1/6 Hot Toys Stormtroopers Deluxe Version MMS514/515

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to insult me you need to use a cultural reference that I can understand. I'm English, generation X. Same goes for the guy who posted the Will Ferrel gif.

Otherwise just use words.

Sorry the Will ferrell gif is from a movie from eight years ago. Will stick to references understandable to English Gen Xers only.

EachSeparateDavidstiger-size_restricted.gif

I don't think anyone has mentioned a potential Hot Toys TIE fighter pilot. It's just as iconic (if not more) as the Scout trooper. I ended up selling my SS one. It was just so out of place. From the sparkly buckle, the super thin waist, cheap soft sculpted helmet and plastic boots..it belonged in 2008. Even though I like the Scout trooper more; we seriously need a HT upgrade of this guy.

The SSC pIlot can look decent on a better body and with more accurate hands. I do think SSC has seriously dropped the ball on troopers in the last few years though. The Scout and ATAT driver helmet sculpts were noticeably off, even if both were decent enough figures.

Pduw1mV.jpg

Imo all SS SW troopers are at least decent. I'm super happy with Tie pilot, AT-AT driver and Snowtrooper Commander. My only issue with them are one piece molded boots, it's too restrictive about posing.

Imo all SS SW troopers are at least decent. I'm super happy with Tie pilot, AT-AT driver and Snowtrooper Commander. My only issue with them are one piece molded boots, it's too restrictive about posing.

Yeah I thought the Snowie Commander was a nice effort that was sort of unfairly criticized because the HT one disappeared.

Yeah I thought the Snowie Commander was a nice effort that was sort of unfairly criticized because the HT one disappeared.

It was quite fairly criticized because people compared the SSC and HT versions. But the SSC AT-AT Driver and TIE Pilot are cool figures though

It was quite fairly criticized because people compared the SSC and HT versions.

People dumped on it even after they fixed the helmet sculpt. And the HT Gunner wasn't great either and got none of the hate.:dunno

The SSC Snowie Commdr helmet sculpt is closer to screen accurate than the HT stormie, though I hate that they reused the ATAT driver gloves (which are bad) and the wonky SSC chest armor. And yeah, the holster was lame.

People dumped on it even after they fixed the helmet sculpt. And the HT Gunner wasn't great either and got none of the hate.:dunno

The SSC Snowie Commdr helmet sculpt is closer to screen accurate than the HT stormie, though I hate that they reused the ATAT driver gloves (which are bad) and the wonky SSC chest armor. And yeah, the holster was lame.

The HT Gunner didn't have a comparison piece. I easily passed on the SSC Snow Commander its accuracy is way below of what I wanted. BTW I still have 4 HT ANH Stormtroopers, no matter how accurate they are or not, they still are better than SSC's offering.

I bought it because I didn't want my Snowtroopers to be without a commander. To be fair Sideshow did put in some effort to make it a decent figure, especially compared to the first rough prototype they showed. They really set themselves up for failure showing that unfinished thing on the heels of the beautiful proto Hot Toys teased. I guess I'm glad I have it but it does easily come up short of the HT proto that I hope someday miraculously goes up for pre-order.

Agreed, I think most people prefer the ESB/ANH helmet.

It looks like the grey teeth are here to stay since the RO Stormtrooper appears to be the go to design going forward, even for something like The Mandalorian which is post RotJ. Since they already have the suits built and all, and most people won't notice the difference.

The HT Gunner didn't have a comparison piece. I easily passed on the SSC Snow Commander its accuracy is way below of what I wanted. BTW I still have 4 HT ANH Stormtroopers, no matter how accurate they are or not, they still are better than SSC's offering.

For me, troopers are all about the helmet sculpt, and HT undoubtedly dropped the ball on their stormie (the snowie was a bullesye.) You can argue about armor sculpts but if you miss the boat on the helmet sculpt on a SW trooper, you miss the boat in my book. The body quality and armor on the HT stormie is stellar, but I've spent years trying to swap out or mod helmets for my HT stormies and sandies.

The hours I spent trying to fix/mod that sandie helmet... arrrgh... I gave up on the stormie and just used the Marmit Sandie helmet which, while a somewhat soft (vinyl) sculpt and some inaccuracies (chin and decals,) at a glance looks kind of like the hero ANH helmet. Way more than the HT sculpt.

For me as a customizer, I can tweak stuff like armor and body on the Snowie Commander but the helmet has to be solid, and close to screen accurate. While the thickness of the flare and the curve of cowl are a bit off, overall the helmet is close to screen accurate. Would I have preferred the HT to be released? Obvioulsy - anyone would, but it doesn't mean the SSC helmet sculpt isn't close to accurate.

And the HT gunner is "empirically" crappy - with an undersized helmet, goofy/skeletal Vader V1 hands, easy-tear pleather tunic (that was in theory designed to be removable...,) a very sub-par jumpsuit cut/sew (compare it side-by-side to the SSC TIE jumpsuit - no comparison whatsoever, even though the SSC jumpsuits do flare at the thigh pockets too much) and the single most inaccurate rendition of a SW blaster since Hasbro's final 12" days; based on a nerf gun cosplayers use. It doesn't need a comparison piece with that list.

That's a first. I have never heard this from anyone in my life.

I actually think the very best look for stormies is the ESB look - which is cleaner versions of the ANH look with black mouth/teeth. I like that look even more than the stunt ANH look. I still have a nostaligic soft spot for the ROTJ stormie look, even if ROTJ stormies are almost laughably wonky-looking from head to toe. It was like literally everything went wrong when they tried to mass produce stormies.

Yikes. Have the standard versions sold out?

Listings have disappeared off Sideshow and BBTS. Guess I took too long to decide on this one :slap.

The more I look at these, the more they resemble the Rogue One stormies. They are a sort of hybrid of ROTJ and RO.

It's an amazing price though - who would have believed a SW 1/6 fig below $200 in 2018?

The more I look at these, the more they resemble the Rogue One stormies. They are a sort of hybrid of ROTJ and RO.

It's an amazing price though - who would have believed a SW 1/6 fig below $200 in 2018?

Yeah how many times have we counted out seeing anything below $200 anymore (from Hot Toys anyway.) Interesting the Royal Guards are $15 more. Maybe because of the fabric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered 3 from Timewalker for just under $550 shipped :yess:

I actually think the very best look for stormies is the ESB look - which is cleaner versions of the ANH look with black mouth/teeth. I like that look even more than the stunt ANH look.

My fav will always be the original. My fav stormie as a kid was the one who greets the scanning crew -- he looked mean on screen and sounded cool to me. You know, when you're young you have to pick your favorite of everything.

I still have a nostaligic soft spot for the ROTJ stormie look, even if ROTJ stormies are almost laughably wonky-looking from head to toe. It was like literally everything went wrong when they tried to mass produce stormies.

:lol

I have many issues with ROTJ and the knock-off quality of the once menacing stormtroopers is one of them. But something strange inside me wants one goofball 'Jedi'-trooper just to have in the back as a gag. He'd be the "can I play too" trooper.

Back