1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

His style is so different in ROTS, and his outfit enough so, that ROTS Sidious would make a fantastic figure -- as long as they make his cackling grin.

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

His style is so different in ROTS, and his outfit enough so, that ROTS Sidious would make a fantastic figure -- as long as they make his cackling grin.

Probably one of the few where it would pay to have multiple sculpts, do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often wonder what direction Lucas was trying to go with Palpatine? In AOTC he looked very pale and sickly and in ROTS he doesn't. Its almost as if Lucas would have a sickness explain his transformation into what the Emperor eventually looks like. I think that would have worked better than lightning to the face.

$275 for the Deluxe... this is getting much more expansive than I thought for this doll collecting hobby

:gah:

And it's this reason I'm not feeling the "doll hobby" anymore. I think the figures look fantastic but can clearly see thee "dolls" have become way overpriced and has elimated temptation or desire. Seriously how much do you guys think these figures are actually worth? Let's eliminate any "cost" of license or likeness. Strictly from a "What's in the Box" POV.

Probably one of the few where it would pay to have multiple sculpts, do you think?

Definitely.

I wish a 2nd sculpt was included in almost every figure. Always good to have options.

I often wonder what direction Lucas was trying to go with Palpatine? In AOTC he looked very pale and sickly and in ROTS he doesn't. Its almost as if Lucas would have a sickness explain his transformation into what the Emperor eventually looks like. I think that would have worked better than lightning to the face.

It's true. In both TPM and AOTC it seemed Palpatine changed to become Sidious -- as if something about his physical self literally changed. I never could figure it out -- was he going to be like those cornball wizards that live on energy and need a boost every now and again?

But then ROTS left that all behind unexplained and suddenly he was just deformed... by his own lightning...? I never really got that beyond Lucas wanting him to look ugly -- his true self I guess. But if that's his true self, can he bounce back and forth between Palpatine and Sidious? Why did he decide to look like Sidious then?

I'm sure someone here knows the answer from EU books and such. Lucas always works it out later... and then later again... and then one more time for good measure.... and then a final time because the technology now allows it.... and then once more to "fix it"....

This looks great. Personally I prefer his look from AOTC to how he looked in ROTS. I'd like to say I'll wait for the AOTC version, but this look is from the superior prequel and it will probably be awhile before HT gets to AOTC Obi.
Yeah, I'll just keep telling myself that I don't need more prequel figures. :lol

Definitely.

I wish a 2nd sculpt was included in almost every figure. Always good to have options.

It's true. In both TPM and AOTC it seemed Palpatine changed to become Sidious -- as if something about his physical self literally changed. I never could figure it out -- was he going to be like those cornball wizards that live on energy and need a boost every now and again?

But then ROTS left that all behind unexplained and suddenly he was just deformed... by his own lightning...? I never really got that beyond Lucas wanting him to look ugly -- his true self I guess. But if that's his true self, can he bounce back and forth between Palpatine and Sidious? Why did he decide to look like Sidious then?

I'm sure someone here knows the answer from EU books and such. Lucas always works it out later... and then later again... and then one more time for good measure.... and then a final time because the technology now allows it.... and then once more to "fix it"....

https://youtu.be/sQwDbUBHPYQ
This guy does a great job of melding Legends and Cannon to form his own opinions to fix plot holes.

Sorta glad this isn’t that good....I was going to buy Anakin , but only if Obi looked as good....

They screwed it up though....they just cannot do a guy with a beard.

Well that’s two figures worth of cash saved.

https://youtu.be/sQwDbUBHPYQ
This guy does a great job of melding Legends and Cannon to form his own opinions to fix plot holes.

He fails to address the changes to Palpatine when acting as Sidious in AOTC where he seems already deformed.

But it is the logical conclusion anyway; that Sidious is his true face revealed when he no longer needs Palpatine.

Just ordered the exclusive at kghobby 205 euros with shipping, seemed the right thing to do:hi5:

Lucas was trying to go for 10 years of aging on Palpatine since anakin had aged 10 years. Easy to do with a guy with a beard but McDiarmid didn’t age much in 2 years. So I’m sure the prosthetics and makeup was supposed to be age spots. By the time we got to ROTS he had aged at least 6 years while filming from TPM so he was closer to the targeted age and most likely decided to do away with the extra makeup.

Just ordered the regular from BBTS. I’d love to have the extra bits but my wallet says I need to be conservative especially if we have Dooku and any others on the horizon. I’d love to see:
-Prequel Yoda done right with a light up saber.
-Darth Maul with double bladed light up saber and cloak.
-ROTS Palpatine
-Episode I Obi
If they end up doing Jango, or clones I might bite but they would have to blow me away.

Well...we all have priorities. I'll let you know how he is in 12 to 14 months.

Indeed. Though I may have him PO'd already by that time. Like MaulFan stated, plenty of time to save.

Just ordered the regular from BBTS. I’d love to have the extra bits but my wallet says I need to be conservative especially if we have Dooku and any others on the horizon. I’d love to see:
-ROTS Palpatine
-Episode I Obi
If they end up doing Jango, or clones I might bite but they would have to blow me away.

I would order the deluxe and decide which accessory you want more, baby Luke or the hologram table. I'm damn near certain you could get $40 for one or the other.

Lucas was trying to go for 10 years of aging on Palpatine since anakin had aged 10 years. Easy to do with a guy with a beard but McDiarmid didn’t age much in 2 years. So I’m sure the prosthetics and makeup was supposed to be age spots. By the time we got to ROTS he had aged at least 6 years while filming from TPM so he was closer to the targeted age and most likely decided to do away with the extra makeup.

-ROTS Palpatine
-Episode I Obi

Interesting list, So you're not interested in this?
AOTC Padme 001.jpg

That's at the top of mine. :naughty

I'd prefer naked

Yay!

This confirms battle droids from Hot Toys! Finally something other than the short necked Sideshow creations.

Hopefully they make the suit slimmer in the final version. I’m wavering in this one a lot. If HT released a Darth maul Is get the Obi-Wan for sure. Anakin I could care less about as his portrayal in the PT was pretty bad

Back