1/6 Hot Toys Stormtroopers Deluxe Version MMS514/515

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the ANH one is completely different.

View attachment 699485

I also have the original RotJ one. If this is the same as the one I have then I may not get it
View attachment 699486

Seems we posted at the same time.
So it seems Hot Toys actually sculpted a new helmet for the ROTJ figure, that fewer people like it seems to me, and then re-released that version now? Ugh... they need to re-release the ANH version.

Sean

ROTJ wtf :slap where is our updated ANH!
Wait, you can tell the difference between ANH, ESB and ROTJ stormtrooper outfits?

IMG_3648.gif

:chase

Seems we posted at the same time.
So it seems Hot Toys actually sculpted a new helmet for the ROTJ figure, that fewer people like it seems to me, and then re-released that version now? Ugh... they need to re-release the ANH version.

Sean
The gapping in the armor is different between the two as well. The RotJ one can move a bit better. I dunno if fewer people like the RotJ one, I like both of them, maybe the wonkier looking one a bit more because the movie props were low budget wonky and it looks funny😂

Get two, add some more weathering, brown spots, a black pauldron from any custom supplier, and a backpack (custom) and you have yourself a pair of ANH SE sandtroopers. IMO great addition to the ANH dunes of Tatooine display, now when we’re getting a Dewback and lieutenant.

Here’s a picture of my ROTJ with custom pauldron:
View attachment 699452

WTF is wrong with this cr*p, sold out already? Get us more stock!
I did the same with one of mine, Shock Trooper backpack works great for that purpose.

One big difference I always think of is that the inner corners of the eyes are more rounded on the ESB and later helmets. The sharp point makes the ANH helmets look a bit more menacing I think. Also they are a bit more…”droopy” after ANH, for lack of a better term. The HT ANH helmets are a little oversized but I always preferred them to the ROTJ helmets.

IMG_1975.jpeg
IMG_1976.jpeg

Last edited:
One big difference I always think of is that the inner corners of the eyes are more rounded on the ESB and later helmets. The sharp point makes the ANH helmets look a bit more menacing I think. Also they are a bit more…”droopy” after ANH, for lack of a better term. The HT ANH helmets are a little oversized but I always preferred them to the ROTJ helmets.

View attachment 699497View attachment 699498
The closest Hot Toys have ever come to an accurate helmet is the Disney-trooper, Rogue One style bucket -- and even that isn't quite right, maybe lost something when scaled down.

Their OT buckets are all wildly inaccurate. The Sandtrooper helmet captures the overall vibe of the helmet better than the others but is still all kinds of wrong.

The closest Hot Toys have ever come to an accurate helmet is the Disney-trooper, Rogue One style bucket -- and even that isn't quite right, maybe lost something when scaled down.

Their OT buckets are all wildly inaccurate. The Sandtrooper helmet captures the overall vibe of the helmet better than the others but is still all kinds of wrong.
Yeah in figure form the Disney/RO helmets are definitely my favorite. I’ve been hoping they will do a tweaked 2.0 version of the ANH figures rather than a straight rerelease, fixing some of the proportions, though it seems unlikely at this point since they didn’t really change anything about the armor for the recent dewback trooper. I do still prefer the ANH helmets to these ROTJ ones though.

This to me is the main issue with the two HT stormie helmet sculpts - where the two sculpts actually reverse the dimension inaccuracy - even though both are beautifully finished otherwise.

The inaccuracy to me gives the HT ANH a bit of a Jay Leno chin, and the HT ROTJ has a "big nose" look - too much white in the middle of the face - that's made a bit worse by a too-narrow black mouth.

But so glad the price on this reissue actually went down a touch because I hesitated last time due to price being a tad high and regretted, but glad I did.

STORMIES.png

Last edited:
ESB and ANH are the same suit/costume/nerdiness aside from its gauntlets. The ESB has the same gauntlets as the snowtrooper, these were transferred over to ROTJ.

ROTJ has a completely new set of armour compared to its precursors. Due to its moulding process, the armour is wonky and each stormtrooper seen on screen look different whereas they were more uniform in ESB and ANH.

1713944226851.png
1713944241976.png

ANH
1713944415520.png

1713944441042.png

ESB (Major differences: 'Mouth' line is now painted black, holster is changed side from left to right and gauntlets have changed to the Snowtrooper type (since the old sets were deteriorating))
1713944511031.png
1713944523639.png

Really glad to see this, since I still don't have a standard Stormtrooper and was just starting to consider getting the Mando commander and removing the orange shoulder, even though the non-matching nameplate would've bugged me so much.
I got the Mando commander last year and did exactly that. I'm not really bothered about the nameplate, but I am by that squat looking helmet. There's something really off about these Rogue One type helmets, like they're too flat in the face or something. I'm very happy to see these reissued. While still not as good as ANH, they're a lot better than the RO and later buckets.

Interesting what different people see; I can't look at the HT ROTJ buckets without being triggered. :LOL:
I get triggered looking at the modern, post Rogue 1 Stormtrooper helmets more than anything. I ended up selling all my Rogue 1 Stormtroopers because their helmets were so flattened (plus they also seemed far less posable than other Stormtroopers like the Jump Trooper).

I see blogger photos on Hot Toys FB page. Anyone know if this actually available in HK or sold at the Darkside event?

I see blogger photos on Hot Toys FB page. Anyone know if this actually available in HK or sold at the Darkside event?

Maybe the blogger photos are the ones from the first time this was released?

From the Hot Toys Secret Base Facebook page:

【Star Wars: Power of Darkness 期間limited time • 3 <In stock > 1:6 scale collection figures must be bought at the venue! 】
Hot Toys will be hosting the 《Star Wars: Dark Forces 》 themed exhibition and limited-time store from April 27 to June 2 in the center of Taikoo Shing, creating a large-scale movie-level set installation, and showcasing the world's first exposure of the very true Star Wars 1:6 scale collection, bringing a stunning Dark Side visual feast! Today, we are announcing three 1:6 scale collection figures available at the venue. Limited quantities are available while stock lasts. As a Star Wars fan, don't miss it!
📌
Sale details:
1. 1. [Limited stock 350 sets] 0-0-0TM1:6 proportional alloy collection doll HK$ 1,830
2. The [Limited stock 500 sets] Commander CodyTM (silver cable version) 1:6 scale collection figure HK$ 1,680
350 sets on sale starting April 26 (Member Priority Preview Day)
150 sets on sale starting April 27
3. 3. [StormtrooperTM Death Star Scenario 1:6 Ratio Collector's doll set HK$ 1,490 (with member discount)
----------------------------------------
📍
Place of sale:
🔴
Hot Toys "Star Wars: Power of Darkness" themed exhibition and limited-time store (Taikoo Shing Centre 2/F Atrium & Midbridge)
----------------------------------------
🗓
Release date:
April 26 (Friday) - Member priority preview day
27th April (Saturday) - Public sale

Back