Hot Toys TDKR: 1/4th scale Batman [QS001] - Full Reveal & Specs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, having discussions with you is intellectually stimulating, well the thing is these are still toys whether we like it or not. No matter how accurate the likeness and realistic Enterbay's Batman sculpt is, the figure itself is still a toy. So maybe from the waist down most people are looking for an accurate toy going by the nit picks you mentioned and are not focusing on a realistic head sculpt like Enterbay's one that actually can fool people into thinking it is a real person. :dunno

First of all, I appreciate that. I'm glad I can offer you some kind of thought provoking material. Even though it's subjectively based on mere opinion. Obviously, the feeling is mutual as you not only know what you're talking about but you essentially are looking for the exact qualities I am. I just think you view things a little bit more realistically than I do. Nontheless, you're right about everything you said. The Enterbay figures, although amazing, are still toys. By definition. The price tag and craftmanship (or lack thereof sometimes) coupled with immense popularity suggests to me that they are MORE than toys. Kids play with action figures and dolls. Those are toys. Meant to entertain and maintain a childs attention. The men (and women) who purchase high end figures, design dioramas, buy cases, make stop motion videos etc. Let alone fool others, as you said, into believing that what they're looking at is a real person. While these are also meant to entertain I find that they are better at instilling a sense of awe and amazement. You're right. From the waist down [some/most] people are looking for an accurate toy. Well, i'm not even looking for one from the waist up. I'm looking for a figure thats complete from head to toe. Thus aesthetically blurring the line between what is real and what is simply a toy.

First of all, I appreciate that. I'm glad I can offer you some kind of thought provoking material. Even though it's subjectively based on mere opinion. Obviously, the feeling is mutual as you not only know what you're talking about but you essentially are looking for the exact qualities I am. I just think you view things a little bit more realistically than I do. Nontheless, you're right about everything you said. The Enterbay figures, although amazing, are still toys. By definition. The price tag and craftmanship (or lack thereof sometimes) coupled with immense popularity suggests to me that they are MORE than toys. Kids play with action figures and dolls. Those are toys. Meant to entertain and maintain a childs attention. The men (and women) who purchase high end figures, design dioramas, buy cases, make stop motion videos etc. Let alone fool others, as you said, into believing that what they're looking at is a real person. While these are also meant to entertain I find that they are better at instilling a sense of awe and amazement. You're right. From the waist down [some/most] people are looking for an accurate toy. Well, i'm not even looking for one from the waist up. I'm looking for a figure thats complete from head to toe. Thus aesthetically blurring the line between what is real and what is simply a toy.

Thanks for the compliments and I couldn't agree more with everything u said. However, I must correct my self! U see I meant to say from the neck down not the waist down that I think people are looking for an accurate toy. I slipped up there and thought I did after thinking about what I wrote so was about to correct it but you already replied.:slap

Yes you are right by definition these are toys but you are also right they are more than toys because I showed someone a picture of the Batman begins Enterbay and a picture of Christian Bale as Batman and they could not distinguish between the two. However, it seems Hot Toys sometimes does not care about likeness or realism which makes their figures just toys for most of their DX figures IMO. I say sometimes because Hot Toys Storm Shadow is quite realistic with good likeness IMO.

Yet, if I knew nothing about Hot Toys and I saw the DX12 I would think it was a kid's toy, there is nothing realistic about the head sculpt at all.

On a final note, I to am looking for an accurate figure from head to toe!

:1-1:

Thanks for the compliments and I couldn't agree more with everything u said. However, I must correct my self! U see I meant to say from the neck down not the waist down that I think people are looking for an accurate toy. I slipped up there and thought I did after thinking about what I wrote so was about to correct it but you already replied.:slap:

I somewhat suspected that but found truth in it due to the fact that I have many friends who separate and determine if they'll buy figures by looking at them from waste down to waste up. So, you weren't exactly wrong by my calculations. Maybe not necessarily the method used by the general consensus though. I understand what you meant.

Yes you are right by definition these are toys but you are also right they are more than toys because I showed someone a picture of the Batman begins Enterbay and a picture of Christian Bale as Batman and they could not distinguish between the two. However, it seems Hot Toys sometimes does not care about likeness or realism which makes their figures just toys for most of their DX figures IMO. I say sometimes because Hot Toys Storm Shadow is quite realistic with good likeness IMO.

I'm not familiar with Storm Shadow. Sounds like G.I. Joe I think. Yeah, HT gets it right every now and then and really knocks it out of the park. Bane for example. Kind of an insane figure. They nailed it with him imo. Yes, I believe the Enterbay/Bale picture leaving somebody stumpped. The likeness truly is unreal. :)

Yet, if I knew nothing about Hot Toys and I saw the DX12 I would think it was a kid's toy, there is nothing realistic about the head sculpt at all.

I can't fault you. It's not the best. It's easy for me to dismiss it here on the left picture with the HT Joker as a toy. The juxtaposition in quality is quite striking and immediately leads me to believe this is a toy or a model next to a shrunken doppleganger of Heath Ledger. In retrospect, on the right picture, it seems like something harder for me to call a toy. Much more realistic and lifelike imo. Same figure. Just a different pose and change in lighting.

Last edited:
I somewhat suspected that but found truth in it due to the fact that I have many friends who separate and determine if they'll buy figures by looking at them from waste down to waste up. So, you weren't exactly wrong by my calculations. Maybe not necessarily the method used by the general consensus though. I understand what you meant.

Ok good, thanks for clarifying that you knew what I meant to say.

I'm not familiar with Storm Shadow. Sounds like G.I. Joe I think. Yeah, HT gets it right every now and then and really knocks it out of the park. Bane for example. Kind of an insane figure. They nailed it with him imo. Yes, I believe the Enterbay/Bale picture leaving somebody stumpped. The likeness truly is unreal. :)

Yeah it is Gi Joe check the figure out when u can. I agree with the rest of the points in your statement. :wink1:

I can't fault you. It's not the best. It's easy for me to dismiss it here on the left picture with the HT Joker as a toy. The juxtaposition in quality is quite striking and immediately leads me to believe this is a toy or a model next to a shrunken doppleganger of Heath Ledger. In retrospect, on the right picture, it seems like something harder for me to call a toy. Much more realistic and lifelike imo. Same figure. Just a different pose and change in lighting.

I would agree with what you are saying there, I think that particular lighting brings out the realistic paint job on the face and makes the eyes darker and harder to see. Also the angle of the head tilted down hides those big bug eyes and makes the chin look smaller. So yes I would agree the figure looks very realistic there. :hi5:

If HT give us an accurate cowl, just like EB did, I'll be happy even if they not giving us pers.
just give us 3 cowls like EB did & I'm happy enough :yess:

If HT give us an accurate cowl, just like EB did, I'll be happy even if they not giving us pers.
just give us 3 cowls like EB did & I'm happy enough :yess:

I'd be more than happy to purge the pers system completely in exchange for having 3 accurate sculpts. Hell, i'd be willing to go without pers to have just one accurate head sculpt.

Ok good, thanks for clarifying that you knew what I meant to say.

Yeah it is Gi Joe check the figure out when u can. I agree with the rest of the points in your statement. :wink1:

I would agree with what you are saying there, I think that particular lighting brings out the realistic paint job on the face and makes the eyes darker and harder to see. Also the angle of the head tilted down hides those big bug eyes and makes the chin look smaller. So yes I would agree the figure looks very realistic there. :hi5:

It was just to show that the HT figure can look realistic. Looking at my Enterbay Bats, he looks real in any light. He just happens to look the best when it's darker. When HT gets right what EB did i'll be a happy man. Pictures attached to demonstrate my point.

That super shiny glossed headsculpt kills that cool, darkly lit shot and the pose.

That super shiny glossed headsculpt kills that cool, darkly lit shot and the pose.

Agreed. Its just to show how lighting can truly affect the figure for better or worse. Even with the light in person he looks real. I think it's mainly in the eyes and the cowl and not as much the faceplate. HT can't quite get the eyes or the cowl right so yeah.. :mad:

EB Batman is the best Batman figure ever :lol

ebbatman1.jpg

I'd say that that as far as Bale Batman head/cowl sculpts go, the Enterbay TDK Batman has the best headsculpt. Yeah, I can agree with that (though, I don't know why you lubed up your headsculpt up with vaseline).

But as far as actual whole figures go, I don't think so.

I'd say that that as far as Bale Batman head/cowl sculpts go, the Enterbay TDK Batman has the best headsculpt. Yeah, I can agree with that (though, I don't know why you lubed up your headsculpt up with vaseline).

Do you think there is a better Batman figure? which one? :dunno

It was just to show that the HT figure can look realistic. Looking at my Enterbay Bats, he looks real in any light. He just happens to look the best when it's darker. When HT gets right what EB did i'll be a happy man. Pictures attached to demonstrate my point.

Yeah I understood what you meant. :wink1:

I agree in both pics it looks real here.

Yeah :(

Agreed. Its just to show how lighting can truly affect the figure for better or worse. Even with the light in person he looks real.I think it's mainly in the eyes and the cowl and not as much the faceplate. HT can't quite get the eyes or the cowl right so yeah.. :mad:

The face plates are pretty bad to, which is why there are so many people wanting Robbie's or Hunter's one. That being said, having smaller eyes like the MMS71 Batman cowl still looks a lot better than the DX12, despite that the jaw is a lot worse on that one and cowl shape is way off to. :thud:

You do make a good point though, because I would happy if this Batman looked like DC directs TDKR statue because even though it doesn't look like Bale it doesn't look strange looking with bug eyes like the DX12 does.

Last edited:

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl I gotcha but I didn't lube up my sculpt with vaseline.. It's naturally that shiny under heavy light. However, aside from the belt not fitting and needing modification, it's the most complete Batman figure I can think of. I'd like to know what figure is more complete in your opinion.

The face plates are pretty bad to, which is why there are so many people wanting Robbie's or Hunter's one. That being said, having smaller eyes like the MMS71 Batman cowl still looks a lot better than the DX12, despite that the jaw is a lot worse on that one and cowl shape is way off to. :thud:

You do make a good point though, because I would happy if this Batman looked like DC directs TDKR statue because even though it doesn't look like Bale it doesn't look strange looking with bug eyes like the DX12 does.

I'll have to check out Robbie and Hunters face plates. It's just pathetic that HT refuses to get everything right but instead picks and chooses (so it seems) to only get certain aspects correct.

Yes, i'd certainly rather look at a figure that is more statue like with well done eyes and cowl with little to no representation of Bale than to have one that looks similar to him with bug eyes and a cowl that is way off.

Back