Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filling them in would be better if the rest of his face wasn't so relaxed and unexpressive. As it is, he has that 'looking-at-the-sunset" gaze that suits a partly open mouth with no teeth (or just a hint of the uppers).

I don't know. Its a goofy look. To me, seems like HT was simply trying to emulate the same look the original Sideshow Jedi Luke had from 2005.

Well, sort of....

old vs new.jpg

Last edited:
My biggest gripes with this figure have been the hairpiece (don't like the color or the shape) and the fatsuit (totally unnecessary, and wrong, for ROTJ Hamill). So, I ditched the fatsuit, took the shirt in a little at the sides, and recently tried making my own hairpiece. The hair strands and paint app are not nearly as refined or professional-looking as the actual Hot Toys version, but I can live with it because of the shape and color being closer to how I think they should be.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of how everything ended up (using the lightsaber arm, but with a Hasbro blade; and the bare hand is not the HT one because I wanted a slightly smaller one).

View attachment 439479

View attachment 439480

I would've preferred if HT hadn't done the bottom row of teeth (or at least not as pronounced), but I can't see why there are some who have a problem with the face sculpt. Seems like a good Hamill likeness to me, and certainly better than the ANH sculpt.

Oh man... The fit is awful. I guess that's what happens when you remove that damned fatsuit... I don't like the head-to-body size proportion either.
:-((((((

This sculpt is kind of peculiar for me. Overall I think it's a good sculpt, but at the same time there's still something off about it to where I think it could have been a bit better and I can't quite pinpoint what it is. And believe it or not, it's not the expression nor the teeth like many people think, because whenever I see screen shots such as this:

View attachment 439502

..I think it's a good expression to have gone with for this figure.

As was mentioned, I think the gritted teeth sculpt that comes with the Endor figure is way more awkward looking than this one.

Damn right you are.
I am also trying to put my finger on it. My 2 cents thus far:

1) Head is too thick. The sculpt looks a bit like a monkey. The too-thick neck helps to camouflage the excessive thickness of the head, but the result is gorilla-ish.

2) Eyebrows are not accurate.

3) They have gone way too far with the stains on the skin. Luke was too young to have the skin of an old man.

4) Mouth should be wider.

5) The hair looks so artificial... And the shadow between the head and the hair, that space in between... it definitely doesn't help.

6) Too much hair on top and at ear-level (looks like a damn helmet). Too long down the neck too. The fringe gets too close to eyebrow-level and/or is too dense (looks silly, exaggerated, like a heavy curtain).

7) Hair way too dark. Luke's hair also always displayed very different colors on different patches, depending on how lighting impacted on it, but the general impression was that his hair was light. Nothingn to do with HT's.

RfC
m.

Damn right you are.
I am also trying to put my finger on it. My 2 cents thus far:

1) Head is too thick. The sculpt looks a bit like a monkey. The too-thick neck helps to camouflage the excessive thickness of the head, but the result is gorilla-ish.

3) They have gone way too far with the stains on the skin. Luke was too young to have the skin of an old man.

5) The hair looks so artificial... And the shadow between the head and the hair, that space between... it definitely doesn't help.

6) Too much hair on top and at ear-level (looks like a damn helmet). Too long down the neck too. The fringe gets too close to eyebrow-level and/or is too dense (looks silly, exaggerated, like a heavy curtain).

7) Hair way too dark. Luke's hair also always displayed very different colors on different patches, depending on how lighting impacted on it, but the general impression was that his hair was light. Nothingn to do with HT's.

RfC
m.

I’m pretty happy with the RotJ Luke already released but I’ll most likely buy the new deluxe version since I plan to keep my original Luke with the classic folded hands pose with cloak (entering Jabba’s palace). The thing that HT’s did on purpose to screw everyone was to not include that cloak in any other release besides the first (RotJ) one. At first, I was honestly shocked that there hasn’t been much of any outrage over this (at least not that I’ve seen or heard) because that is such an iconic scene, especially compared to the deleted scene gear that they are including instead. After seeing so many in hand pictures, I am starting to understand why people don’t seem to care that the cloak is not included as many are not going for that “enter stage left”/beginning look for Luke. Just for me personally, seeing this opening night and vividly remembering how bad ass his introduction was, I need this look first. The deluxe will be fun to have on a shelf with other scence specific characters or I might just pose him on the speeder bike!

Filling them in would be better if the rest of his face wasn't so relaxed and unexpressive. As it is, he has that 'looking-at-the-sunset" gaze that suits a partly open mouth with no teeth (or just a hint of the uppers).

I don't know. Its a goofy look. To me, seems like HT was simply trying to emulate the same look the original Sideshow Jedi Luke had from 2005.

Well, sort of....

View attachment 439503

Yeah I agree the sculpt definitely looks pretty weird and goofy up close like that, but on display in my collection it looks spot-on to me, and I have no problem at all seeing the Mark Hamill from ROTJ (and a likeness that looks a thousand times better than the one on the SS version). Not sure why there's such a huge disparity, but it wouldn't be the first figure of mine to work a lot better from a distance than up close, and it's something I can definitely live with.

20190112_101436.jpg

Damn right you are.
I'm also trying to put my finger on it. My 2 cents thus far:

5) The hair looks so artificial... And the shadow between the head and the hair, that space between... it definitely doesn't help.

RfC
m.

Right. That's...pretty much what I was going for.

Yeah I agree the sculpt definitely looks pretty weird and goofy up close like that, but on display in my collection it looks spot-on to me, and I have no problem at all seeing the Mark Hamill from ROTJ (and a likeness that looks a thousand times better than the one on the SS version). Not sure why there's such a huge disparity, but it wouldn't be the first figure of mine to work a lot better from a distance than up close, and it's something I can definitely live with.

View attachment 439658

Yeah I agree. When looked at from a “normal” distance when looking at your collection and not inspected up close in detail, the space between the rows of teeth isn’t as discernible. Like I mentioned, I actually forgot there was even a space between the rows of teeth to begin with.

Overall, I do think it’s a good portrait. Definitely Mark Hamill. Though there’s something about it that leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion.

Right. That's...pretty much what I was going for.

Yeah I agree. When looked at from a “normal” distance when looking at your collection and not inspected up close in detail, the space between the rows of teeth isn’t as discernible. Like I mentioned, I actually forgot there was even a space between the rows of teeth to begin with.

Overall, I do think it’s a good portrait. Definitely Mark Hamill. Though there’s something about it that leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion.

Never being completely satisfied is what moves us further, higher, stronger.
Doesn't it?
m.

I followed some advice form earlier in this thread and removed everything again and did some more modifications. Removed more padding and sewed a piece of cloth to smooth things a bit more. Also sewed the shirt to the padding in the legs (which I didn’t remove) so it fitted a little better. Now I’m finally happy. I think Luke is ready to meet the Emperor, who should be arriving later in the week.

This hobby, like the world, has immeasurable room for improvement.

Indeed, but I say that it is up to us consumers to lead and guide this improvement. The sooner we start asking for headsculpts with seamlessly articulated necks, or seamless wrists with durable, realistically bendable hands, the sooner they will feature in our figs (I presume there are awful amounts of yet untaped technology that can get us that for cheap). Companies such as Asmus, which really get down here to listen to their customers (instead of ignoring or patronizing us, like HT or SSC) NEED our guidance as a hiker needs a compass.

I followed some advice form earlier in this thread and removed everything again and did some more modifications. Removed more padding and sewed a piece of cloth to smooth things a bit more. Also sewed the shirt to the padding in the legs (which I didn’t remove) so it fitted a little better. Now I’m finally happy. I think Luke is ready to meet the Emperor, who should be arriving later in the week.

How do the clothes fit the fig after all that? Did they fit tightly, or as if they were passed down to Luke by some much bigger brother?
m.

How do the clothes fit the fig after all that? Did they fit tightly, or as if they were passed down to Luke by some much bigger brother?
m.

They fit much better. More or less like the suit fit Mark back then, something like this:

219421_442066315844975_522145585_o.jpg

Maybe other figures were better, but in mine it was ridiculous. No creases or wrinkles. It was as if he was wearing spandex.

Indeed, but I say that it is up to us consumers to lead and guide this improvement. The sooner we start asking for headsculpts with seamlessly articulated necks, or seamless wrists with durable, realistically bendable hands, the sooner they will feature in our figs (I presume there are awful amounts of yet untaped technology that can get us that for cheap). Companies such as Asmus, which really get down here to listen to their customers (instead of ignoring or patronizing us, like HT or SSC) NEED our guidance as a hiker needs a compass.

m.

776.jpg

Sounds like the solution though is to just not collect at all. It'll save you the headache of worrying about how the next version will be the "best" one, and then how the next version after that will be the "better" one, and then so on and so forth. Everyone knows that the current version is simply that: the current version. The next version is always the best version.

Eventually holograms will put collectible companies out of business and these conversations will become obsolete.
736460acf99540d9e3876f60195b45dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They fit much better. More or less like the suit fit Mark back then, something like this:

View attachment 440030

Maybe other figures were better, but in mine it was ridiculous. No creases or wrinkles. It was as if he was wearing spandex.

Oh that is great. Thanks for the useful reference pic too.
Anyways, could you also tell us exactly what you did before this later batch of mods?

776.jpg

Sounds like the solution though is to just not collect at all. It'll save you the headache of worrying about how the next version will be the "best" one, and then how the next version after that will be the "better" one, and then so on and so forth. Everyone knows that the current version is simply that: the current version. The next version is always the best version.

Read it again.
m.

Oh that is great. Thanks for the useful reference pic too.
Anyways, could you also tell us exactly what you did before this later batch of mods?

The first time I removed everything I cut the upper part of the fatsuit and removed it. I’ve seen some just cut the middle section but that leaves Luke with a slim waist and broad shoulders, fine for Captain America, not Luke Skywalker. I think the padded suit can be entirely removed non-destructively but the leg section is fine. The sides around the waist have even more padding for some reason and I failed to remove it, and the shirt was a bit looser than I’d like so I removed everything a second time. With the extra padding gone and some sewing, the final look was much better.

Maybe other will prefer the other look. This is more to my liking:

C2A3415E-39EB-470E-B234-31F91F3A2B10.jpg

I don’t have a picture with a clear look of the padded look, but here it’s noticeable:

99106264-B6E7-4544-9552-A86DDDB3470E.jpg

I want to slim my luke down but was unable to remove the tunic top over the shoulders for fear of tearing it. I managed to pull it up enough to remove the mid section but as mentioned above he now has a body builder look with slim waist and big chest and shoulders.
I read in a previous post that some one cut the stitches on the flap of the tunic and was then able to remove it like a shirt rather than over the head. I am happy to do that to remove it and will then sew the inner seams to make it fit better. Question is how do you then sew it back closed once the tunic is back on?
Also what are people doing about the belt as mine only just touches the Velcro now he’s thinner?
Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back