Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am completely sure that home-made pics don't do justice to production units.
Do marketing pics do justice to the prototype? I think so.
m.

you cant go by photo`s all the time. every one`s photos change the way a figure looks constantly. photos don't do these figures justice until you have them in hand. unless you have your own camera studio to take awesome photos unlike these cell phones that take crappy pictures like mine. :)

I’m not sure the likeness will improve much more with these sculpts until newer technologies come about that create a physical/virtual presentation.

The craft of creating lifelike features and expressions is limited by the inanimate materials in use. If you want it to look more human then the synthetic soft materials combined with nano tech to suggest subtle muscular contraction’s is the only thing that will take these further. Or if some virtual overlay can be achieved to suggest likeness.
.....huuuuh. Nano technology in an action figure? Muscular contractions and virtual overlays? What the....
1/6 figures have pretty much reached their zenith. We don't need anatomically correct, harvested flesh, Phicen bodies that bleed when you cut them. Then we'll be making 1 foot tall sentient beings that will take over....like Westworld.

Maybe in 10 years 3d printers will be so fast and precise that they will print these figures out en mass.

Heck i saw on world science festival a few years back the star trek like replicators will be a thing in 30-40 years and i half imagine they will blow 3d printing out of the water.

Course you need the paint to make those print outs look like the stuff hot toys puts out.

But i think these figures will get even better given some time.

Heck disney has said they already got 3d models of all the actors and could CGI them into w/e movies they want. We already saw young leia in rogue one uncanny valley stuff, but no doubt they got the static likeness nailed. And what is to stop HT or SS getting those models to print out? You would not need to sculpt anything just need the 3d printer or w/e capable of outputting those super CGI models. And watch collectors still nitpick about the accuracy of the head sculpts.

In 10 years SS will still be 10 years behind (kinda like where they are now! just peruse the Jack Burton BTILC thread lol). I personally like an 'artists' interpretation of the source material. 3-D printing is so cold, it removes the artistry of someone creating something. If 3-D printing is used I think these toys should be cheaper not more expensive. Meh a pipe-dream, but this hobby has come a loooong way since 2000.

Heck i saw on world science festival a few years back the star trek like replicators will be a thing in 30-40 years and i half imagine they will blow 3d printing out of the water.

Course you need the paint to make those print outs look like the stuff hot toys puts out.

Who needs paint in the future -- the printer will prepaint it for you. Yes, yes, this will all happen -- you will have a doll-maker in your own bedroom. You'll be able to make any character you want. And fast. Lightning fast. And as accurate as the real thing. Why stop at 1/6? I see a world where many boys will be able to make their own girlfriends. They'll be able to have as many girlfriends as they want. In every shape imaginable. So many lifelike girlfriends. What an incredible future.

Who needs paint in the future -- the printer will prepaint it for you. Yes, yes, this will all happen -- you will have a doll-maker in your own bedroom. You'll be able to make any character you want. And fast. Lightning fast. And as accurate as the real thing. Why stop at 1/6? I see a world where many boys will be able to make their own girlfriends. They'll be able to have as many girlfriends as they want. In every shape imaginable. So many lifelike girlfriends. What an incredible future.

the best thing about that you can make them mute :monkey3

Maybe in 10 years 3d printers will be so fast and precise that they will print these figures out en mass.

But i think these figures will get even better given some time.

Heck disney has said they already got 3d models of all the actors and could CGI them into w/e movies they want. We already saw young leia in rogue one uncanny valley stuff, but no doubt they got the static likeness nailed. And what is to stop HT or SS getting those models to print out? You would not need to sculpt anything just need the 3d printer or w/e capable of outputting those super CGI models. And watch collectors still nitpick about the accuracy of the head sculpts.

CGI destroys all. There are no more love and passion in making new movies. Just compare OT and PT SW. How you can compare OT Yoda and CGI Yoda?

What future? By then....the computers will have taken over. lol

08030477eed2e61ec8cef39d47d3168e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.....huuuuh. Nano technology in an action figure? Muscular contractions and virtual overlays? What the....
1/6 figures have pretty much reached their zenith. We don't need anatomically correct, harvested flesh, Phicen bodies that bleed when you cut them. Then we'll be making 1 foot tall sentient beings that will take over....like Westworld.

That’s exactly my point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am completely sure that home-made pics don't do justice to production units.
Do marketing pics do justice to the prototype? I think so.
m.

The marketing pics of the prototype are misleading because often the prototype and the production version are not the same thing either differing in sculpt or more recently pain app.

The Hoth Leia prototype marketing photos looked like a movie still - the doll on my shelf looks like her sedated out half sister. But i still bought 2.

Hi there.
This figure's heasculpt is a good example of Hot Toys' strong command on head sculpting. Its quality is up there, but that also brings some problems with it, as with such good quality, even small differences wrt the subject matter become very noticeable. As a result, I have never been completely satisfied with the head sculpt, even when only considering the marketing stuff, the prototype.

Because of this, I am trying to see if I am able to put my finger on exactly the issues that throw the likeness that bit off. I have come to 2 conclusions:

1) Hair way too big: just compare this

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/assets/...-skywalker-sixth-scale-hot-toys-903109-11.jpg

and this

https://www.hubofleather.com/wp-con...eturn-Of-Jedi-Movie-Luke-Skywalker-Jacket.jpg

Quite obvious right? The hair goes way too up wrt the scalp. A bit goofy. Similar to HT ANH Chewbacca having such a huge forehead.
There is also the color, which is too dark. For instance, look at this:

https://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/luke-skywalker-lightsaber-1536x864.jpg

But this issue only accounts for the hair not being quite right, a slight lack of realism, and it has nothing to do with the likeness.

2) Here is what I think is the likeness problem: mouth is nailed, overall shape of the face seems ok (unlike Bespin Luke, who had too wide mandibles), eyes are kind of right (unlike in ANH Luke, too small)... It has to be the eyebrows. Again, if you compare this:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/assets/...-skywalker-sixth-scale-hot-toys-903109-11.jpg

and this

https://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/luke-skywalker-lightsaber-1536x864.jpg

You'll see the strong difference between the real thing (more or less 180º arc) and Hot Toys (sort of Spock-like, rising too much to the sides).

My take is that, as with many other main SW characters, we are still to see the just-right Luke sculpt.
Leia is an exception, it was spot-on, being its only, but important issue, its lack of expression.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
m.

Can someone summarize this post for me so i dont have to scroll all the way though it? Thanks.

Eh i do not agree that CGI ruins everything, it is overused, and hollywood cuts corners on the CGI often because its expensive to do that stuff.

But the reason the CGI actors look off "uncanny valley" is because you are seeing a young carrie fischer but something is just a hair off, if its the movement the facial animations. she looked like fischer though and she had a emotive expressive face. Give them a couple years they might improve.

But you can pose CGI models animate them, you could take that face and do any expression you like, and i know star citizen developed some tech that does layered facial animations starting with the bones/muscles/skin. I bet those CGi actors are millions of polys. So that model does not need to look dead or lifeless, bet you could do promo shots with those models with raytracing and the whole 9 yards and they would look brilliant, it is the animation that they start to break down in film.

Hi there.
This figure's heasculpt is a good example of Hot Toys' strong command on head sculpting. Its quality is up there, but that also brings some problems with it, as with such good quality, even small differences wrt the subject matter become very noticeable. As a result, I have never been completely satisfied with the head sculpt, even when only considering the marketing stuff, the prototype.

Because of this, I am trying to see if I am able to put my finger on exactly the issues that throw the likeness that bit off. I have come to 2 conclusions:

1) Hair way too big: just compare this

and this

https://www.hubofleather.com/wp-con...eturn-Of-Jedi-Movie-Luke-Skywalker-Jacket.jpg

Quite obvious right? The hair goes way too up wrt the scalp. A bit goofy. Similar to HT ANH Chewbacca having such a huge forehead.
There is also the color, which is too dark. For instance, look at this:

But this issue only accounts for the hair not being quite right, a slight lack of realism, and it has nothing to do with the likeness.

2) Here is what I think is the likeness problem: mouth is nailed, overall shape of the face seems ok (unlike Bespin Luke, who had too wide mandibles), eyes are kind of right (unlike in ANH Luke, too small)... It has to be the eyebrows. Again, if you compare this:

and this

You'll see the strong difference between the real thing (more or less 180º arc) and Hot Toys (sort of Spock-like, rising too much to the sides).

My take is that, as with many other main SW characters, we are still to see the just-right Luke sculpt.
Leia is an exception, it was spot-on, being its only, but important issue, its lack of expression.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
m.

Not being a smart aleck, but I think you really are being far too critical of a display piece/toy. If you have to work that hard to dislike it, just don't buy it. As others have said, most likely we will never see perfection in these figures, so it's just nice to enjoy them for what they are, which I think are pretty amazing.

If these make you question likeness, you can always go peek at the original Kenner 3 inch ROTJ Luke from circa 83/84. Sort of telling how far we've come.

No one's received BBTS notices right? I got in stocks for Spider-Man Deluxe and Belle, so just waiting for this guy to do another shipment.

Anakin got a notice which I had to cancel due to some life BS. but hope he will be around soon so I can get him maybe next month. luke not yet thank goodness.

Back