Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:exactly:

It was neat discovering the little differences between Sandtrooper and Stormtrooper armour and helmets for the first time only a few months ago. And then better still to see that HT had addressed them as well. Some of them tiny details that could've been overlooked by going the cheaper route of re-using moulds.

Same here. I wouldn't have bought sandtrooper if it uses the same mold as the regular trooper and it wasn't accurate to the differences it had on screen.

And that is the type of people that makes HT above competitors, their attention to details and accuracy. Then you have companies like SS and medicom that releases subpar product. Theres always market for both segments, no rights or wrongs in this case.

Yep, that's the point. The entire purpose of critiquing the review is to make the correction of error. I can't understand why someone things they can critique Hot Toys and dismiss their superior product, but then not be able to stand the critique of their critique. It just doesn't work like that.

You are correct in that there is no right or wrong on opinion or what someone likes, personally. But there IS a difference when you are making comparisons like a knowledgable person when you aren not informed on the details to make an accurate comparison...then advise what another person should do.

I liken it to wine. Some wine experts might tell you the best bottle of wine to buy is the one you like.....never mind all the fancy effort put into mixing wines and ingredients or relevance to pairing and what not. If you like it, buy it.

I wouldn't have said anything about the review if it was just someones opinion about what they like and talked about their feelings of it. But it's not true when the person above said that the review was in relation to the very hight $320 cost and the HT wasn't worth that very high cost, which is also debatable.

At the end of the day it's not an inquisition on the reviewer, I have said that several times, but to pretend that the differences aren't there needs to stop. If you can't see them, fine. If you don't care about the differences....great, move along, but don't tell others they are the identical for the most part....because they aren't. If they are the same to you....fine, I have no problem with that. But declarative statements are another matter.

Cheers!

:duff

Same here. I wouldn't have bought sandtrooper if it uses the same mold as the regular trooper and it wasn't accurate to the differences it had on screen.

:goodpost: :exactly:

That was the point I was making with the reviewer on his FB page. That I was saying it was important to note HT's effort and hard work to make the nuances that we appreciate and to acknowledge them and give them credit for them. This should encourage them to keep doing it and it's our duty to honor that effort and encourage people to buy them by pointing out how much their product had improved.

Yes, but those differences are much different than what's being discussed. Certainly everyone collecting these high end toys appreciates those differences. I would venture to say those are major differences at this scale. The 2-4mm angle change in the nose, that might miss a lot of folks. Not saying it doesn't matter, just that most won't notice that. They will notice reused shin guards.:wink1:

But anyone who's very **** on movie accuracies wouldn't solely just buy a figure based on a single review. They'll usually lurks and read forums like this to find like minded people and then decide. :lol

Like I can tell what you are pointing out because there's old collectors like jkno, kuat, etc agreeing to your points.

Yep, that's the point. The entire purpose of critiquing the review is to make the correction of error. I can't understand why someone things they can critique Hot Toys and dismiss their superior product, but then not be able to stand the critique of their critique. It just doesn't work like that.

You are correct in that there is no right or wrong on opinion or what someone likes, personally. But there IS a difference when you are making comparisons like a knowledgable person when you aren not informed on the details to make an accurate comparison...then advise what another person should do.

I liken it to wine. Some wine experts might tell you the best bottle of wine to buy is the one you like.....never mind all the fancy effort put into mixing wines and ingredients or relevance to pairing and what not. If you like it, buy it.

I wouldn't have said anything about the review if it was just someones opinion about what they like and talked about their feelings of it. But it's not true when the person above said that the review was in relation to the very hight $320 cost and the HT wasn't worth that very high cost, which is also debatable.

At the end of the day, it's not an inquisition, but to pretend that the differences aren't there needs to stop. If you can't see them, fine. If you don't care about the differences....great. Move along, but don't tell others they are the same.....because they aren't. If they aren't the same to you....fine, I have no problem with that. But declarative statements are another matter.

Cheers!

:duff

Yes, but those differences are much different than what's being discussed. Certainly everyone collecting these high end toys appreciates those differences. I would venture to say those are major differences at this scale. The 2-4mm angle change in the nose, that might miss a lot of folks. Not saying it doesn't matter, just that most won't notice that. They will notice reused shin guards.:wink1:

Yep. Many of the improvements even some "experts" might miss. Also, we don't know what HT might have tried to do...and failed, so when we critique, they are often well aware of their challenges. The biggest point I would like any reviewer to learn is that it does matter to credit their work, properly. I am extremely grateful for the work HT has done here.

But anyone who's very **** on movie accuracies wouldn't solely just buy a figure based on a single review. They'll usually lurks and read forums like this to find like minded people and then decide. :lol

Yep, great point. I just didn't want to see someone who was on the fence hear that review and not pull the trigger because they thought someone knowledgeable told them it wasn't a huge improvement. I want to see HT make a ton of money off this and then make more, reduce costs if more people buy.

I didn't say that.

Again, I'm not interested in sparring with people or having a spat. I'm only trying to advance discussion. I'm sorry if i assumed you said something you didn't, but I read this and to me it reads that the reviewer was saying the price was steep and if you already have the sideshow it will suffice. I didn't hear the reviewer make that point, but rather the point that the HT wasn't an improved enough figure to go out and buy it because the SS was close enough.

but I'm not going to crucify someone who says the price is a little steep when they already have the sideshow.[/blockquote]

Couldn't hang on until Christmas!!!

This thing is stunning. My second best figure (I don't think the Tamashi 3PO will ever be beaten).

I've owned and sold a SS and Medicom Sandy and this is in a different league - and it can stand up on its own!!!

1354bda162d5b86823f3829ddbad48eb.jpg

I dunno, when I look at these two helmets, they seem pretty similar to me, so I'll stay in the "casual fan" category lol. You indicate the Sideshow helmet have mold parting and seam lines? Looking at my helmets, all the seams and lines are essentially in the same locations as the Hot Toys version. So is the Deluxe Sandtrooper different to previous Sideshow troopers?

I'd advise you to read this when having some time: :)

Original Stormtrooper Helmets and Armor Sub Menu

or link by link:

Original ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Helmets
Original ANH Hero Stormtrooper Helmets and Armor
Original ESB Stormtrooper Helmets and Armor
https://starwarshelmets.com/Original-ROTJ-stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

I didn't say that seeing these glaring differences were a fun thing. It's been rough, waiting for the improvements, but they will come. I can't even look at my sideshow troopers any longer. They are just not acceptable to me.

This is how I see them in comparison:

"Really, these differences are not noticeable to me".....this is what it looks and feels like to us.

Exactly. If there weren't for people who were interested in a slightly better accuracy out there, we would still get helmets like the mug above in the left. We don't ask for 100% accuracy, because on this scale is impossible, but we are happy to see when a company tries for more. And HT did try and delivered a superior product to SSC - Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper wise (but I guess other figures too). Not to mention the other issues the SSC Sandies have besides the helmet - floppy bodies, bad paint apps (excepting the deluxe), tiny cod piece. HT Sandie is really improved over all other 1/6 figures, statues, or other collectibles (even in 1/4, 1/7, 1/5) out there: SSC, Marmit, Medicom, Gentle Giant, Kotobukiya, Attakus, you name it.

I'd advise you to read this when having some time: :)

Original Stormtrooper Helmets and Armor Sub Menu

or link by link:

Original ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Helmets
Original ANH Hero Stormtrooper Helmets and Armor
Original ESB Stormtrooper Helmets and Armor
Original RotJ Stormtrooper Helmets and Armor

Exactly. If there weren't for people who were interested in a slightly better accuracy out there, we would still get helmets like the mug above in the left. We don't ask for 100% accuracy, because on this scale is impossible, but we are happy to see when a company tries for more. And HT did try and delivered a superior product to SSC - Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper wise (but I guess other figures too). Not to mention the other issues the SSC Sandies have besides the helmet - floppy bodies, bad paint apps (excepting the deluxe), tiny cod piece. HT Sandie is really improved over all other 1/6 figures, statues, or other collectibles (even in 1/4, 1/7, 1/5) out there: SSC, Marmit, Medicom, Gentle Giant, Kotobukiya, Attakus, you name it.

:goodpost:

I think some of the more detail oriented fans, and I'd count myself as one, just have to accept that there is a much larger portion of the fanbase (collectors and casual) that are completely content with, in this case sandtrooper, that just looks like what it's supposed to be, rather than being accurate. 95% of people don't really know or care what they're looking at when they see something like a movie suit of armour, creature etc, and are perfectly happy that it looks enough like it. That's not me being a snob or anything, I just know most people really aren't that concerned about accuracy in design, art and detail and so on.. There's also people who are reeeally into the design and making of suits and props and have an eye for this stuff, and then people who just see a figure and are like, "cool, that's a great looking stormtrooper/Vader/Boba Fett" etc etc.

Like many people here, I fell in love, not just with these films, but the making of them. The art and design, the patchwork, guerrilla, scratch build feel of the OT, especially ANH, but the great majority of people just see a cool looking trooper and are fine with that.

Great day. Vader and Sandy arrived. Although I haven't even had time to open my farmboy Luke and it doesn't look like today will be the day either. Tomorrow though :yess:

Back