Hot Toys Superman (1978 film version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot Toys Superman

Given the NECA, Mezco and McFarlane kiddie garbage retails for $20-$30, $60 for that Superman isn't bad at all.

The NECA Robocop retailed for 40-50 dollars I believe and it kicks the ____ out of this. The NECA 12" Arnold are about $20 at TRU and FYE, and they're much nicer.

Other than that though, I'm not going to defend NECA or McFarlane (especially McFarlane). Their products 90% of the time break with little to no force. They're chintzy, brittle pieces of crap. It's a shame too, because the sculpts are pretty damn good. Once they go through that mass production stage, gold turns to ____.

If anything though, Mattel is kiddie garbage. Superman doesn't look on par with their attempts on Zod and the Ghostbusters. I like the box, the accessories, and I think under that gloss of crappy paint is a decent headsculpt but other than that, Matty can ____ himself with his horrible site and bad customer service. Ain't worth 60 bucks.

Figure wise it's not worth it either. Their ____ing figures deteriorate MONTHS (probably all that toxic paint and plastic they use) after opening them and they too have major quality control issues. They can stick with MOTU, Barbie and Hot Wheels, it's the only thing they're good at.

Have to agree that for the price its a good figure... not high-end, but decent enough. Still, with HT on the case no need to settle.

What's all this -2 days stuff and so on?

Have HT confirmed when they will be showing this?

I won't touch the 3 3/4 anymore because of the price creep. I can have a dozen Star Wars figures or one Sideshow/HT. Easy decision.

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Let the HT look superior on it's own merits. There's no need to ____ talk a mass market $60 Mattel 12" figure to pedestal HT's eventual release.

Agree.

The only thing we have to worry about is if the Mattel version turns out to be better than Hot Toys :thud:

Minus the boot the suit could actually pretty decent for a kit bash. Put that on a TT Advanced with a custom head sculpt.

Mattel's looks as if he has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

I was digging out some Santa ornaments stashed away from the past 15 - 20 years or so and chuckled when I thought the boots looked very similar.

If you put the suit on a smaller body it seems like it would be loose fitting because of the way mattel tried to make him look "muscular":lol

It's really all about how you pose the figure. The images on TNI are pretty poorly posed.
Check TheFwoosh's look:
https://thefwoosh.com/2010/12/first-look-mattels-christopher-reeve-superman

I don't know about you, but that is worth $60 to me. Toys are just pricey these days anyways, obviously this feels like it might be more of a $30-$40 maybe. But I'd say its not as bad as the TNI photos.
I'm just excited to get a decent Reeve Superman before Hot Toys version comes out.

I'm not doing anything until HT announces. I want to like their figure. I also am convinced even if HT misses the mark there's going to be half a dozen sculpts in response to the demand. One way or another I will have a CR Superman next year.

It will be interesting to see someone do a figure in hand review the Mattel with an eye toward the costume.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back