader lead the conquest of the early Empire. I would have been happier to watch a movie where Anakin was simply defined as a good man and a Jedi and speed through that story to get to the good stuff. Get to the "Star Wars" parts! The first PT movie should have had the betrayal and epic saber fight. The next two films should have been Vader beginning to plot the overthrow of the emperor.

BTW - regarding TPM - it was a mistake and unfair to hang such an anticipated film on the shoulders of an inexperienced child actor. On top of him being a novice actor he was given a poorly written role. Jake Lloyd walked away from acting when he was a teen. Who could blame him? He was never going to get a fair shake.

Alec Guinness was only 62 when he was in ANH. Obi wan is late 30's in ROTS, so I don't get the Ben Kenobi is too old in ANH argument?

The problem comes from Luke's age. Luke's story in the first film (see what I did there?) is a coming of age story. Luke is meant to be 20 or 21. Ben's age would mean Luke is mid to late twenties. If Luke is 26 or 27 begging to go to school and leave the farm he suddenly becomes a pathetic and weak follower, eh.... what was I saying?

Wow guess what.. so are you and part and parcel with geek discussions like this are comments like his. Yay for us!

Oh I'm not pretending that I'm anything but a geek. I never meant to imply I was above such things.

And yes, discussion like this are going to happen for a good long time because the PT didn't deliver on the promise. Just as Indy IV dropped the ball. In many ways it would have been better to leave us to wonder what could have been than what was delivered.

Back