1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

I’d say that’s a fair statement! That’s really no wrong when it comes to something that makes you happy at the end of the day in the hobby. As long as it works for you

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Raymond F. , those paint mods make it look pretty damn good! Hoping to be able to snag a headsculpt for a reasonable price as I don’t need the whole figure, and I quite like it for another project.

Thanks for that username, super fascinating in a general way and also fascinating to me that you see this as one of the ones with a high likeness and an opinion I was seeking by prompting the question knowing your tenure and that you have at least in my opinion, a good track record of aligning to my POV on many things in this department.

It makes it even more frustrating to me that I just seem to be struggling with this head so much.

Ive also read a lot of these kinds of studies as they pertain to artists and creative types; too am on the spectrum and I also have other mental “disorders” such as obsessive compulsive, among other things. It’s why I’ve been able to make a successful living out of producing, directing and critiquing aesthetic things.

Yeah. Me too. For a few years, i used to make model kit master patterns for a garage kit manufacturer in the US. It's good to obsess over details(At least, i enjoy it, lol). About the facial recognition, there's a great video on Youtube about how we process faces, and how we each do it differently, even for the same faces.
Until i saw it, i would despair on here about how i saw a face in a sculpt and other's didn't, or wonder why people saw such a good likeness when i couldn't see it at all.

Here's the vid, and i recommend it for everyone. It's a wealth of info on how our brains process facial images:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AQm22YQfYU

Love this post! Great point!

Thanks.
It's something that interests me greatly.

Finally got a final payment statement from Sideshow for my deluxe....11th of June so I should have it by the end of the following week.:yess:

Very nice video.

Fantastic video link, Thank you!

Very nice video.

Thanks. It was a real revelation to me when I first watched it that we can all see the same thing and come away with different views on whether it looks accurate.
When I see a sculpt which looks great to me now, I always appreciate that it’s only own visual schema that is being triggered. Others might see something totally removed from what I see. I’ve witnessed that on this forum before but never realised it was not a fault in my(or other people’s) eyes, but a difference in the way our brains perceive faces.
And it’s mind blowing to me.

Forgive the garbage quality iPhone pics but a before and after of my tweaks. Lightning the beard and trying my best to detract from the weird bottom lip area including the bulge over his chin and the weird fact that it looks almost like he’s sticking his tongue out.

Beard of course helps in accuracy of color but I also tried to give the illusion that the mustache was less stubby on the sides and connects to the beard better. I accentuated the eye crows feet which is a distinguishing characteristic and present in the prototype but absent here. Making the eyebrows fuller and reshaping them and the gray at the temples which should have been there. It all helps but I still can’t see Ewan the way I want View attachment 456671

Going along with what you have been talking about, I can completely agree with the point of view factor on some figures. Take Jedi Luke for example, when I hold mine in my hand, I can't see the likeness at all to Mark Hamill. Now if I hold it away from me more, and take a pic, I can totally see the likeness in the pic. When I first got my Luke from my local store, I could have sworn it was a fake. I even contemplated returning it and buying another from someone else. I looked at countless pics on eBay and even in the thread here and every one of them looked better than mine. I believe I'm definitely on that spectrum somewhere. As far as this figure is concerned, I can definitely see a fast improvement with your mods over the stock sculpt. I would even be willing to pay you to mod mine if and when I'm able to get him.

Thanks. It was a real revelation to me when I first watched it that we can all see the same thing and come away with different views on whether it looks accurate.
When I see a sculpt which looks great to me now, I always appreciate that it’s only own visual schema that is being triggered. Others might see something totally removed from what I see. I’ve witnessed that on this forum before but never realised it was not a fault in my(or other people’s) eyes, but a difference in the way our brains perceive faces.
And it’s mind blowing to me.

Equally mind blowing here too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange as BBTS shows that it's in stock. Got my shipping notice from them earlier today. Hope you all hear something soon.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hmm, I ordered the deluxe which is still listed as a pre-order. Which did you order?

Hmm, I ordered the deluxe which is still listed as a pre-order. Which did you order?
Just the regular, non-deluxe. I should have it Wednesday.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I’ve still got this and the emperor in the box, I wish I had time to set them up

Got my sculpt! Regardless of it looking exactly like Ewan, it’s still a great one. I’m going to resculpt the lower lip beard area to get rid of the tongue look.

Forgive the garbage quality iPhone pics but a before and after of my tweaks. Lightning the beard and trying my best to detract from the weird bottom lip area including the bulge over his chin and the weird fact that it looks almost like he’s sticking his tongue out.

Beard of course helps in accuracy of color but I also tried to give the illusion that the mustache was less stubby on the sides and connects to the beard better. I accentuated the eye crows feet which is a distinguishing characteristic and present in the prototype but absent here. Making the eyebrows fuller and reshaping them and the gray at the temples which should have been there. It all helps but I still can’t see Ewan the way I want View attachment 456671

Did you make any sculptural changes here, or was this all achieved with clever usage of paint? I would say your modifications look pretty damned good to me. The mustache connecting to the beard and the crows feet alone take this sculpt a long way from where it started.

Yup 100 percent all paint man! The power of paint can be pretty significant often enough to give the illusion of structural changes

where's the one of Anakin standing over one of the Puppies ? [emoji38]
Hehhe. I almost did that but my kid is too weird about those Damn dogs. He sleeps with them too lol.

More shots! Here's some of he and Yoda witnessing the birth of Vader and Obi wan holding Baby Luke...

8ed22a54e8055e3e9b9a7b55c71505bb.jpg
be76980129d6e3c97d51669c3e3ab4bc.jpg
ba790a591c0553eb81f1d96dc9194eb5.jpg
882a86ca85ce1bc9569b9f0dd7f1036a.jpg
da00b47eace7660e066349ee13c77da7.jpg

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite figures. There's just so many options for him. I took a few more of him fighting Anakin(including the high ground sequence which ive been wanting to do for years), a couple with him chopping up a droid(and now I realize I would buy one if Hot toys did one) and a couple of him just posing with Anakin

c986499e2a85ba1d969e6f03f5120cae.jpg
bc6c7ba1c6ae0e1c66fc0157c83010e3.jpg
b14bdca68249627d0640c34a4dbe2955.jpg
b3acb717e67eacb775add2790d0ac359.jpg
1a3b70417043e782117da25399ebfea4.jpg
c52c430b2e4ad69d544588d91743fa7d.jpg
ac6ee9eda2973d530f699cfd68452929.jpg
a26a38cf582c11c61d7f07c2b38ddee5.jpg

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

love it....i have the high ground, don't try it anakin. you under estimate my power...:)

Back