1/6 Hot Toys - Star Wars - Stormtroopers photos by [JingoBell]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great photos Jingo, I'll always take funny pictures over 'heroic poses'.

Is there any chance you could put a Hot Toys Bespin Luke head on the shorter stormtrooper to see how it looks? Thank you.

Please let sideshow get there's this early too!!!!! Would definitely take the load off in August since all of the age of ultron stuff is supposed to hit then too

Are there any Japanese based websites that have these in stock that'll ship to the U.S?

These turned out much better than I had hoped. Nice pics.

I haven't pre-ordered these yet, but the pics do look very nice.
One thing's for sure, I'm convinced that I won't be getting the short one.

Wow, I just checked the date on these at Sideshow... August 2015 :huh
At the same time though the Shadow Trooper should arrive any time now so it isn't too surprising since its just a repaint. Hot Toys probably had a bunch ready and maybe they thought they needed more time depending if they had a bunch of orders to fill. I'm sure most people are buying one or two, maybe three at most. At Hot Toys prices they aren't army builders for most people.

Boy, Id love to have one but I don't have the dough. :(

Story of my life right now.. can't even play catch up. :(

Try doing some customs using Hasbro (or anything cheap on eBay) bits or casting anything you have. I made a Vader and Stormie for an out-of-pocket of $30 or so, and you can get a few parted bits from the SSC or HT versions to make yours look a bit better. They definitely ain't Hot Toys quality, but they look good enough to display among HT and SSC figures (well, in a "toward the back" kind of way:lol) A few years ago, I'd never done a custom fig before, now I've got a bunch and more in process - it becomes more fun than actually buying one. And it's cheap!

Try doing some customs using Hasbro (or anything cheap on eBay) bits or casting anything you have. I made a Vader and Stormie for an out-of-pocket of $30 or so, and you can get a few parted bits from the SSC or HT versions to make yours look a bit better. They definitely ain't Hot Toys quality, but they look good enough to display among HT and SSC figures (well, in a "toward the back" kind of way:lol) A few years ago, I'd never done a custom fig before, now I've got a bunch and more in process - it becomes more fun than actually buying one. And it's cheap!

That's a great post right there and great advice for people who'd love to own this stuff but can't afford the dough. I've got a Hasbro 12" Tauntaun sitting in the back room, a Hasbro Hoth Luke on the way and a custom HT head Luke head coming from China, knock off slim truetype and what I'll have won't compare to a Sideshow Hoth Luke on a Sideshow Tauntaun... but it'll cost a fifth of the price and be a whole lot more fun. I bet what you say about kit bashing a stormy is true and what you'll end up with won't look too far off something that costs five times as much.

Yeah, I'm getting into the customizing head space more & more now. Researching parts & what works with what etc. I still want to buy certain figures, but totally - what you guys said. I'm planning a few general customs as we speak, & Vader might be one of them at some stage, seeing that the HT one just doesn't really cut it either.

I know you guys have seen these before (and sorry to hijack the thread for a moment,) but for anyone else, these are the two figs I mentioned... pretty much all Hasbro (stormie is cast Marmit head though - crucial) and cost me essentially nothing but time. They don't compare to the customs you see that use expensive figures as the base (like the $250 SSC Vader etc,) or the straight-out-box masterpieces like HT stormies are, but they are totally fine from normal viewing distance. I'm making a Boba Fett and others like this just for fun. But you save thousands in the end and still have a "sort of cool" collection.

dov5f6.jpg

hasbro%20vader%20reboot-X2.png

I know you guys have seen these before (and sorry to hijack the thread for a moment,) but for anyone else, these are the two figs I mentioned... pretty much all Hasbro (stormie is cast Marmit head though - crucial) and cost me essentially nothing but time. They don't compare to the customs you see that use expensive figures as the base (like the $250 SSC Vader etc,) or the straight-out-box masterpieces like HT stormies are, but they are totally fine from normal viewing distance. I'm making a Boba Fett and others like this just for fun. But you save thousands in the end and still have a "sort of cool" collection.

It's probably more fun and rewarding too than just opening a box and moving on to the next 'want'. I love customizing/bashing.

It's probably more fun and rewarding too than just opening a box and moving on to the next 'want'. I love customizing/bashing.

It truly is a lot of fun, but boxed figure prices have taken such a huge leap ahead in the past year or two that I worry a surprising percentage of 1/6 collectors have been priced out of the hobby going forward (some just don't fully know it yet, because all that exists so far are announcements, pics and P.O.'s.) If there are tricks/recipes/techniques that people can share, it can be a way for people to keep building a collection without paying the huge price - you buy a few of those $$$ items, but offset it with a few customs. I do think customizing connects you to the source material better also - the very thing that draws people in the first place.

dov5f6.jpg

hasbro%20vader%20reboot-X2.png

I haven't seen those! They looks great for some customized figures on the cheap. Well done! I especially like the Stormie. Looking forward to what you do with Fett :) I must tell you , I think the Hasbro Fett is actually rather nice and I've seen people do great things with it. I loved my Medi/SSC Fett. I had so sell him though to fund my new Vader project. I'll have three Vaders then! Funny, I never wanted two Vaders let alone three. :lol It's just how this worked out.

It absolutely is. That's why I'm becoming more and more of a collector of WWII figures. The 1/6 WWII culture leans much more towards kitbashing/customizing etc. than the movie/pop culture collecting. Sure there are tons of customizers/kitbashers here too but the WWII guys are almost exclusively so. Almost all my figures have been modified in one way or another by myself. I get the most joy out of weathering,tailoring,deconstructing etc out of that than anything else in the hobby.

With a body with a little wider shoulders and hips, that stormie would be painfully close to a SSC trooper albeit with a better helmet and codpiece.

As a background trooper I could easily hide 5-10 of them in a crowd on a shelf somewhere, well done.

Well. I hate to say it, but this gallery is making me seriously consider cancelling.

They look well-rendered and all, but...almost too perfect and shiny. And no offense to jingobell, but while they are well-photographed, I kept hearing bouncy techno music in my head flipping through these pics...like they were stills from some whacky dance routine video or something.

Maybe it's just SW fatigue settling in but...
...I hope those getting these really end up enjoying them. Think I'm gonna take a pass.

Well. I hate to say it, but this gallery is making me seriously consider cancelling.

They look well-rendered and all, but...almost too perfect and shiny. And no offense to jingobell, but while they are well-photographed, I kept hearing bouncy techno music in my head flipping through these pics...like they were stills from some whacky dance routine video or something.

Maybe it's just SW fatigue settling in but...
...I hope those getting these really end up enjoying them. Think I'm gonna take a pass.

Always refreshing to read someone expressing their honest opinion!

Obviously, if you'd said this about Sideshow figures this would be happening... :chase

some folks on ebay selling these as in hand. I thought we had a while to go?

Back