1/6 Hot Toys - Solo: A Star Wars Story - HAN SOLO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solo was a really solid movie and Alden was actually really great as a young Solo. I will definitely be picking up this figure.

I thought Solo was a lot of fun, but didn't really add much. Overall, it was very predictable and basically exactly what you'd expect. Lots of nostalgia, references, nothing extremely new. I enjoyed it the same way I did Deadpool 2. A lot of fun, but it's more like a Disneyland ride of Star Wars than a great film to me. It didn't really leave me with any moments that I thought were big additions to the story or anything really "epic". Biggest offender honestly was the soundtrack. Ouch. Any time there was a reference they had a cheesy cue. They have to work a bit more to with the soundtracks on these standalone movies.

Here's some positive stuff after my bitching:

I liked Qira much more than I expected to.

Alden IMO was great. Glover was great.

Really enjoyed Enfys Nest. Way, way more than I expected. I had heard about her role prior to seeing it and thought "Oh good, another Phasma". She's much better in the film.

Han/Chewie dynamic was very sweet in this film and I thought it's probably Chewie's best movie overall.

I'd definitely see a sequel if they made one, especially if it includes the planet a certain someone name dropped.

I'm in the camp that liked TLJ though, so what do I know :rotfl

What is they likely hood we will get Enfys Nest

I kinda hope we do now actually. I liked the design but thought the character was going to suck. After seeing the movie, I like both. Kinda hoping we get a comic series or something of the Cloudrider gang.

I hope someone bootlegs the 1/6 gold dice. That's all I need.

ea8bc1a9ea7a3f5f32120d18_1260x1630.jpg

I know what I like, and it's what got me hooked in the first place: the OT. So I deviate towards those stories and that period.

But I'm willing to see what good there is in the PT and the ST, even though I consider the PT to be the least likeable in the series.

After watching Solo I can't explain why viewers who actually like Star Wars have such animosity towards it. It's like looking for excuses to dislike it, or exaggerating moments and twisting them until they become some huge offensive issue.

Every film is a journey. And every journey isn't going to go exactly as you want it to. You're on board for the ride, so go with it and see where it takes you. TLJ, for instance, went on a very strange journey, and took some strange decisions. But there's still good in it if you're willing to submit to the journey.

I love the OT as well, and agree that a film is a journey. However, Solo undermines the journey in completely disregarding Han's character arc. Much like TLJ, Solo has very littel regard for how the protagonist is portrayed chronologically in relation to the OT. Solo should have been portrayed as consistently selfish, without a hint of altruism. Instead, we get a film about how Solo is secretly altruistic, even in the face of absurd, on the nose advice to the contrary. Sure, he'll risk his life breaking the law, but in the end he'll throw everything away for the greater good, because he's a swell guy?

If you do that, it undermines his entire arc throughout the OT. Han should put himself before everyone else, except for Chewy perhaps. That's the only way the OT makes any sense. Meanwhile, you could easily build an entire film around how Han's only loyalty is toward a walking carpet. I'd care far more about that peculiarity, than how he got his last name, the dice on his dashboard, how he scored his pistol... The film was preoccupied with every mundane detail within Han's backstory, while completely disregarding everything within Han's character that made him popular in the first place.

It was a bad film. This figure is an easy pass, for me.

I love the OT as well, and agree that a film is a journey. However, Solo undermines the journey in completely disregarding Han's character arc. Much like TLJ, Solo has very littel regard for how the protagonist is portrayed chronologically in relation to the OT. Solo should have been portrayed as consistently selfish, without a hint of altruism. Instead, we get a film about how Solo is secretly altruistic, even in the face of absurd, on the nose advice to the contrary. Sure, he'll risk his life breaking the law, but in the end he'll throw everything away for the greater good, because he's a swell guy?

If you do that, it undermines his entire arc throughout the OT. Han should put himself before everyone else, except for Chewy perhaps. That's the only way the OT makes any sense. Meanwhile, you could easily build an entire film around how Han's only loyalty is toward a walking carpet. I'd care far more about that peculiarity, than how he got his last name, the dice on his dashboard, how he scored his pistol... The film was preoccupied with every mundane detail within Han's backstory, while completely disregarding everything within Han's character that made him popular in the first place.

:goodpost:

Personally I enjoyed the movie but I agree with your opinon and sentiments in that yeah, it is kind of a spit it in the face of an OT character lore (once again). But it's kind of pointless calling things like this out when we knew this movie would be nothing but referencing or telling origin stories about anything Han Solo.

I was optimistic when I heard that Kasdan was writing the script but at the end, it still a soulless Disney product and I'm sure he wasn't given as much autonomy and discretion to do his thing. The movie overall has tonal and pacing problems but like I said, I did enjoy it regardless and I'll give them my credit considering the movie is watchable and it's certainly not as terrible as people wrote it off to be from the first teaser trailer.

Went to see the movie tonight. I thought it was very good, then again you know it's going to be a good night when your row and seat number is your Freaks handle!
ba785c49038d7dbd0395eeac305993ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Going to see it this Sunday. I preordered the normal one. Although I like extra stuff with a figure. I doubt I will display it that way. I will wait for chewy and get him also. But I'm also hoping HT does ESB Han.

Just got out. I can easily say I liked it more than TFA or TLJ, but not Rogue One. I definitely see Franken Berry’s point, but Astas point works too; you could go either way with Hans arc. Overall, was entertained, but not sure I need the figure. Go in with open mind, and you’ll at least be entertained for 2 hours.

No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

Tell me about it.

Solo was written by Kasdan. The guy who co wrote Empire. Arguably the film that solidified Han’s legendary status in fandom. And yet it’s funny how some fans are quick to bash this film because of literally...whatever.

We’re all fans, but I think some people need to get over themselves and try to go into this film with an open mind.

Back