1/6 Hot Toys Wolf Predator 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their "dreads" were mentioned in The Predator 2018 when they noted the hunter dogs had it as well, not sure if they said if it had a purpose or not.

I don't know Predator lore very well; are the "dreads" actually supposed to be hair or something else?
1) they grow from holes in the skull, so they are not hair.
2) hair is fur used to warm the body, so something as thick and scarce cannot be hair.
they are definitely some organs of function unknown, if even still working.

Their "dreads" were mentioned in The Predator 2018 when they noted the hunter dogs had it as well, not sure if they said if it had a purpose or not.

Well they are sensors, kind of like a shark has electrical sensors in its nose ( and why hammerhead sharks heads are so wide because it has tons of these sensors to detect movement from a great distance ). The dreads are basically the same thing. It was a theory around for years but it was confirmed in The Predator. Its just they have never actually been used as a function on the creature and are just used as aesthetic. Animals have tails and whiskers for feeling around and picking up currents and stuff too. Its just an added sense of orientation i imagine to compensate for Predators having sucky eyes and of course, no ears.

It was confirmed in The Predator.

The Predator "confirmed" a lot of stupid things. I, personally, don't put much stock in anything The Predator brought to the table.

Predators having sucky eyes and of course, no ears.

Predators have ears.

er.jpg

Attachments

• er.jpg
    er.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 145
:duff

Well they are sensors, kind of like a shark has electrical sensors in its nose ( and why hammerhead sharks heads are so wide because it has tons of these sensors to detect movement from a great distance ). The dreads are basically the same thing.
:duff
though i prefer thinking they are used for communication between predators (and their tech).

Im not sure they are ears canonically, maybe just something for the suit actor to hear through for practicality and they had to design it into the suit? Or was it before some of the mini quills were inserted and thats where some of them went?

Did Predator 1, Or the AVP's or Predator's masks have these or is it specific to Predator 2 (which also had the snake tongue)? If they are actual ears thats freaky.

Im not sure they are ears canonically, maybe just something for the suit actor to hear through for practicality and they had to design it into the suit? Or was it before some of the mini quills were inserted and thats where some of them went?

Did Predator 1, Or the AVP's or Predator's masks have these or is it specific to Predator 2 (which also had the snake tongue)? If they are actual ears thats freaky.

a photo on the right is from P1 filming set.
and all P2 headmasks have same ear holes. yes, including those that didn't have to give an actor inside any hearing. or even have any significant role.
that's just part of the design by SW (RIP), and it's painted separately and specifically.

bbfXxO4.jpg

VWwXSQC.jpg

or is it specific to Predator 2 (which also had the snake tongue)
"snake tongue" is not specific to P2. again, it was there from the beginning in SW design. so it's safe to assume what a predator tongue looks like.

yuIlyha.jpg

Thanks for all the Predator anatomy knowledge!

So in other words, according to the resident "experts", the dreads are essentially whatever you want them to be based on your own head canon, because if it was indeed mentioned what purpose they serve but you happened to not like that particular installment or explanation, then you can disregard it and fabricate your own explanation that coincides with what you prefer.

a photo on the right is from P1 filming set.
and all P2 headmasks have same ear holes. yes, including those that didn't have to give an actor inside any hearing. or even have any significant role.
that's just part of the design by SW (RIP), and it's painted separately and specifically.

bbfXxO4.jpg

VWwXSQC.jpg

"snake tongue" is not specific to P2. again, it was there from the beginning in SW design. so it's safe to assume what a predator tongue looks like.

yuIlyha.jpg
Damn, this is part of the design ive never had brought to my attention before. Freaking me out! But is it safe to say they are ears? Were they ever detailed in a monster design book or anything? Because if they are, they must not be functional, they are not designed to capture sound, and they are furthermore concealed behind the dreads and quills. Snakes have ear holes like this, but they dont use them to hear. Its more sensing vibrations. So im still going with they dont have the traditional hearing, but the design is weird as hell now. Why dont i see people bringing them up being absent on hot toys heads ?!

If you can stretch your imagination to believe the dreads are sensors, I think it's not hard to believe that two holes on the sides of the head where ears are usually located are ears. We see predators hearing sound in both movies. It may not be conventional hearing, and it may be supplemented by some form of tech, but those are definitely ears.

And I guess no one brings it up re:hot toys predators because they're not even aware. They were present on the original HT City Hunter (If I remember right. I haven't had an original City Hunter in over a decade.), because the sculptor back then seemed more concerned with accuracy than Tsang. They might have been on the original P1 and Elder as well.

I'm mainly disappointed with the recycled base. But not a big deal as I got a custom one from German Beast (Dave Apro).

Attachments

• IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2928.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 130
That’s pretty nifty. I’d be more apt to put Scar or Celtic on it being that matches their armor.

Recycled base doesn’t bother me being that I never had the first Wolf anyway, but I still haven’t fully decided if I’m going to use it or not even though I try and use dio bases when I can.

If you can stretch your imagination to believe the dreads are sensors, I think it's not hard to believe that two holes on the sides of the head where ears are usually located are ears.
Well thats the the thing, we dont need to stretch our imaginations about the dreads anymore. Its canon. They are sensory organs. They were called that in the past in other media, in 2010 when Berserker was decapitated Royce cut several dreads which were also bleeding. So even in movie form we knew they wernt just hair for atleast 8 years.
It may not be conventional hearing, and it may be supplemented by some form of tech, but those are definitely ears.
I disagree. Just because a creature has two holes on the sides of its head it doesnt mean they are ears. As you stated, it may not be conventional hearing, and as i said earlier snakes have them but they are not ears. Theres been multiple times in all of the movies where Predators have had to rely heavily on the mask to hear sounds. So all though they are maybe some form of sensor on the side of the head, its not for detecting sound. Theres no cup around them to capture noise and deflect it inwards, and they are hidden behind long thick sensory organs we now know are the dreads. So they would never catch sound if thats why they are there.

Out of mere curiosity, at which part in The Predator was it mentioned that they are sensory organs? I've only seen the film once in its entirety and then parts of it subsequent that, but I didn't catch or don't recall where that was mentioned. Was it during the part where Traeger was telling that Casey Brackett about them, when they had Fugitive under sedation?

And also as far as their hearing goes, JH in P1 was able to seemingly hear when Dutch asked him "What the hell are you?", being that he mimicked it back to him. So I'm not sure they rely entirely on tech for their hearing, being that he had pretty much stripped himself of all of his tech at that point in order to fight Dutch hand to hand.

Its shortly after they take care of the 2 Predator dogs, just as they are leaving that its mentioned

Back