1/6 Hot Toys - Solo: A Star Wars Story - HAN SOLO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming after Infinity War and Deadpool 2 is a hard act to follow. I know the guys in my movie group even had a bit of movie fatigue and weren't interested in Solo. So I wouldn't be surprised if the average movie-goer would also decide "maybe not" for this one. Especially if the reviews are only so-so.

Sigh, found the movie pretty disappointing myself. I thought Alden did a really good job as Han, but unfortunately he was stuck in a rather dull and pedestrian story that wasn't nearly as much fun as it should have been. And while there were a few clever ideas in there, most of the pieces of his backstory seemed to fall into place way too quickly and conveniently for my taste.

I've never been as in love with Rogue One as others here, but I still thought that movie worked a lot better than this one. And I have no desire to pick up any figures from it now.

Sigh, found the movie pretty disappointing myself. I thought Alden did a really good job as Han, but unfortunately he was stuck in a rather dull and pedestrian story that wasn't nearly as much fun as it should have been. And while there were a few nice ideas in there, most of the pieces of his backstory seemed to fall into place way too quickly and conveniently for my taste.

I've never been as in love with Rogue One as others in here, but I still thought that movie worked a lot better than this one. And I have no desire to pick up any figures from it now.

Yep, pretty much my sentiments as well. Pedestrian story which only skimmed the surface.

If they'd just gone deeper at a few points and spiced some things up a bit it would have been a lot better. It's that last 5% polish and attention to detail in the script which makes the difference imo. Maybe it was just too "in-house" Kasdan. Sometimes you need someone external to say what they really think. Been there done that with Lucas and the PT.

But, given the director issues/timing they didn't have time to make any re-shoot script changes unfortunately. Ron Howard mentioned they didn't even have any test-screenings.

I'd say HT will only do the bare minimum for figures here.

I really enjoyed it...it was fun and didn't bore me like that awful cringy TLJ mess...i'd place it up there with R1 as the best since the OT.....sure there's lots not to like but the good outweighs the bad...loved Chewie and Ehrenreich does a great turn at capturing the spirit and essence of a young cocksure Solo...These guys alone deserve another outing...or two..
I'll be picking up the deluxe:)

People at my theater kept walking right past the door for Solo and walking right into Deadpool. Yikes

People at my theater kept walking right past the door for Solo and walking right into Deadpool. Yikes

Even though I'm a Star Wars fan, Deadpool is the better movie imo. But OK very different characters and movies.

As I mentioned above though, interestingly enough Star Wars being third in line can't be working out so well.

Watch them move back to that December time slot I bet !

Old Han, young Han.... I really feel no need to have anything but the genuine 1977 pairing.

Figure wise the Old Han is still one of the best one’s I own, but understand this mentality.

How many Solo fans will buy this and chuck the Alden sculpt...:lol

Then replace the head with a Ford sculpt? Let's see what those HT Han heads go for now.

I could see myself picking up this figure only to put a Ford sculpt on it. I dig the deluxe look, kind of crazy and unique looking, but it’s a lot to pay for an EU Ford Solo figure.

You know, I've always tossed around that Ingruber got to pick somewhere behind the scenes whether he wanted to be Indy or Han - and he picked Indy, hence why we got Alden instead. But all of that is of course deep under wraps and such.

He’s got the look, too bad he probably just can’t act.

*DioramaMaker jolts awake from his vivid yet sad dream*

:lol

They'll keep making them because they make money. There is no lightning in Rogue One except that somehow it was generally well received by fans, but fans are not where the big money is.
And I liked Solo way more than R1.

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

Not sure I follow the thinking here about the lightning in a bottle — pretty sure Rogue One did really well, was popular among fans, and this movie is not going to based on the opening weekend numbers, audience scores, and level of interest. I had empty seats next to me at the theatre at a 9:30 showing in a small theatre.

This had a bit of the gritty look that Rogue One had, but that movie is more a Star Wars movie in the classical sense, as were the sequels — you see the bad guys from their perspective, good guys from theirs, has a larger scale conflict.

This didn’t feel quite like Star Wars movies we’ve come to know in that way, but more like a SW television show in comparison, which is fine as it was focused on a single character mostly but it did make it feel small. Reminds of the difference between a single member of the Avengers’s movie vs an actual Avengers movie.

I enjoyed the movie enough but I didn’t really feel that this Solo was the same as Ford’s in any way. Glover was a bit more convincing as Lando but that character is less nuanced in general. The main issue is that this movie was clearly not written to be a stand alone movie. I find that problematic as I’m not sure they’ll feel there’s enough interest to do one. Don’t know that it needs a trilogy but it could certainly use one sequel to move the character forward. Don’t feel anything that happened in this movie changed him.

I don’t know how many figures we’ll be getting with it really underperforming at the box office. Initial predictions were set at $170 million, but now that’s changed to $110-115 million (super low for a SW movie!) as the opening day turned in a lot less viewers than expected. It seems there’s not much interest. And that’s the 4 day memorial weekend total at that, instead of the usual 3 (which is tracking to 90mil)

Critic review scores are not great and audience scores are even lower... hope for the best but expect the worst in this case. Could be very likely Han will be all that comes out.

I agree unless HT gets lazy and just reissues Chewy, too with googles. Really shocking how poor this is doing at the box office

It looked good and tbh I enjoyed it. But is hours later I feel no desire to see it again. As others have said the story seemed weak and whilst there were great bits the whole was weak.
Lando was great. Han was better than I thought he would be
Wanted more military han and more of han and chewie bonding.

I really enjoyed this movie.

Too bad all we're going to get from it is young Han.

Not much else to be made really. The leads are all fairly uninteresting looking as figures. I don't want a Beckett or Qi-ra, even though I enjoyed them. And the troopers are barely in it and, in a way, not even real troopers. The sore spot for me is no good villains in this story.

So who the heck would HT make even if this movie did well on its run? If they didn't make Cassian or Baze, they won't make Beckett, Val or Qi-ra who are designed even less interesting.

That said, I kind of want young Han. I liked Alden.

It looked good and tbh I enjoyed it. But is hours later I feel no desire to see it again. As others have said the story seemed weak and whilst there were great bits the whole was weak.
Lando was great. Han was better than I thought he would be
Wanted more military han and more of han and chewie bonding.

:exactly:

That pretty much sums it up for me. Did like it, loved a few parts but overall was a bit underwhelming.

Special call-out to Alden though - he was better than I expected, great in some scenes. Conversely, after hearing the buzz, I was ever-so-slightly underwhelmed with Glover, but he was still good. Maybe my view is distorted by that so-silly stuff about his robot.

I really liked Han in the Imperial battle uniform - I'd probably grab that if HT does it over his regular suede jacket look. I always liked the Veers look and it got some good screen time in Solo. I really loved the Han/Chewy meeting too (in that uniform.)

I just don’t know what people wanted. What did you all expect from a Han Solo movie? It expanded upon some of the stuff that Han and Lando talked about. What else do you want. It was never gonna be the original trilogy quality or some big summer blockbuster. If you didn’t like it, fine. But stop acting like the film makers had some personal vendetta against you.

dd7a88b7bdbaf8cc393273b2ebaf2568.jpg

Can someone explain this to me? What's with the "soy"? Been meaning to ask this for a while.

Pre-ordered the deluxe a couple of days ago. Really liked the movie. It had its problems but overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Good stuff. And this one is really re-watchable for me so I'm sure i'll just like it more and more.

Back