Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i saw a video on youtube that supposedly had a shot of the HT sculptor working on the final release head, looked like the face was a tad thinner to my eye over the prototype sculpt. See i i can find it tomorrow to post a link to.

Night.

Any updates?

Are there examples of this? I know they were able to cast the Rey sculpt, which had the open mouth.

There's recasts of Eleven's Angry Logan sculpt, but they do a much poorer job of the teeth. The original has dentures whereas the knockoff has teeth molded in place and is immediately obvious they're different.

I only have a few Star Wars figs - I got the Sideshow ROTJ Vader and the Sideshow C3P0 and R2. First is excellent, second two are ... ok. Threepio thumbs and easy-to-break pistons were a let down, the R2 paint was a bit off, and both have battery issues. That Vader, though, is one of Sideshow's best ever sixth scales. Basically, I know that Star Wars collecting would be a huge rabbit hole, so I had to make decisions. I'd collect 'iconic designs' from the series. I'd love to add a Stormtrooper one day. I probably could have been lured down the Star Wars rabbit hole! TFA rekindled some hope, but then TLJ dashed it all again, and nothing 'Star Wars' has really grabbed me since ROTJ.

ANYWAY. I pre-ordered this one because ROTJ Luke is the one human character I just have to have: Luke in his final form, Luke at the height of his powers, Luke the reluctant bad ass and the empathetic pacifist. As a kid ROTJ was my favourite Star Wars because I loved the Jabba stuff, and I loved the Vader confrontation and seeing the climax of the whole saga. Heck, I was a kid, so I loved the Ewoks. As an adult obviously I have re-evaluated some aspects of the original trilogy, but that Luke ... one of my childhood heroes. I had that black suit Luke Kenner figure muddy in the backyard and dirty in the sandpit many times. I loved its little brown cloak. I'm really looking forward to having a much bigger and better version. Pity he doesn't come with a bone for jamming in the Rancor's mouth!

Some figures will always be magic because they represent the things you loved as a kid, the figures you wish you could have had then, and that you would never dream you would be able to get in such quality. ROTJ Luke will be one of those, I expect, and will stand proudly alongside my sixth scale '89 Batman and Joker, the Ghostbusters, and Tom Baker Doctor Who in that regard. I suspect many of us in this thread will feel a similar way once this one arrives and we open the box.

Any updates?

I found it but the upload date was like last year, so i dunno if it was updated head or just the lighting and paint application making the head they showed look a tad different.

I can link the video but the date on it made me take pause.

here is the HT video only 4 min long the head shot is in the minute mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BG_0VJoj6Y

Thank you for the video.

In my opinion the face on that Jedi Luke prototype, looks more like Jon Cryer than Mark Hamill. Im hoping that Hot Toys fixes it, or I may have leap over this figure. And I would hate to, since its probably the only Return Jedi Luke that Hot Toys is going to probably release.

That’s headsculpt is they same one we have been seeing from the start.

Nothing new yet.

I said from the start the sculpt was one of the weaker HT sculpt in a while.....but they just do not put in the effort with SW they do with other lines.

Best SW sculpts we have gotten so far.
1. Leia
2. Old Han
3. Anakin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leia is like a souless doll, both ANH and Hoth version, nothing like Fisher. Forget Tarkin ?

Leia is like a souless doll, both ANH and Hoth version, nothing like Fisher. Forget Tarkin ?

I did forget Tarkin.....

But wow, not liking Leia huh? I think most folks agree it’s one of the best sculpts?
Especially ANH?

ANYWAY. I pre-ordered this one because ROTJ Luke is the one human character I just have to have: Luke in his final form, Luke at the height of his powers, Luke the reluctant bad ass and the empathetic pacifist. As a kid ROTJ was my favourite Star Wars because I loved the Jabba stuff, and I loved the Vader confrontation and seeing the climax of the whole saga. Heck, I was a kid, so I loved the Ewoks. As an adult obviously I have re-evaluated some aspects of the original trilogy, but that Luke ... one of my childhood heroes. I had that black suit Luke Kenner figure muddy in the backyard and dirty in the sandpit many times. I loved its little brown cloak. I'm really looking forward to having a much bigger and better version. Pity he doesn't come with a bone for jamming in the Rancor's mouth!

Some figures will always be magic because they represent the things you loved as a kid, the figures you wish you could have had then, and that you would never dream you would be able to get in such quality. ROTJ Luke will be one of those, I expect, and will stand proudly alongside my sixth scale '89 Batman and Joker, the Ghostbusters, and Tom Baker Doctor Who in that regard. I suspect many of us in this thread will feel a similar way once this one arrives and we open the box.

Totally relate to this. I grew up in rural Australia so my figures and my figures were aways in the dirt and sand. Those things took a hiding ! I can't even remember which ones i had as I was pretty young I guess. I just know we didn't have much money back then, so I only had a couple. But now I'm fortunate enough to get these epic versions of those characters all these years later. This guy is a must, as you say Luke at the height of his powers. A Luke who doesn't shy away from adventure.

This guy crossing blades with Vader in front of the Emperor is going to look classic !

This guy crossing blades with Vader in front of the Emperor is going to look classic !

Absolutely - hope HT do a ROTJ Vader sooner rather than later though. Until then my Sideshow version will need to be a placeholder...

That’s headsculpt is they same one we have been seeing from the start.

Nothing new yet.

I said from the start the sculpt was one of the weaker HT sculpt in a while.....but they just do not put in the effort with SW they do with other lines.

I agree. In my opinion Hot Toys's peak years were 2008 - 2015, where about almost every figure reflected its price-point and the figures looked like the manufacturers actually cared about what they were putting out.

In recent years Hot Toys though seems to have gotten complacent, due to their reputation as the big boys on the 1/6 block. They have begun slacking, and many of their sculpts, quality, and QC on many of their recent figures, do not reflect their price-point-- especially since prices continue to increase as quality continues to decrease.

Hopefully other 1/6 companies eventually meet or exceed Hot Toys figures, and at a lower price-point-- it may light a fire under Hot Toys to get their crap together.

That is just my humble opinion though.

No you're right the prices are ridiculous. Their quality hasn't gone up by that much to justify it. More like they know that they have what we want so they can get away with jacking up prices. Though as others have pointed out to me many times, ssc jacks up the prices even more though. It's cheaper in hkd than what ssc charges. And since ssc is my primary vendor i have to pay it if i want it. I do miss the old 230$ prices to be sure. Paying 400$ for an IW iron man is crazy.

August..

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I agree. In my opinion Hot Toys's peak years were 2008 - 2015, where about almost every figure reflected its price-point and the figures looked like the manufacturers actually cared about what they were putting out.

In recent years Hot Toys though seems to have gotten complacent, due to their reputation as the big boys on the 1/6 block. They have begun slacking, and many of their sculpts, quality, and QC on many of their recent figures, do not reflect their price-point-- especially since prices continue to increase as quality continues to decrease.

Hopefully other 1/6 companies eventually meet or exceed Hot Toys figures, and at a lower price-point-- it may light a fire under Hot Toys to get their crap together.

That is just my humble opinion though.

Yeah, prices are getting way out of proportion, but I wouldn’t say the quality is going down. They’re still making improvements as they go along, it’s just the prices are going up faster.

Yeah, HT's prices may be taking off, but in the field of 1/6 figures, what you get for what you pay is still some of the best value in the market. I love my Sideshow Darth Maul and personal value outweighed logic, but no way is it a $230 quality figure compared to what that money can get you from HT.

Back