1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

This figure rules! As suspected he does look better in hand. Damn Great. My son wanted his Puppies in one of the photos lol
ca74fbf0136e85c15a85e0081c424312.jpg
3fa7eedefaeb118c8c23ea11805d1d04.jpg
dce251967ca176073b57e1cb0b8a3cf7.jpg
f371d6b1b6d3862baa7c8369c1fd52d7.jpg

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Vs. Anakin!
54517d3697cde0bf2ba545fa27cb70c4.jpg
e72064c81e7c33bca053f305290e25ff.jpg
fd1562bdd1b9a71b9052fa2aba4ee5e0.jpg
e2503e90dbf2ba71f4f813b658ac0a51.jpg
600102b5021161fe04e4f7323ab31983.jpg
9b1fa34fa9a2b817fd4dafd4725279bd.jpg
2cf34b4ad08c5d400917084ab420aeac.jpg
5ce410da681e098d9e108d20cfdcaf27.jpg

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who wants to like this but just can’t see a damn ounce of likeness in the head? I can’t even put my finger on what’s wrong specifically with the sculpt. Of course the beard is the wrong color, he’s missing the gray at the temples etc. but even though I fixed all that I don’t see ewan at all in here. Super disappointed.

Am I the only one who wants to like this but just can’t see a damn ounce of likeness in the head? I can’t even put my finger on what’s wrong specifically with the sculpt. Of course the beard is the wrong color, he’s missing the gray at the temples etc. but even though I fixed all that I don’t see ewan at all in here. Super disappointed.

If you can't even see an "ounce" of likeness in the head, you probably are in the wrong hobby and will never be satisfied with a purchase. Look at a 3 inch hasbro figure, ill give you that. But to claim you cant even see any likeness to Obi Wan...you are never going to find a figure you like. The sculpt may not be 100% accurate to real life, but its pretty damn good.

Love this figure as it nails Obi Ewan for me. The outfit is perfect, non of the puffy look when it was previewed. Only thing I can complain about is the the cuff wiring is poking out on both sleeves.
I tried taking some pictures on my standard phone camera and it looses out on the magnificent it has on a shelf in front of you.

Comparing it to the high end 6" scale version I know which I think is better value.
3cadbcaa77299cda9222279e854a35ac.jpg
77abf9fd56d02afb7580416626d35016.jpg
9e682a98657f01267fdace5b92079b63.jpg

Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Hey if that’s how ya feel than process the disappointment & set ur eye on another figure. IMO it looks really good (don’t own it just looking at in hand photos here) but it’s certainly not perfect, nor any HT figure ever released imo, so ya gotta weigh the immersion/happiness factor...owning this one would make me smile every time bc I love the character and the likeness is close enough not to break that fun factor. I just gotta wait as it’s not the right time for me $$ wise. Sorry this one didn’t do it for ya but at least it saved u 250. Mtfbwy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I can see a decent enough likeness, it still seems awfully vague and generic somehow. Especially from a distance or in a full body shot. It's only up close with the exact right lighting that it looks any good.

Even in the blurry cellphone pics above I see a lot more character and personality in the Anakin sculpt than in the Obi-Wan.

If you can't even see an "ounce" of likeness in the head, you probably are in the wrong hobby and will never be satisfied with a purchase. Look at a 3 inch hasbro figure, ill give you that. But to claim you cant even see any likeness to Obi Wan...you are never going to find a figure you like. The sculpt may not be 100% accurate to real life, but its pretty damn good.

I see you are relatively a newbie having joined a year or so ago: no judgement there of course, but If you ask around about my involvement or know my history in this hobby you may be surprised to see that your claim is the exact opposite. High standards I will not apologize for and guilty as charged but if there’s one thing I know, is likeness.

Not hating on anyone who loves the figure at all, but I’ll call a spade a spade if I see it. However I’m more asking than anything else because there are vets and opinions I trust that I know by the Star Wars figures and I’m wondering if I’m alone in this. Not saying I don’t value your perspective because you are a newbie or anything but it does carry less weight. I would have expected more controversy about this having seen the back and forth in the other Star Wars threads. But seeing as this one is only 150 pages long I’m thinking it’s more general apathy given it’s a prequel figure.

Last edited:

Hey if that’s how ya feel than process the disappointment & set ur eye on another figure. IMO it looks really good (don’t own it just looking at in hand photos here) but it’s certainly not perfect, nor any HT figure ever released imo, so ya gotta weigh the immersion/happiness factor...owning this one would make me smile every time bc I love the character and the likeness is close enough not to break that fun factor. I just gotta wait as it’s not the right time for me $$ wise. Sorry this one didn’t do it for ya but at least it saved u 250. Mtfbwy

Well it didn’t save me anything because I bought it, but I will definitely agree that no hot toys is perfect. But there are those that come close and those way off the mark. For me close and those that pass the test are all the leias, kylo ren, anakin, Jedi Luke etc. many of those are flawed but they pass the test.

Those way off the mark include farm Luke, Han Solo, Guinness obi wan and this.

I’m not saying the rest now of the figure is bad or that it’s a bad quality. Outfit is much improved from the proto it’s a fine quality sculpt but I’m saying it’s a very poor likeness to the actor

The last thing I’ll say before I put a pin in it is that I’m all for people buying figures getting excited about the hobby and loving the “spirit of the character” for me it’s not not about the spirit the damn thing has to look as close to the real McCoy as it possibly can because that’s my standard.

I have hundreds of these 1/6 figures and I’m pretty hardcore about spending ton of money customizing them to get them as accurate as possible. I’ve lent my services for free and for charge in art directing items in these hobby. I have the paint skills and the eye for extreme accuracy and one thing I excel at is likeness.

Not trying to rain on parades because people collect for different reasons and hot toys is hit and miss so I’m not saying it’s altogether unexpected but I do think this one is a miss in likeness and I don’t believe I’m the only one other than iniguo, who i believe had sculpted more accurate liknesss ewan heads and I’m kicking myself for selling the one I had from him, who’s seeing it and trying to find ways to fix the likeness.

Forgive the garbage quality iPhone pics but a before and after of my tweaks. Lightning the beard and trying my best to detract from the weird bottom lip area including the bulge over his chin and the weird fact that it looks almost like he’s sticking his tongue out.

Beard of course helps in accuracy of color but I also tried to give the illusion that the mustache was less stubby on the sides and connects to the beard better. I accentuated the eye crows feet which is a distinguishing characteristic and present in the prototype but absent here. Making the eyebrows fuller and reshaping them and the gray at the temples which should have been there. It all helps but I still can’t see Ewan the way I want 1DB10136-6A6E-408F-8543-349A81E1DCCB.jpeg

However I’m more asking than anything else because there are vets and opinions I trust that I know by the Star Wars figures and I’m wondering if I’m alone in this.

There are huge studies being conducted about facial recognition abilities in humans, both young and old and there are many factors that can affect any individuals abilities in this regard.
It’s a fascinating field of study, but the point is that at one side of the spectrum, there are people who can see likeness where there is only a small resemblance, and at the other end, people who cannot see likeness where these is huge resembling features present.
ASD can be a large contributing factor to the “I see the likeness” versus “this looks nothing like him/her!” Debate. I am personally on the autism spectrum(And I have a profound belief that many other people on here are “in the same boat” as me, and that’s not meant to be any disparagement), so it’s of genuine interest to me to hear what others think about certain headsculpts.
Like you say, it’s incredibly interesting to ask who sees the likeness and who doesn’t.
For me, this figure is close to 100% accurate. But I understand everyone sees it slightly differently.
The wonder of the human brain! It never ceases to amaze.

Thanks for that username, super fascinating in a general way and also fascinating to me that you see this as one of the ones with a high likeness and an opinion I was seeking by prompting the question knowing your tenure and that you have at least in my opinion, a good track record of aligning to my POV on many things in this department.

It makes it even more frustrating to me that I just seem to be struggling with this head so much.

Ive also read a lot of these kinds of studies as they pertain to artists and creative types; too am on the spectrum and I also have other mental “disorders” such as obsessive compulsive, among other things. It’s why I’ve been able to make a successful living out of producing, directing and critiquing aesthetic things.

Well it didn’t save me anything because I bought it, but I will definitely agree that no hot toys is perfect. But there are those that come close and those way off the mark. For me close and those that pass the test are all the leias, kylo ren, anakin, Jedi Luke etc. many of those are flawed but they pass the test.

Those way off the mark include farm Luke, Han Solo, Guinness obi wan and this.

I’m not saying the rest now of the figure is bad or that it’s a bad quality. Outfit is much improved from the proto it’s a fine quality sculpt but I’m saying it’s a very poor likeness to the actor

I appreciate your input and thoughts . Helps a newcomer to the hobby gain perspective [emoji846] I don’t have it in hand but some photos def look better than others. My sticking point will be how does it look 6 ft from my couch when I’m glancing over at my collection in the making. Not sure it’ll pass there but tbh I’m starting to think I might appreciate 1/4 more for that very reason. Plus for all the futzing ya can do I’m more a set it and admire it guy.

There are huge studies being conducted about facial recognition abilities in humans, both young and old and there are many factors that can affect any individuals abilities in this regard.
It’s a fascinating field of study, but the point is that at one side of the spectrum, there are people who can see likeness where there is only a small resemblance, and at the other end, people who cannot see likeness where these is huge resembling features present.
ASD can be a large contributing factor to the “I see the likeness” versus “this looks nothing like him/her!” Debate. I am personally on the autism spectrum(And I have a profound belief that many other people on here are “in the same boat” as me, and that’s not meant to be any disparagement), so it’s of genuine interest to me to hear what others think about certain headsculpts.
Like you say, it’s incredibly interesting to ask who sees the likeness and who doesn’t.
For me, this figure is close to 100% accurate. But I understand everyone sees it slightly differently.
The wonder of the human brain! It never ceases to amaze.

Love this post! Great point!

I’d wager to say that you’d be coming out ahead on almost anything in this hobby if you’re the kind of collector who really collects for the display or statue quality of a figure because you’d obsess way less over the small details and almost anything hot toys is a sure bet win for that. I’ll definitely agree 1/4 is the way to go if that’s your goal but there is definitely a lot less limited offerings in that scale because the collectibility factor is much harder.

I’d wager to say that you’d be coming out ahead on almost anything in this hobby if you’re the kind of collector who really collects for the display or statue quality of a figure because you’d obsess way less over the small details and almost anything hot toys is a sure bet win for that. I’ll definitely agree 1/4 is the way to go if that’s your goal but there is definitely a lot less limited offerings in that scale because the collectibility factor is much harder.

Great stuff to think about! I really appreciate it.

I see you are relatively a newbie having joined a year or so ago: no judgement there of course, but If you ask around about my involvement or know my history in this hobby you may be surprised to see that your claim is the exact opposite. High standards I will not apologize for and guilty as charged but if there’s one thing I know, is likeness.

Not hating on anyone who loves the figure at all, but I’ll call a spade a spade if I see it. However I’m more asking than anything else because there are vets and opinions I trust that I know by the Star Wars figures and I’m wondering if I’m alone in this. Not saying I don’t value your perspective because you are a newbie or anything but it does carry less weight. I would have expected more controversy about this having seen the back and forth in the other Star Wars threads. But seeing as this one is only 150 pages long I’m thinking it’s more general apathy given it’s a prequel figure.

That's fair enough. Obviously if you dont love it, its not my place to say you are wrong. Its just a case of us having different standards, and mine being a little more lenient, yours a bit more strict. Id venture to say we are both probably right.

Back