1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

I still don’t understand the doubt behind JC’s comments. Isn’t it wildly known by now that nothing in licensing is in a vacuum? Some actors have more final say than others. I know Disney holds most of the rights to Hamill as Luke but it changes from likeness to likeness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

How did Obi-Wan manage to split the battle droid in a way that the saber did not cut any part of that tube inside? ;)
BTW, masterside's photos calmed down the forum. Thanks a lot.

After digesting many of the in-hand photos and videos available on this figure to date, my conclusion is that the new sculpt is fine and the figure is going to look spectacular posed up in a battle with Anakin.

That said, looking at this still makes me want to cry...

Photos look great! Lipgate may have been born from some poorly posed/lighted shots, and by all indications, this is going to be a great figure. Cant wait.

And so the consensus on this figure begins its paradigm shift. Initial freak out phase seems to be waning and acceptance is setting in.

Acceptance, but still a major step down from the prototype. That was a beauty. This just lost a lot in the paint apps. I’m sure it will be fine with the right pose and lighting. It’s the first real major Star Wars letdown from the prototype I can think of. I know we always lose a little, but I feel like this is significant enough for even jc to agree. I fear for qui gon, as to me it’s a lifeless sculpt already, so we will see.
Overall though, panic subsided and let’s hope for reveal this week like bespin Han or lando.

Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Acceptance, but still a major step down from the prototype. That was a beauty. This just lost a lot in the paint apps. I’m sure it will be fine with the right pose and lighting. It’s the first real major Star Wars letdown from the prototype I can think of. I know we always lose a little, but I feel like this is significant enough for even jc to agree. I fear for qui gon, as to me it’s a lifeless sculpt already, so we will see.
Overall though, panic subsided and let’s hope for reveal this week like bespin Han or lando.

For someone really trying not to get into the PT, me, the drop in quality made it all the more easy to stay away from this one. Admittedly, I might pick it up if there happens to be a nice discount, but it overall it’s unfortunate. Would have preferred it had been a home run for everyone who’s much more invested in the PT than me. And it also just gets disconcerting when HT starts slipping on figures that were great in proto stage.

For me the first SW let down was Jyn. I know plenty of people liked the final sculpt but for me it was very different and a question mark whether I’ll eventually want her in my collection.

Last edited:

No way in hell I'd miss out on a Hot Toys ROTS Obi-Wan because a tweak in sculpt. Even though it is a slight step down from the proto, it's still really great imo & better than any other company could do. Hot Toys have set the bar so high for themselves that if it isn't 100% perfect people are disappointed. Pre-ordering something and getting something different is understandably frustrating but this figure still looks top notch.

This was the only other PT figure I wanted. However, the drop in quality on the sculpt has me wanting to just wait for perhaps a discount. He’s moved from the “must have” category into the category of “I’d have him, but I wouldn’t pay retail for it.” If I don’t ever get a chance to pick him up, eh, no biggie.

A slight drop in quality from proto to production is always to be expected, but from what I’ve seen, this one just seems to have suffered a much more significant drop than what is usually the norm.

I probably wouldn't have bought this if I didn't already have it paid for, to be honest. It's fine, overall, despite the softening, the terrible hair and beard colour, and the eyesore bottom lip, but I guess I'm just not that keen to pay full hot toys prices on a prequel figure that is merely okay. I'm more a make an exception for the prequel figures that are great kind of guy. And this isn't that by a fair old stretch.

And so the consensus on this figure begins its paradigm shift. Initial freak out phase seems to be waning and acceptance is setting in.

Based on the quality/look of the first final production photos, I believe the initial "freak out" was understandable and merited. I didn't lose my mind and swear off the figure and all that Hot Toys would ever release again, like some of the more harshly reacting folks on Facebook, but i was decently let down by the first images.

The other thought im working with now is how spoiled some have become in this hobby. To imply this final release looks not a thing like Obi/Ewan, and is simply some generic Jedi figure is a rather big stretch. I have had some problems with certain figures not being too good a visualization of certain characters, but come on, to claim this looks nothing like him...oh man.

It's kind of the opposite initial reaction because the promo pics made it look pretty bad in some shots and then the first real in hand ones we saw brought some relief to many including myself. I don't understand when it's your job to make the figure look good in promo pics and you wind up making it look much worse.

Yeah, the initial blogger pics are almost always never the photos on which to accurately judge a final production figure on.

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to adding this to the PT shelf.

Detolf Cubes as follows:

Qui-Gon and Maul

Anakin and Obi-Wan

Cody and Airborne Trooper

With alt being Obi-Wan and Cody paired and Anakin and a 501st.

If HT just posted masterside’s pics everyone would’ve been happy.

This all reminds me of the let down that was Sideshows release of ROTS Kenobi. I wish I could find the Proto pic for that, If i remember correctly it was a shot taken at a convention but my memory is garbage these days.

I will agree that the master side pics along with a few others have calmed any fears I had and I will be picking this up.

Yeah, the initial blogger pics are almost always never the photos on which to accurately judge a final production figure on.

Emperor Palpatine all over again... 'member dat?

This was the only other PT figure I wanted. However, the drop in quality on the sculpt has me wanting to just wait for perhaps a discount. He’s moved from the “must have” category into the category of “I’d have him, but I wouldn’t pay retail for it.” If I don’t ever get a chance to pick him up, eh, no biggie.

A slight drop in quality from proto to production is always to be expected, but from what I’ve seen, this one just seems to have suffered a much more significant drop than what is usually the norm.

Agree with this completely. Definitely disappointed, as I was really looking forward to this figure. However, there's only so much money and space for figures, and HT has many more SW & Marvel figures coming up that I'm interested in, so this one will be a pass at least for now. Hopefully Maul is a homerun...

Agree with this completely. Definitely disappointed, as I was really looking forward to this figure. However, there's only so much money and space for figures, and HT has many more SW & Marvel figures coming up that I'm interested in, so this one will be a pass at least for now. Hopefully Maul is a homerun...

Darth Maul is much more easier to sculpt. It does not require much facial detail like Obi Wan. Darth Maul figure should be fine without much complaint.

Back