Hot toys Snowspeeder Pilot Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most embarrassing thing is those aren't exactly recent figures either. Hot Toys is all over the place right now from stunningly realistic figures like Krennic to really subpar releases like the Jawa set which should have been a walk in the park for them and then there's constant resuse of headsculpts to the point of mould degradation (witness Leia's slowly collapsing face as she gets more and more anorexic with each reuse - but to be fair Endor Leia is still a nice figure).

Yup, which is why I try not to get too worked up over the fact we haven't gotten figures like Bespin Han, Lando, etc yet, as chances are pretty good that those will be disappointing as well in some way.

i probable up grade the head sculpt if they release this and probable the body and boots. the sideshow version is a really good figure i just think those areas could use an upgrade as the fight suit and flack jacket look great on the sideshow version. maybe the belt as well.

I'm not into pesky rebels at all, but i have soft spot for these orange rebel flight suits. Might get him.

No one seems too phased by the parka jacket material itself not being accurate to the movie ??

I don't get that. It's a glaring issue for me.

Here's a comparison of movie, SS & HT pics. Hot Toys clearly isn't that shiny slightly different orange coloured parka material.

Puffiness can be futzed a bit, material not so much.

Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 22.04.48.jpg

No one seems too phased by the parka jacket material itself not being accurate to the movie ??

Here's a comparison of movie, SS & HT pics. Hot Toys clearly isn't that shiny slightly different orange coloured parka material.

View attachment 490910

It has been mentioned a ton of times earlier in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 490910

They have time to change it. Coin toss whether or not they do.

They have time to change it. Coin toss whether or not they do.

First coin toss for whether or not it'll actually go into production.

Then a coin toss to see if they'll change any inaccuracies.

Then another coin toss as to whether the final product will hold up.

I feel like this all used to be easier just a few years ago.

It has been mentioned a ton of times earlier in the thread.

Not really. A LOT about puffiness etc

In any case I think ZE is right 50/50 chance they fix it.

Would be mega lazy if they leave it with wrong material, wrong puffiness AND wrong colour. Especially when they have the SS version as a real reference and of course the many movie reference pics.

First coin toss for whether or not it'll actually go into production.

Then a coin toss to see if they'll change any inaccuracies.

Then another coin toss as to whether the final product will hold up.

I feel like this all used to be easier just a few years ago.

Haha yes, that's probably pretty accurate too.

giphy.gif

No doubt they'll have a lot of social media pics on individual photo figures tomorrow and the next days. Would be the time to voice our feedback.

"Say something now or forever hold your peace" so to say.

View attachment 490910

The whole figure just looks plain weird to me. Like a mix and match figure. The best way I can describe it, is that it looks like a custom Snowspeeder Luke, that?s been made by someone who?s not the best at customising figures.

The whole figure just looks plain weird to me. Like a mix and match figure. The best way I can describe it, is that it looks like a custom Snowspeeder Luke, that?s been made by someone who?s not the best at customising figures.

Yeah I can see that. Helmet and headsculpt stolen from a Hot Toys figure. Jacket from some other figure, undersuit from Sideshow X-Wing Luke.

I mean slightly glossy orange parka material is not exactly hard to come by.

Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 23.29.32.jpg

Not really. A LOT about puffiness etc

In any case I think ZE is right 50/50 chance they fix it.

Would be mega lazy if they leave it with wrong material, wrong puffiness AND wrong colour. Especially when they have the SS version as a real reference and of course the many movie reference pics.

I mean, the suit material being wrong has definitely been mentioned numerous times at this point, lol. Even by both you and me!

Will pick this up, but yeah, it needs improvements. Know that's a prototype, so still time to fix things hopefully. As everybody is saying, it definitely needs a puffier jacket. Not just the sleeves, but the collar too. Would also be nice if they used some kind of material that looked more like nylon, since the jackets in the film were nylon jackets. Pants definitely need to be a darker orange than the jacket.

Glad the helmet looks to be an upgrade over SS's version. Not totally accurate, but at least it doesn't look like like a cheap Hasbro toy.

All the prototypes here look poorly futzed and kinda rushed together. That being said I?m ecstatic that a Snowspeeder Luke is being made. Love that the harpoon is being included. Like the slimmer suit, sculpt and boots. Hopefully the production suit finish looks better.

I really hope this is a very early proto. Feel like the jacket should look more like the material used for the First Order Tie pilot. And I really hope that the head is just a placeholder as well. If not then you would have to assume any new Bespin Luke will also use it just like they showed last year, and it is already annoying enough with all the Leia sculpt reuse.

The sleeve thickness at the elbow and below is too thin to achieve any of those looks currently. Looks like they made it very thin to fit within the gauntlet but it's much too thin.

On my Sideshow Luke Snowspeeder I cut off the sleeves of the inner flight suit to trim the bulkiness and it made the outer jacket sleeves the perfect thickness, and it can then be futzed to create the wrinkles.

The other thing that is unclear on the HT jacket is (even on the higher res pics) it appears to be more like a regular cotton type fabric, not slicker type material. The Sidehsow one is the correct sail type material, but is futzable because it's so thin.

The HT jacket needs to be another 1/2" longer at the waist - its supposed to almost cover the crotch area.

What gets me is they haven't used a shiny parka material. It looks to be the same matt material as the pants/overalls.

SS got it right. And I'm sure Hot Toys would have had one as a reference. Weird.

Sure they could be waiting on the material, but I mean how long have they had for this figure ?

For those curious as to how HT's reuse of the Luke Jedi sculpt on this snowspeeder Luke will look without the helmet, this is the reuse of that sculpt I did for my Dagobah version. I like the sculpt in terms of Hamill likeness, though it might read as not quite youthful enough for ESB - it feels like a more gaunt ROTJ Luke even with ESB style hair.

That being said, if this head/hair combo came up as a new, never-before-seen sculpt for a HT Bespin or snowspeeder Luke, I would have been really happy with it.

J73GZxv.jpg

Q4alYg3.jpg

Yeah that actually kinda nails it - this was 100% my reaction to first seeing the figure. When you look at clearer pics, it actually looks kinda rough and almost clumsy in places.

The narrowness of the parka sleeve in that elbow/forearm area heading into the glove is just bizarre looking - it's 50% thinner than the very thinnest look seen in the movie (which is Dagobah landing) and no futzing could fix that. Even beyond the narrow sleeves, the whole jacket seems off - not enough volume, wrong fabric type, neck collar deflated, length too short at the waist.

And while I like the gauntlets (which look to be from their abandoned Snowie Commander), the gloved hand sculpts remind me a lot of the old Hasbro Luke/Han Hoth hands - the latest in a long line of awful gloved hands from HT (Imperial gunner, Vader V.1, Leia Hoth etc.) Though not many people point it out, bad hand sculpts do really hurt a fig imo.

Maybe they will reboot some of this if it does go to PO, but this kinda sloppy presentation on what should be a hyped CENTERPIECE SW figure shows something about HT and also SW currently - maybe attention is directed at other lines and SW just isn't a major priority, or maybe just overstretched in general, or maybe its budgets cut - that tinfoil Jawa base and its reuse on this says cost surely has something to do with it.

Part or maybe even a lot of it is probably the very high cost of the Star Wars license and the lack of interest in Star Wars in the Hot Toys domestic market.

Attempts to make Star Wars work in China have flopped. There's some interest in other countries like South Korea, but not a lot. Japan is probably the friendliest market but that's still relatively small.

Marvel has had a huge impact there so that'll be their priority. We're unfortunately stuck with cut corners, reduced quality, and reveals/releases that just barely trickle out.

Securing and getting approvals for likeness for Star Wars seems to also be a bit of an issue as well. Perhaps Disney/Marvel Studios and everyone involved make it a lot easier to get approvals for each actor and character in comparison.

Disney/Lucasfilm might be far stricter, and the actors or their estates may have more control over their likeness. Which leads to reusing sculpts that have previously been approved instead of new ones. Which also happens to reduce cost as well.

That's further reinforced by the lack of portraits in the Mandalorian line, despite being potentially very lucrative. Which is unfortunate because I would love to see Cara Dune and Moff Gideon, but that feels unlikely.

Last edited:
Maybe it was rushed due to Covid 19?

Its been nearly 6 months since Covid hit Hong Kong so maybe what we are seeing is a "cobble together" effort of what they could get done in the conditions they had to work with.

Just my thought on it.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Back